Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your favorite bass solo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Nov 18, 2000.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Hey, who else thinks the My Friend of Misery bass solo is da bomb?!? its simple but tight!

This thread is basically the "whats your favorite solo?" thread, ok.

So, WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BASS SOLO!!?

2. Brook

Brook

Sep 24, 2000
    Liquid by Ray Reindeau

Its so smooth. Great groove!

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I like pretty much anything by Victor Wooten....he is the biggest show off on the planet, but when you can do things like that, you deserve the right to show off. My personal fav. is a tie between Classical Thump and Me & My Bass Guitar, both by Victor Wooten.

4. andy wests solo on assembly line by the dixie dregs

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I know it's too obvious, but I'll go with Jaco on 'Havona'

-robert

6. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Entwistle on My Generation.

7. I'll probably get crap for this, but I think most bass solos really suck. I like it when bassists groove for the song, not solo. That being said, I love most of the solos on Jaco's self-titled cd, cuz they have melody and good structure. Plus he GROOVES.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But this is assuming that all music consists of "songs" - like saying to Tchaikovsky - "well, I really like your Piano Concerto, but I wish that damn pianist would play for the groove instead of all those solos!" ;)

9. My Generation is my fave rock solo, Spain my fave fusion solo, Paul Chambers my fave jazz soloist, Like A Rock (Bob Seeger) my fave guitar solo, Jaco my fave everything! Emory Gordy Jnr, Anthony Jackson and Rocco my fave non-soloists.

10. But classical music is different, a classical song is a lot of times played on a solo instrument, like piano and the rythym isn't that important in solo piece. In rock, blues, jazz, funk, r&b, rap, fusion, etc. the groove is one of the most recognizable parts, whether it be in the drums or the bass. I just don't like how bass solos sound, just a bunch of muddy notes. I do like how melodies can be played on bass though, especially past the 12th fret, but I don't think it's as interesting a say, a sax solo, just doesn't please the ears as much.

11. Bruce Lindfield

I think this is a "blinkered" view of music - rhythm is always important to a solo or any music full stop and if the piano isn't important - then what's it doing there! :rolleyes:

I don't think that any solo where rhythm is considered "unimportant" would be worth listening to and changing from "most bass solos really suck" to "I just don't like how bass solos sound" sounds more reasonable, but is still to me just "closed mindedness". If I didn't like the sound of bass, then I wouldn't have started playing it!!

12. I'm not close-minded, I'm just turned off by a lot of bass solos I've heard. I like bass much more in the context of holding the band together and grooving. I'm open to any suggestions of good bass solos, and I'd like to hear what some of your favorites are, but of the ones I've heard, I wasn't that impressed. I think a lot Paul Chambers solos in Miles' and Coltrane's records are really cool, as well as Mingus. Keep in mind Bruce, this is just my "blinkered" opinion, criticize it all you want, but you aren't going to change my mind on anything.

13. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Anything Les Claypool does! Fish on is a damn fine bass solo. But Les can make inexplainable noises come out of his bass. In my humble opinion he's the best bassist in the whole universe... besides me.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You think that's hot $h!t? Check out Dave LaRue's solo on that tune from the "Bring 'Em Back Alive" Dregs CD.....
    Dave's just BAD. :cool:

Not knockin' Andy, but Dave's a whole level up, maybe even two. Amazifyin'! :D

Another favorite is Roscoe Beck's solo on "Zap" by Eric Johnson. Just killer....

Both are examples of groovin' solos, in addition to being just scary.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

James Jamerson on Marvin Gaye's version of 'I heard it throught the grapevine'. That whole song is a bass solo.

Real bass solo? Humm.. Anything by Jaco.

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I practically had to go to the emergency room to get my fingers untangled from trying to cop Tim Bogert's solo on "Oleo," by his old band, Cactus. He pulls off some triplets and other tricks that a lot of good guitarists couldn't match. I e-mailed him about how he got his distortion sound on this solo and he replied that he used, "a Mosrite fuzz, lots of volume, and a good time." I think the last factor refers to the double entendre on the album's jacket, "This record should be played at high level." (It was the `70's after all).

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-24-2000 at 10:42 AM]

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well you've obviously been listening to the wrong stuff - there seems to be loads of examples here of solos that people like and I'm willing to bet they wouldn't describe them as a bunch of muddy notes. I can't believe that a bass player would actually say that - it just sounds like the comments I've heard from ignorant guitarists etc, to put bass players down.

18. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Come on, let's be ****ing honest and not lie about our ****ing feelings. (and there's a reason I chose to set off the language filters when I could just as well not have, if you dig)

It's perfectly okay to suggest to someone when they make a generalisation like "I don't like bass solos" that maybe they just haven't heard the RIGHT bass solos. You'll agree with Bruce that not all bass solos are "a bunch of muddy notes", I think.

So can we stop having to live in a happy joy joy rainbow world already?

That said, I'm tied between Portrait of Tracy and Continuum. That Jaco, man... he's something else. =)

19. here are three more in the classic rock vein
    champange jam by alanta rythm section
    pictures of home by deep purple
    bouree' by jethro tull that song would be one long bass solo if ian anderson didn't start blowing wind

20. Bruce Lindfield

Can you explain where or how I have been rude - as a bass player who plays solos - I take it as a personal insult to me when someone says all bass solos are just "muddy notes " I feel that this is the rude part!

I am open to any form of music and willing to listen to anything - bass solo, flute solo, mandolin solo -whatever. I'm not the one saying that all bass solos suck. I am open-minded enough to think that I can find good music anywhere and am not restricting my listening only to music that has a groove!

This is like saying that someone is "closed-minded" who doesn't agree with everyone else's opinion - so I should have agreed with Hitler and said it's just his opinion, that all Jews should be killed - well he's entitled to his opinion!! :rolleyes:

This is an extreme example, but I think furtim's right - why should we be nice to someone if they are saying something we personally find offensive?