Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's Your Favorite Brand of Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Bartolini

31 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. DiMarzio

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Lindy Fralin

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Nordstrand

23 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. Sadowsky

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  6. Basslines (Seymour Duncan)

20 vote(s)
    18.2%
  7. EMG

19 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I got a couple more basses to finish up. I've been using mostly Barts with Aguilar pre-amps or Sadowsky/Sadowsky combo. Anyway, I've decided to go to the TB voter choice route for this one. Don't worry about what sound I like or am looking for, just want to see what you guys prefer. Thanks. :)

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I was going to vote Bartolini as they are my favs. But if you have already used Bartolini and Sadowsky, it seems you have the "modern" sound covered.

I went with the Lindy's for a more "old school" type of sound. And since your others have been active, maybe go passive on this one, too.

Just a thought.

3. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Understandable, but if it is your favorite, then please do vote for your favorite. :D

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    My favorite non-OEM are Barts and Nordstrand...Both deliver.

My favorite OEM pup is Ken Smith's soapbar design.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't have one overall favorite brand, I've found all brands to be good in some situations and not so good in others. Sounds like a copout answer, but it's true.

But in the J world, I'd have to say the Nords have been consistently good to excellent in a number of different basses.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have used several sets of he Nord J's with either Smith preamps or Bart pre's and they are IMO very transparent pickups.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    After playing that green jazz of yours, my favorite jazz bass pups are those sadowskys.

8. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    anyone in the NYC area leaving the house today? not me! not to derail the thread..................

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not to derail the thread further, but your avatar's freakin me out!!!! :bag:

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have yet to find a favorite pickup but the closest I've found were a set of Celinder dual coils that are made by Kent Armstrong.

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For ultimate quality in vintage Fender type pickups, I'd probably go with Lindy Fralin. His Split Jazz are the best bass pickups I have, and I've played Laklands with his P-bass and standard J-bass pickups, which are also excellent. I'm sure Nordstrands and others are great too, but I've never tried them.

But for a balance of variety, quality, and value, it's tough to beat Seymour Duncan. He offers many options for most types of basses (and guitars), and IME they deliver great tone at reasonable prices. I have an SPB-2 Hot for P-bass, which is outstanding, and costs only about $60. I also have a 2001 Double Fat Strat that came stock with Duncan humbuckers, which are among my favorite humbuckers short of the Burstbuckers in the Gibson Les Paul Standard.

12. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Just a little Queensryche emblem (tri-ryche symbol)

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Aaahhh, very cool. Now I see it! It kinda looks like a clown though........and I really don't like clowns. But Queensryche, good stuff.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I also always remember playing a Joe Osborn Lakeland with Lindy Fralins. Those pickups made a real impression on me.

15. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I don't see that.
    I hate clowns, they scare the bejesus outta me also. I mean, you gotta figure they're on the run from the law, no?

16. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Aero Instrument!

17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Right now I've got 3 J-basses. One with Sadowsky humcancelling, one with Fralin single coils, one with Duncan single coils. All sound fantastic and have something slightly different to offer. I've got big plans about choosing a favorite between the two five strings and selling the other, but its turning out to be tougher than I thought. They are very different from one another and both are great!

The Duncans are in a 4 string, and many days, on pure tone, I think it is the pick of the litter. Duncan makes amazing bass pickups, and got my vote in the poll.

18. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I voted Nordstrand. I like the tone...it's nice, fat and punchy.

19. I have a KA soapbar on one of my basses that I think is SUPERB...and for the price, they're really hard to beat.

That said, I'd love to try some Nordies in my PJ....

20. Call me boring, but good old Dimarzio's do it for me! I've put them in every bass I've ever owned.