What's your favorite DAW and why?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Chaddycakes, Aug 17, 2013.

1. I currently use LIVE 6 and enjoy it, but it has been giving me some midi cross talk and a few other problems, and I'm considering learning another DAW. Which do you prefer and why? I do many different projects from original big band works to loop creations to recording audio to mastering stereo tracks to working with video. Requirements for me are groove quantization and notation in the DAW (the latter of which Live 6 doesn't have.)

2. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    MOTU's Digital Performer

Been using it since DP 2.7.
    Has everything you need in audio editing and it's MIDI editing feature is known to be the best.

Running 8.04 here on both MBP and MacPro desktop with Apollo and HD192. Very stable.

3. Nuendo. Very effective and love the mixing engine.

I like pro-tools for it´s like an SSL console but can´t stand having to pay min 10.000€ for a minimum set-up. I´ve seen now it went native but didn´t have the time to get into it.

For the amount of money you have to pay for a minimum pro-tools rig you can make top world class nuendo rig with much better interfaces and still have plenty of money left for pre-amps and microfones.

JMHO / IME

4. Daniel L

Daniel L

Jun 12, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Purely from a recording standpoint I really like Pro Tools, but that was the first DAW that I really learned on

When it comes to writing music, I use Logic to write out all the parts in midi, then I migrate those midi files into Pro Tools when I get to recording however

5. Reaper, because I'm cheap.

6. Chromer

Chromer

Nov 28, 2012
    Reaper, because it's so damn flexible. Live for loop-based stuff. No notation with either, and Reaper's groove functionality is... Byzantine..

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    What? :confused:

Sonar X2 does everything you're asking for. It's on sale now.

Ableton live and Sonar X2 are my favorites.

8. I’ve used many DAW’s - but currently I’m an "Acoustica Mixcraft 6 Pro" user, because it’s very user friendly (great for creating/writing fast), creating loops are easy and fast as well as quantization, notation (even prints out notation), midi, syncing clips, mastering, etc, and it’s really affordable, and powerful, and does video editing too, and Acoustica provides excellent support. Plus there are lots of tutorial videos available on Youtube. Oh, sometimes I also use Audacity as an outside editor with MC6PS, but I also have iZone. Sorry for the run on, but take a close look at Acoustica’s "Mixcraft 6 Pro Studio" - I think it may be the DAW you might be looking for.

9. Jeremy James

Jeremy James

Jul 5, 2013
    Cubase. Been using it since VST 5, about 12 years.

For some reason Cubase just made the most sense to me at the time so I stuck with it.

I don't think any DAW is necessarily better or worse, it all depends on what works best for you. Best thing to do is test as many DAWS as you can, use the same project in each to get a good idea of which you prefer to work with. Quality of your recording are more effected by hardware than the software.

10. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Never heard of anyone getting midi crosstalk from live, i'm a user since version 1.
    If you like the program, version 9 is killer. Update.
    But really, all these platforms are just about the same in their basic functions. It's more about the work flow preferences, and/ or specific requirements like live use (Ableton or logic MainStage, for live use, for example).
    I'd suggest demo'ing the ones that look best to you, evaluate workflow and decide from there.
    I have my preferences, but am willing to use anything to get the job done as long as the outcome is correct.

11. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Logic here, mostly since it was an easy transition from GarageBand and the bundled synths in the barebones program way outclass the equivalents in other DAWs.

But if you're having trouble with MIDI in Live I don't think you're gonna be happier in other environments; Live's MIDI workflow is second to none in terms of speed, reliability, simplicity, and versatility.

12. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Nuendo. Got the chance to beta test a few others, Avid, Magix. I keep going back to Nuendo. Its super expensive though and really cubase does the same, minus some post production perks.

I'm kinda interested in Bitwig, if it ever comes out. Like FL studio when it was fruity loops 2 and 3. ( I'm old ).

13. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    I really like my Presonus Studio One Professionnal 2.5.

It run smoothly, easy to work with, good provided effects.

14. SimonQwerty

SimonQwerty

Jul 24, 2012
    Logic pro is simply the best for the price choice to my opinion. When it comes to a serious mixing, I'd better took ProTools or Digital Performer if possible.

15. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I've used many DAWs. Most are overly complicated and a total bear to learn. If you want top quality sound in a DAW that's easy to use and runs pain-free on almost any PC, check out Presonus Studio One. There's a free version that will handle many needs. YouTube has tons of videos describing why users switched to Studio One. Some are well known music industry producer types. Heed what they say. You don't need ProTools or Logic to create fantastic tracks. Of course you can go that route if you want a full time job drinking their Kool Aid and struggling to learn the ropes (as you pay through the nose for expensive hardware). As for me, I prefer to focus on playing the bass. Studio One lets me have my cake and eat it too.

16. Chromer

Chromer

Nov 28, 2012
    What the hell is midi crosstalk?

17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Cubase, cuz it's what I've been using since around 1989. Midi only back then.

18. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    I used Cakewalk and Cubase back in the day (and liked 'em okay), but I'm a die-hard Reaper fan now!

I'm no pro studio and I don't do keyboards/midi, just guitar/bass/drums/voice stuff but so far Reaper has been able to do everything I've wanted it to do. Except edit video. And it even makes an attempt at that.

19. Cubase. Because it will do loops, sample playback, digital recording and editing, midi, and scoring - from real book lead sheets to full orchestration. I have been using it since it was Pro24 on Atari. Ack.

20. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Well midi crosstalk can sometimes be user error. In the older days of MPC 60's S900 / S1000's you had like 4 or 5 hardware devices hooked together, you needed to be VERY explicit on what channel went where.

Its similar in The virtual world, sometimes user error, sometimes theres controller information being sent to the wrong device or channel..stuff like that.

Then theres Jitter. This is hell for us VST type peeps. Both MAC and Windows suffer from a certain amount of midi jitter. But usually your project has to be a very long project for the jitter to show up.

Also, your controller could be a little flaky, and constantly send controller information even while youre recording...it looks pretty ugly on the midi track if controller info is displayed on the same lanes as the midi notes.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021