1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's your favorite band(s) to cover

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by I Need a six..., Mar 27, 2015.

1. I Need a six...

I Need a six...

Feb 4, 2015
    For me there's only 1. Primus, and can only play and sing a couple and I can SELL THOSE TUNES. There my favorite just for the "this kids a freak" factor from the audience.

2. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The Grateful Dead.

jmverdugo likes this.
  3. There's only one cover in our set, so I'll go with that: Unfinished by Stone Sour.

4. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Lubbock, TX
    Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Pantera, Tool, Powerglove, Rush

I Need a six... likes this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Phish and Grateful Dead have become my favorites. The other guys in the band LOVE these bands but I never got much into either one so I was really dreading playing them because I was so unfamilar with them, and when listening to them they seemed like very quirky, difficult bass lines ( seems odd coming from a guy who grew up playing Rush, Maiden, and Primus!). But, turns out they are sooooo simple and they leave lots of room for for improv so I love playing Dead and Phish stuff now!

6. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    We do a few songs by Queen that are crowd favorites and fun to play (Tie Your Mother Down, Keep Yourself Alive, Stone Cold Crazy). We also cover quite a few songs from a 70's country rock band out of Chicago called Heartsfield...and although they are relatively unknown, we have always loved their songs and the crowd does too.

7. I Need a six...

I Need a six...

Feb 4, 2015
    I love keep yourself alive, my other band members hate queen :( or we'd play that one. Just like up to me, by Jethro Tull.

8. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

Oct 11, 2012
    Katy TX
    Greatful Dead

9. bignothingmusic

bignothingmusic

Jun 22, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    I'm part of a "27 club" tribute collective and play bass in our Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin acts (also play guitar in our Doors act). I've always appreciated Janis but was never a true "fan" until I started learning these bass parts. I initially assumed I would be more into the Hendrix tunes but, man, Joplin had some funky fresh bass going on. Half Moon and Try (Just a Little Bit Harder) are a couple of my favorites to play.

10. bignothingmusic

bignothingmusic

Jun 22, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    That's a shame! I'd say John Deacon is one of the most inventive rock bassists of all time.

11. I Need a six...

I Need a six...

Feb 4, 2015
    There's no doubt about it. Amazing player and one of the first "lead bass" players.

12. trebbihm

trebbihm

Dec 7, 2014
    Inland Empire
    Rage Against The Machine. Turn up, overdrive, and groove.