What's your favorite number of strings to play on bass (If you have multiple basses)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 7, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    I've been struggling on my 6 but when I went back to four in the store at lunch time today, I was amazed at how silky smooth and fast I was! I think I'm going back to the four.... :)

What's your favorite choice, 4, 5, or 6 when playing at a gig or just messing around at practice?
  2. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005

What is that skinny little guitar string way at the top for anyhow?
  3. 1.

at a time.

unless I bang out a chord.

basswise, 4 suits me fine.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Probably five. My six gives a really good competition though...lately it seems that six-string may turn into my preference (for fretted anyways).

I just don't feel nearly as comfortable on four, and my seven wasn't as comfy. I think if I had a seven built to my specs it could be as comfy as my six.
  5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I really like a five string as I love the low B (or in my case the low A). I could use tune a 4 to BEAD but I like the extra string :)
  6. Ah, grasshopper is learning another benefit of the mighty six...

The sixer will really exercise your chops, so when you go back to a four, your playing experience will be enhanced.

The same happens with a 35" scale and a 34" inch. Play a 35" scale bass for a while, and really give your fingers a workout. Then pick up a 34" and play the same licks...feels like there's no effort.

Same principle applies here that batters use in baseball - swing a heavy/weighted/couple of bats in the on deck circle -- when you're "up," you're arms aren't weighted down, and you're in control.
  7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Five on bass guitar, four on upright.
  8. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I like 5s the most.
  10. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    6 suits me perfectly .....
  11. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I keep going back to my 4.
  13. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Somethin' about going back to where you started... 4
  14. Four, it's like the utmost in freedom and least restrictive as far as moving around the neck go, which I love. Nice and spread out.
  15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    6 just seems to feel right to me.
  16. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    I am strictly a 5 sting bassist.
  17. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Groove music, reading gigs: 5 string

Jazz gigs, lots of blowin' over changes: 4 string

A 6 is cool and all, but I like skinnier necks and have yet to find a 6 I like in those terms. To keep it consistent, it would have to be 2.9 at the 21st fret. To me, the trade off of constantly having a neck that's wider than what I like for the occasional (again, for me) benefit of sometimes playing an extra string I don't like the sound of anyway isn't worth it.

Again, just me...