Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats your favorite of your basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Post all of the basses that you own (for those of you with a LOT, just post the most commonly used 10) and then post which one you like most at the moment.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My favorite is my Ric, by far.

3. appler

appler Guest

Mine's relatively easy... I own a Squier Precision and a Fender American Jazz (ash body, natural finish, bartolinis). I prefer the jazz.

4. I own four P basses and a RIC.
    The RIC is my fav.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Hmm.. Mexican Jazz or Stingray. Mexican Jazz or Stingray. Tough call.

Stingray.

Of the basses I've owned in the past, probably my ATK.

~Patrick

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Are ATKs really what everyone talks them up to be? Should i consider getting one of them (used of course) in the future instead of a stingray?

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Do yourself a favor listen to any song by a band named Bane and hear for yourself. It nails the tone so much that its eary.

On second though, Its a very close tie between the ATK and L2000.

As far as getting one over a Stingray: Will you ever have the money for a Stingray? Good luck finding an ATK. I've been wanting to buy one lately, but I can't find any.

~Patrick

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well as far as finding one, they are on ebay a lot. such as http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2369416241&category=38080 its in excellent condition and the finish is georgeous.

And i might have money for a Stingray, but i also need money for other things. It depends. I might wait a few years and buy a Stingray then, but if i get antsy in the next year i might get an ATK.

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Thats a good idea, althought I'd take Stingray any day because it is more comfortable to play compared to the larger ATK body, although the Stingray is heavier than a boulder. My Comfort Strapp solves that though.

~Patrick

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    There's a nice ATK down at my local guitar center. I forget what color it is though, and I'm not a big fan of them :p.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes i have a comfortt strap -like thing as well so it wouldnt be a problem. I think i would eventually treat myself to a Stingray though. Just owning one would put a spring in my step. Even tho im sure the ATKs are nice, i relaly want to eventually (before i get old :p ) own a "high end" bass. My current new bass , a Godin SD Pro, isnt really that high end, it sells for $540 usually. (well, its discontinued now, but thats what it used to sell for).

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Yeah, funny thing is I decided out of the blue, I want a Stingray. I have been wanting one since I started playing bass, but all of a sudden I realized, I want one now. I sold both my ATK and L2000 added in my own $200 and bought me a brand new Stingray.

~Patrick

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll post all of my basses first, like you asked.

Peavey Foundation
    Electra-Westone Spectrum fretless
    Westone Quantum
    SX BG-80
    Ibanez SR506
    Lakland D55-01(actually my wife's, but she doesn't play it)
    Hamer CH12
    Fender Jazz Geddy Lee
    Peavey Cirrus 6
    Zon Sonus Custom fretless 5

And the winner is the Zon. I play the Cirrus and the Geddy Lee a lot too, but don't like them as much as the Zon.

14. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    My overall fav is an Alembic Europa 4 string, but I rarely use it on gigs. Currently my main gig bass is a Modulus Q-4, I really love how responsive the Modulus is. It has tons of attack. My backup is a Czech- made Spector NS-4CRFM. I have in my arsenal: '76 Rick 4001 w/Barts, Warmoth fretless Jazz w/Dimarzios, '71 Fender Jazz, fretted & fretless P-Basses, MM SR-5 and a MM Sterling.

I would'nt mind selling the MM basses and buy either a US-made Lakland 5 or a Modulus Q-5.

15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Here is my current arsenal:
    EB/MM Stingray
    EB/MM Sterling
    EB/MM Sterling #2
    1979 P-Bass
    Fender Geddy Lee Signature
    Mark Hoppus P-Bass (yes, it's pink)
    Ken Smith Burner 5
    Rickenbacker 4003
    BC Rich Bich (cheap and cheesy version)
    Custom Fat Guy P/J Warmoth creation
    Totally F***** up Subway Guitars Tele Turd (Never do business with Fatdog!)

My favorite is EB/MM Sterling #1, blue, with matching headstock, rosewood fretboard, and birdseye maple neck. The neck seems to have been made for my abused hands!

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Stable:

1987 Alembic Series I 4 string
    1998 Hanewinckel Ceres 6 string (fretted)
    1998 Hanewinckel Arpeggio 6 string (fretless)
    2000 Alembic Mark King / Series II 5 string

The 2000 Alembic is my favorite most of the time. There are certain things that I play that may have me selecting a particular bass (fretless for ballads, 4 string for straight up slappin' stuff, etc) but for the most part, my Alembic 5 string is my lead horse.

Peace,

James

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'll just list some favorites.

Brubaker Bluegreen Quilted Maple NBS Custom 5
    Brubaker Spalted Maple/Ash K5B Xtreme 5
    Brubaker Spalted Maple/Catalpa K5B Custom fretless 5
    Brubaker Teal Flamed Maple/Ash K5B Custom
    Elrick Spalted Maple/Ash Singlecut fretless 5
    Elrick Custom Spruce/Mahogany Semihollow NJS fretless 5
    Elrick Spalted Maple/Ash E-volution 4
    F Bass Black/Green Ceruse Ash Studio 5
    Fender 1978 Ash/Maple Jazz
    Fodera Anthony Jackson Quilted Maple/Ash Contrabass
    MTD Burl Maple/Ash w/Wenge neck 635
    Zon Legacy Maple Standard fretless 5

I tried... I can't get it down to 10;)

18. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, let's see, I own too many to list, and I like 'em all. Currently my favorite for any kind of jazz, fusion, or slappin' stuff is an F bass BN5 with a birdseye maple fingerboard. For any other live work (blues, classic rock), it's a Roscoe LG-3005 with a myrtle body and a purpleheart fingerboard. For studio work, my favorite is a custom Alembic 5 string with extra wide string spacing and an extra long scale (too many woods to list, it has an ebony fingerboard). It's heavy as hell, completely unusable for live, but it excels in the studio, it's miles from there to any other bass. Just plug it straight into the board, it has a one of a kind sound I've never heard anywhere else from any other instrument (even other Alembics). I've gone through half a dozen basses this year, but these three have been my faves for quite a while now. It'd take quite a piece of craftsmanship to compete with them.

19. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Between my roscoe lg 3000 and my 83' EB Stingray, its a tough call. The roscoe plays a billion times better , so Ill have to say the roscoe, but both are great for their own thing :)

20. Ibanez EDC 700 ( BEAD )
    Squier Bulletbass ( EADG )

fav : EDC 700