Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your favorite head for your Berg NV cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rayzak, Jan 20, 2006.

1. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I was reading "thehurlatron's" post; "What cab to get for my DB750", and noticed many of you LOVE powering these with Aggies DB750.
    I've been absoutely loving my newly aquired NV425 and it sounds great with my Aggie AG500.... but, I can't stop thinking about an all tube head or a powerful hybrid like the 750.
    I know Tombowlus likes the new Sadowsky tube head.... if I were to be convinced to wait until I can save up for one, it would be awile, but I want to make the ultimate decision for me that would cure my GAS for many many moons:help:

What do you like, what type of music do you play, and what just really does it for ya?!?
    Thanks for any input. (sorry for the long post):meh:

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I see you've preempted my recommendation! :D The next best thing tone wise (and a much louder option) is the Trace Elliot V8, but they are very hard to find, so maybe that's not the most helpful option, either.

I recently hooked up my Quatra Valve through the NV215, and man, did it sound good! [BTW, Pat/Tim, you didn't hear that one, and it makes me think that the power tubes in my Hexa Valve and VA400 are shot.] Other commonly available, excellent options would be the Mesa Boogie Bass 400/400+, or an Eden VT-300A/B.

Tom.

3. [​IMG]

There are other amps? :confused:

:D :p

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sweeet setup, mark. :cool:

but i'll go DB750. just rockin' w/ the Berg's.

5. emjazz raves about the Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II on his Berg(s?), and so do many other people. He'll probably chime in soon.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    But I think he (emjazz) has the HT series cabs, not the NV series. To me, the NV series is all about an all-tube setup (though I admit, you guys have me wanted to give the DB 750 another chance), whereas the HT series sound better with solid state setups.

Tom.

7. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    [​IMG]

I don't have the ATK anymore but the amp and cab ain't going anywhere. best sounding rig I've ever owned, and I've owned about as many as Tom. I had a V6 for quite a while that I ran through this cab as well, but to be honest, for stage volume I didn't need the extra power. Not that I'd turn down a V8 or anything, trust me. :)

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...someone say V-8?...

~S~

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    God, I love that Bergzilla shot!

10. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Either a Sheltland Sheepdog or a Thunderfunk. Both sound great.

[​IMG][/IMG]

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll say it if he doesn't. I have the NV610 and an ABM 500 EVO II and it sounds phenominal. It's a great compromise. Good medium between the punch and clarity of ss amps and the warmth and grit of Tube. Affordable grouping as well.

12. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I agree, that one's been saved in "my pictures" for quite some time(as is your Sadowsky SA200/NV215, tombowlus).

I plan on keeping my AG500. It sounds great, is very light weight and portable. But, I would love to get me a big, fat, powerful all-tube or similar head to live on top of it at home.
    So many gorgeous Trace amps... and I haven't seen any of 'em around here in years:crying:

How does the DB750 compare to say... a Mesa 400+ or an Ampeg SVTCL... or that new VR coming out?
    Thanks for you input so far.

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    LOL! I didn't know that pic was so "cult"...

What do you guys think of the new Diesel 400W all tube head brewing?...

~S~

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    :confused: I think that's news to me! Any pointers to more information?

Tom.

15. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
  17. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I can't believe Tom did NOT know about this(Re:Diezel)! LMAO! So, what's next, Jackson...Diezel...???...

Anyways, not to derail this thread anymore, but, the thing I love the most about the Bergzilla pic is, in the backround you can see my wood burning stove, & the way the chimney comes out of the top of the V-8 is just priceless to me, it definetly smokes with this cab...

~S~

PS: Can't wait to see how it(V-8) sounds with 2...

18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I have a 425

I use a Peavey Classic 400, a crest CA-9 or a Woods Ulta.

All three sound Great But the Classic 400 has the most character.

Aj

19. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Peter has said it'll be released this year, looks like 8 x EL34B-STR's in the power section, and what looks like a 2 channel switching preamp (he's one of the kings of amp overdrive in gui****om). The stuff he builds is bulletproof!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224445

20. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...Yahoo!!! Where do I sign?...

~S~