Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's Your Favorite DVD Collection?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    One of the great things about DVDs is that companies are really starting to put together collections of movies and shows in one box, usually with commentaries. Mine are probably the Simpsons seasons, because the commentaries are great and hey, how can you go wrong with the Simpsons? Also at the top of the list are the Futurama set and the MST3K collections. I'd put the Family Guy collection as one of the best because the episodes are so good, but the commentaries are few and not very good.

My list of ones I still want would be the Nightmare on Elm Street, South Park, and Monty Python Complete Episode collections.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hmm...does the LoTR trilogy count?

Or the star wars series for that matter?

I'm sure they will be my favorites when the time comes.

matrix trilogy as well.

I have some of hte monty python sets, and they are great fun.

the simpsons sets are always fun, but they haven't really hit the meat of the series yet(imo)

that's about it really, I rent movies more than I buy, and I rarely buy box sets anyway.

I guess cowboy bebop perfect sessions deserves mention, especially since it comes with a free Soundtrack disc.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey WR, just so you know, Simpsons season 3 will be out in a couple weeks, as well as Futurama season 2 and Family season 3.

4. mmmmm i cant wait for these 3! add the terminator trilogy to the list as well

5. "A Rockumentary, if you will."

:D

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

6. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    MY favorite will have to be The Sopranos.

Someday I will take over Tony Sopranos job and you all will become my little union workers that I beat with a bat. :D

7. Oh, and (eventually) when you can get all of the Simpsons on DVD. THAT will be a cool set.

Rock on
    Eric

8. I want the South Park, Family Guy, and Simpsons sets.

I'm too broke to buy any :(

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Band of Brothers.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hands down...

brad cook

11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Iron Maiden, baby!
    Visions of the Beast. All 31 of their music videos, lotsa live footage, and some parady videos.... and more. Good stuff.

12. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I bought the Back to the Future set and the Clerks animated set (I may be the only fan of the short lived series, but that's ok). Other than that I don't have much of a desire for any more sets right now.

13. amen to that

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My wife just got Futurama Season 2 for me today (came out earlier than I thought). She had the best reason for it too-"Just 'cuz." :)

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Oz (1st + 2nd seasons) im lusting for those two! damn it HBO, hurry up with the rest!!

Family Guy is simply awesome

16. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina

That was a good one too.

17. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    1.The Godfather collection.
    Cannot get enough of that first movie!

2.Sopranos

3.(We don't have Family Guy down in Oz yet):(

18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'd have to say

--The Godfather Trilogy (well, the first two make up for the third one...)

--The Sopranos sets

--The Simpsons

--Python

IMO, the best overall DVD package has been the 3 disc Criterion "Brazil" boxed set. Gilliam's commentaries are second to none, the documentary "The Battle Over Brazil" is amazing, and the original version of the movie is a scarily accurate portrayal of where we are today, unfortunately. The movie also contains one of my favorite DeNiro performances.

All that, and you even get the "Love Conquers All" US theatrical release so you can soak in just how bad it is compared to the European cut.

19. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
  20. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I have the Brazil and Monty Python sets, they are great.
    I'd like to get the Farscape set eventually.