What's your Favorite 15" driver.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I would like some input on specific 15" drivers that are optimized for bass guitar.
  2. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    ElectroVoice EVM 15B Pro-line (the 400 watt model). Not the deepest sounding 15", not what you'd call a "hi-fi" sound, but very, very loud with great definition; makes an excellent stage monitor, will cut through anything. I've got an old Sunn 2x15 that I loaded with these. It handles a low B extremely well; like I said, it doesn't sound real deep, but it is very even; the low notes don't lose any volume at all, they just don't sound real "thick".

With a lot of cabinets, it can be difficult to hear the difference between a low B and a low C - not a problem with these.
  3. Rockbobmel

Lucy, You got some splainin to do!!
  4. They were made back in the 70's. They absolutely cook. The best sound I've ever heard. I use 2 of them in a 2x15 tube combo and I use 1 of them in an old Peavey 1x15 cab. Perfect sound. You simply got to hear it. I lucked into my first one when I bought a cab for $100. After that I bought a pair off eBay. If

They are real similar to a JBL D140, but not quite as bright I think. They come up on eBay quite often and usually go for about $100 each used. It would cost about $150 to recone one if they ever needed it.

Here's the data sheet:

And here's some on eBay. The 421A on there now has a recone on it since it doesn't have the metal dustcap:

5. Rockbobmel

I wonder if they will take a Mesa 400+ (coupled with 4-10s). If they are rated at 200watts, I'm in trouble.?No Ypu mentioned the JBLs I saw a pair of E140 in the local paper. Are they simelar? Thanks, Bob
  6. Well, my Ashdown Electric Blue 130 has a Jenson Blue 15" speaker in it! Seems to handle bass pretty well!
  7. I'm really diggin my PAS loaded boogie cab.
  8. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    My 2 home made 1x15's loaded with eminence Kappa LF's sound pretty juicy, so they get my vote!
  9. For a 400+, you'd probably want at least (2) of them and to be perfectly safe you'd probably want (4) of them. They're really rated at 100 Watts RMS I think. They are so efficient that 50 Watts is loud as hell on them anyway.

The E140 JBL's are the latest incarnation of the venerable D140's. I think they rock. Very similar to the Altec 421A's. I think they handle more power too. If you can get them for a decent price, go for it. A 2x15 with JBL E140's would rock, no doubt about it. Go back to this page and you can look for info on them.

10. In JBL 15" drivers, I prefer the E145.

The E140 tunes much higher (72 ~ 78 Hz), has a slight voice coil overhang and a shorter Xmax. It is more efficient and has less bottom. The nearly-square gap/voice coil geometry makes for a very punchy driver.

The E145 at 35 Hz in SBB4 and has a very large amount of voice coil underhang and long magnetic gap, with twice the Xmax of the E140. The E145 is designed for lots of linear excursion and more low end. It is less punchy than the E140 but moves 2x more air.
  11. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I really enjoy my EV SRO's for a Blues bass sound.
    But I can't compare them to my 4-10 XST for a tight _allsy sound. IMO every one has one.

The 15L not the 15B
  12. Rockbobmel

You mean in the old SROs?, Or the newer 15L & 15B that they use in the Mesa cabs.
    I switched back to the EV 15L from the PV just to see, and It seems more musical than the PV. It rubs ever so slightly, but not enogh to matter. It is looser. Prolly needs spiders.
  13. frosty

Feb 18, 2003
    Southern USA
    Peavey BlackWidow for me.
  14. Bassstud1

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Mine are from the 70's
  15. Over the past 35 yrs I've used a few 15 inch speakers. Years ago the best 15 was a JBL D140 and I'm sure they still make one with the same specs. In rescent years I've used EV 15's (not sure about the model) and have been real happy with them. The last 15 I bought was a Hartke 115XL cab and It is the best sounding 15 I've used to date.
  16. Rockbobmel

Really? Care to elaborate?
  17. JBL D140F...I have two massive 15 inch cabinets that are stocked with these bad boys...I have yet to find a spec sheet for them...But I'd like to...So I can reconfigure the box demensions to use one in my rig without having to carry a 3'X3'x2' enclosure around...They're tight on everything...and the low end rumbles...I like these as much as an 18!
  18. Bassstud1

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    The size of the enclosure was one of the best things about the EV sro's I used Kustom sold them in 18"x18" x24" boxes added a horn and a crossover and called them monitors. They had one kickback leg that always bent if you bumped into it. Poor monitors but great bass speakers. I'm sure any one that's got a FEW years in remembers these.