Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's your favorite John Scofield record?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by peteroberts, Oct 4, 2004.

1. I think mine is Uberjam. I keep going back to it over and over.

Honorable mention:
    Loud Jazz
    A Go Go

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    A Go Go is the one I listen to most... Uberjam is close behind though

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I Can See Your House From Here, great interplay with Metheny.

Not as big a fan of the groove stuff, although A Go Go is the only Sco side I actually own.

I saw him last Saturday in Seattle. The first set included a lot of standards. The second set was pretty outside, even including his versions of the groove tunes. Great show, and Bill Stewart owns on drums as always. :cool:

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I was just listening to that one last week :bassist:

5. Passinwind

Cool. I've been a big fan ever since I saw him with the Cobham/Duke band (Alphonso Johnson on bass too, woo!), then a few times with Miles. The groove stuff is cool, and I do like it all, I just like the straight-ahead side even better. The show the other night was just mind blowing, and it takes a whole lot to make me say that, believe me.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Uberjam. Followed by Bump.

brad cook

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    nice! I wanted to catch an Uberjam show... I'd REALLY dig catching him do a set or 2 with MMW. I'm not a big fan of straight jazz, but I'm still learnin :smug:

8. He's going to be around here on Wed. Can't wait!!

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I like the 80's funk/jazz stuff with Gary Grainger & Dennis Chambers, was listening to Pick Hits Live in the car yesterday. Good stuff.

A Go Go gets some quality time in the Element as well, MMW is :cool:, nice to hear John in a different context.

I Can See Your House From Here is in my CD wallet in the car, but I haven't spent enough time with it to have formed an opinion yet. Think it's next, inspired by this thread! :)

10. Passinwind

Depending on the venue, it could be a lot different than the shows I just saw. The Seattle venue was Jazz Alley, a large-ish dinner club. Cost a fortune for the food and drinks, but well worth it. We sat about 8 feet from the stage, and the sound system is superb in there. It was a four night run, so the band was well tuned in by Saturday night. They let us stay for the second set for "free", but only cause I suggested that to them.

11. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    "Quiet" or "Flat out" are my tops right now. The brass writing on "Quiet" is gorgeous, I lifted "Hold that thought" for my college ensemble to play.

I'm not into the groove stuff too much, but I have enjoyed "I can see your house from here" with Metheny. Steve Swallow is really great on that too.

LM

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I love Sco, but have only gotten into MMW in the last year or so. Are you saying he has recorded with them? Or only toured with them?

I would seriously like to hear him play with those guys. If there is a MMW recording with Sco on it I want it.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    John's "A Go Go" is MMW behind him... actually how I got into MMW!

also if you don't have it, get MMW's "Electric Tonic" it's a web only release and I just stumbled on a used copy. it's my new favorite I think

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    True dat! I love Electric Tonic. I believe it can only be ordered through the website. That's where I got mine. I like it much more than the original Tonic album (which was mostly acoustic).

brad cook

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I respect Scofield and I like his music, but I get tired of hearing him employ that hyper-chorus effect (if that's what it is) in every single song. The guy sounds great without it. When he kicks that thing in, it often becomes too dissonant. Maybe if he used it every now and then, but a little bit goes a long way with that effect.

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Shinola! Steve Swallow on bass!
    Agreed!

17. 'Meant To Be' and 'Time On My Hands' are superb - Joe Lovano is one of my fave sax players - and Bill Stewart and Marc Johnson are pretty amazing as well. I like his recent electro stuff - Uberjam and Up All Night are both great - but his acoustic albums have been a little dissapointing. I've met Sco about five times - I've interviewed him 3 times - and he's just a top man, really funny guy and an awesome musician - long may he make music - I'm a fan too.

18. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    A Go-Go is where it's at. I've also got a couple live shows of him with MMW in some strange country. I heard he talks just like The Dude from Lebowksi?

19. Passinwind

I agree, but here's what's weird: in the show the other night, he used that sound for all the straight ahead stuff. When he went outside, it was substantially cleaner. Go figure...

20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    A Go Go is the one that gets stuck in my head. There are a couple of infectious licks in there that I'll stumble around blurting out for at least a day after I hear it.

He's one of those guys that plays two notes and you instantly know it's him.