Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your favorite 212 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rayzak, Nov 10, 2002.

1. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I am doing a bit of research now for a possible rig purchase after xmas (we'll see how good santa is to me). I'm very interested in the 212 cabs out there. I'm thinking Aguilar, Epifani, and Bergantino; but probably leaning more towards the Aguilar. Give me your opinions. Also, what kind of heads you guys running with these? Thanks.

2. i have only tried the aguilar. it sounded amazing with just my swr 350 head.
    Ross

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i'd go for the ag or the epi. i like the berantino but the epifani and aguilar are just warmer sounding to me...

4. was that a 4 or 8 ohms cabinet?

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Tech Soundsystems ND 212 XT or Glockenklang Double.

6. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    The Accugroove is very intrigueing. Has anyone actually played one or compared them to any other cabs? How do they sound compared to the ones i've mentioned?

Oh, does anyone in the states sell Glockenklang? I've heard such great things about 'em, but have never seen 'em.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own an Epifani T212 and am quite satisfied. A very "big" sounding, full-range cab. The Bergie is excellent, too. I liked the Ag less.

8. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    rayzak, contact bass palace, in scranton, PA. theyre the only ones i know of who deal with glockenklang. beautiful equipment, by the way, i played their 212, and was VERY impressed with it. its just the price tag is high.
    Bass Palace

9. I also owned a pair of Eden 2x12's with which I parted with because they just wasn't tight enough for me. They sounded kinda squishy on occasion but that could be attributable to my Mesa head being a poor combination for Eden gear. The Eden D212XLT did sound warm and full most times, with very meaty fingerstyle tone and all-around "rootsy" vibe.
    My new EB-MMHD212's are light years ahead of those cheap Edens. Rated at 800w's and with that throaty 6" mid driver that just snarls when called upon. The highs are very sweet being that there is no screecher in this design, the highs being provided by the 6"; very smooth. With the mids being covered the 12's can reach a bit lower and are a perfect match for my massive, deep, filtered dub bass. Oh yeah, did I mention that they were $299 new!! Love 'em.

[​IMG]

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Bassalone (www.bassalone.com) in San Diego also deals glocks.

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I took a chance and bought an Epifani. I like it so much that I sold all my Eden cabs

Rob

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Just got a Bergie 2x12. I didn't do much in the way of 2x12 auditions; this one popped up used so I bit. Gigged with it Friday night and the drummer said "whoa, that cabinet's got a$$!" I'm not ready to give a full review, but it has sweet highs and seems like it can throw clean lows or punchy mids on demand.

13. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    What type of amps are you using with your 212 cabs? How much power?

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I use a Stewart World 2.1 with mine. 2100 watts mono-bridged into a 4 ohm load. Major headroom and buttkickin' with the Epi T212.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I too use the Stewart 2.1. It's da bomb.

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

QSC 2402. I bridge it sometimes. Tons of headroom

Rob

17. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'm using 1 of these. Absolutely a great cab, and a real bargain. They run about $300 used now, but aren't that common.

18. Bergie HT-212 with a QSCPLX2402 and Demeter VTBP201S. Had the first try with the band this weekend and it was SUPERB! I have never heard my low notes so clear and creamy. Cut right through the mix and got koodos from at least three band members. This is an awesome cab! I have a HT-112 too. I tried the Epiphani once before but it sounded to "airy" to me. The Berg is very solid and punchy, ala 12" speakers, but nice lows. My notes from one end to the other were unbelieveable. "PURE!" Pricey but worth it to me. Good hunting. You need the juice with most of these cabs, so be prepared to have some watts. You won't be sorry. In fact, I'm just waiting for some disappointed owner of a Berg HT-212 to sell to me so I can have two for the monster outside gig rig. :D

19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Another very satisfied EB-MM HD 2X12 user here. It thumps, sounds great, and it's the best constructed cabinet I've seen. I really like mine.

20. I can't say that I've spent any time with the Aguilar or Berg 2x12's, but I'm happy with my Epifani 2x12. It's a nice combination of full-range response, reasonably light weight, and volume. The only complaint I have is that the older version (which I have) can be a bit wide and awkward to get through doorways! Also, it can get a little harsh sounding at high volumes--OTOH, I'm usually playing with my loud rock band at that point, and a bit of harshness isn't necessarily a bad thing when competing with Marshalls. :)

I'm powering it with a Demeter pre and an 1200-watt Mackie. If anything, I could probably stand a bit more power, and one of these days I'll get around to picking up a PLX 2404 or something.

Mike