1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's your favorite color for the MIM Classic 50's Precision Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinnie Boombatz, Feb 22, 2013.

1. 2-Tone Sunburst

20 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Black

16 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Honey Blonde

35 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. Fiesta Red

20 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    I negotiated a great price for a MIM Classic 50's Precision from a local shop, but can't decide on the color! I currently have a '76 Sunburst Precision. EVERYTHING I have has been sunburst from my banjo to my telecasters, and now this P. I do like the 2-tone sunburst of the 50's, but the black looks real nice as well, even though I've never really been into black basses. Then again, the Honey Blonde looks very classy! Can't decide!

2. Black,shows scratches and finger prints way to much.

Sunburst, to common plus the 2 color burst with no red is kinda blah compared to 3 tone burst.

Honey is where its at!

3. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    That's funny, because I was thinking the same thing about black, but I will admit the black looks REAL nice with the pickup and bridge covers installed! I also prefer 3-tone over 2-tone SB, and just ain't a fan f the Fiesta Red! It may just have to be HB!

4. I think black looks sharp when its new, but I am not a fan of daily polishes and black seriously collects finger prints badly. The honey blonde wont show them.

I have the 57 RI american made in 2 color burst and I really didnt like it as 2 color is so boring compared to 3 color like your 76,the red really makes a burst pop.

I like fiesta , but not with a gold gaurd, a nice mint one looks great but then I would have to have a rosewood fretboard-the fiesta on a 50's bass just didnt look right to me.

My preference is the honey blond by far, it looks sharp with a black guard or a white gaurd.

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The best MIM colors available are in the 50's Classic line, IMO, with the exception of LPB and CAR on the Standards.

Wait, that's still too many choices...

6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    My personal preference goes in the following order: Honey Blonde; Fiesta Red; Black; 2TSB. Here's my Honey Blonde:

100_1252.

7. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I voted honey blonde. I like the looks of black basses especially with maple finger boards but I find that when I'm gigging I usually wear dark color shirts and that makes the black bass kinda blah from a visual standpoint, so that a studio bass color for me. The 2 tone burst would be my second choice because its a classic color. But that honey blonde is relatively unique, will show up on stage under the lights very nicely and won't show finger prints and smudges. Rock it hard!

8. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I have a black 72 PBass, that well shall we say is very road worn. But it still looks great on stage and in pics. It does show everything. I voted honey blonde because it is different, and looks awesome with the gold pick guard.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I voted two color sunburst. I have a Classic '50s in Fiesta Red, and later bought an AV '57 in sunburst. I got the Fiesta Red because I couldn't get one in honey blonde, and I don't care for black. And, at the time, I didn't think I liked the sunburst.

As it happens, I love the AV '57 in that finish, and, even though I've never quite adjusted to Fiesta Red, the Classic '50s is a perfect match for me -- and you can't hear paint!:D

Here's a blurry shot of them together. I play them interchangeably, but generally gig with the Fiesta Red because it shows up so well under stage lights (see avatar).

TwoPrecisions.

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I voted 2 tone, but Fiesta Red with mint green and maple is awesome.

11. I voted black and I am normally not a black bass guy. Every time I gig it people comment on how nice looking it is.