1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's your favorite reason for coming to TalkBass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tb-player, Sep 16, 2020.

1. I enjoy helpful discussions about the instrument that I love!

2. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with GAS.

3. I'm here to learn.

4. I'm here to fight!

5. I'm old and I have nothing better to do.

6. I just really like carrots!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tb-player

tb-player the bass player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    I discovered TalkBass a couple of years ago when I was looking for a Genzler Magellan 800 (great amp!). I purchased it from the TB store. I eventually started clicking around and found the Classifieds section. As someone who was tired of the eBay and Reverb fees I was paying, not to mention all the lowball offers on those sites, I became a paying member of TB for the sole purpose of selling gear. (Yeah, ask me how that lowball thing worked out for me here... lol)

Eventually, I got into the forums a bit. After some really nice and informative conversations and a couple of very positive transactions in the Classifieds, I decided to stick around (I mean, I paid for the year. Might as well get my money's worth!).

These days, TB has become a daily check-in. I enjoy reading about people's different experiences as bass players and sharing my own. I like looking at the variety of NBDs (although it doesn't help alleviate my GAS). And I enjoy hearing stories of making music from a variety of bass player perspectives. There’s a lot to learn here and a lot of opportunities to contribute to meaningful discussions.

But if I have to choose (and I don't), I'll say my favorite part (or at least the most amusing part) is reading a thread post and taking bets in my mind with how long it will take for a specific response.
    • How long will it take for someone to say "weight?" or "neck-dive"?
    • How long before someone provides a link (or five) to an earlier, similar discussion?
    • How long before a very simple question receives the most over-the-top technical answer known to man (those are always impressive for the effort alone)
    • How many pages will EVERY "P or J" thread go?
    • And how many comments in those "P or J" threads will be the equivalent of "not this again"?
    • How long will it take, after I say "I sometimes plug direct into an amp" in the Effects forum for me to get a warning from a moderator? (happened once. I learned my lesson. :thumbsup:)
    But seriously, I think it all comes down to people. I like people. I'm a people-watcher. Sometimes I'm a people-instigator or a people-enabler. But most importantly, I like connecting with people around a common, mutual passion, like the bass guitar. And, of course, bass people are the best people in the world (or at least in the band!).

What brings you here & keeps you coming back?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Doug P, 405BassGuy, Mark_G and 13 others like this.
  2. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Learning, and helping if I can. I love all the topics, but mostly I love the people. This is the most knowledge, friendly, fun, and generous group I have been a part of on the internet.

NativeBobcat, 2tonic, jdh3000 and 7 others like this.
  3. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Rummaging through the classifieds.

4. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Buying/selling gear. I have no use for the arguing over opinions, incessant fan boy-ism, or those who can't go a day without pushing their favorite brand or posting pics of their basses. Just give me the classifieds.

Holdsg and maxschrek like this.
  5. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Mostly tech stuff

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I know this is going to sound a bit altruistic, but I actually like it most when I feel I can (or have) helped someone here in some sort of way.

7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Topical entertainment. :thumbsup:

mikeyjm2, Dr Zee, Need Gigs and 2 others like this.
  8. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    I think this is most important. And it is distinctly different from someone who just wants to show how much they know.

Lorenzo V, 2tonic, retslock and 7 others like this.
  9. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    I try to tell myself that this is my primary reason for coming here, but truth-be-told, I get sucked into the conversations a little too easily. And I really need to lay off the gear anyway.

Doug P and birminghambass like this.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm hoping that my knowing there are 100s (probably 1000s) of bass players here that can play circles around me, alongside the fact that I can't read and know nothing whatsoever about electronics, effects and a handful other things - keeps me real, humble, and in that "distinctly different" group :) . I promise my intent is generally, almost always, good.

2tonic, tlite, OogieWaWa and 2 others like this.
  11. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    The Effects forum*, and just because there are a lot of cool, funny, clever, all-around good people here.

Talkbass is my idea of what social media should be.

*Actually, I'm avoiding the Effects forum until next year because I don't want to be tempted to buy anything until after the holidays.

2tonic, Dr Zee and bassb66 like this.
  12. Do not know... :unsure:

StereoPlayer and 2tonic like this.
  13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Amusement.....isn't a poll option. Big oversight.

14. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    There are a few members that give me endless entertainment.

Doug P, Holdsg, 2tonic and 4 others like this.
  15. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I think you succeed in doing that quite often, Joe. :thumbsup:

2tonic, Low Crow and Joe Nerve like this.
  16. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Because the bathroom at work has had the same couple of magazines in there for the past 6 years...

2tonic, BadJazz and OogieWaWa like this.
  17. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    Witty repartee, comradery with others (who may, or may not be deemed social misfits) and if I’m lucky, a thread that Jah Wabble has chosen to weigh in on.

2tonic and Son of Wobble like this.
  18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    I was a moderator for a couple Facebook bass groups WAY back in the day before Facebook received its facelift to its current “look.” Long story short, the old admins left, the groups weren’t being maintained, and the new “admins” wouldn’t allow me to help them out.

I left those groups and looked for a new place to help novice players. Insert Talkbass, and I quickly realized that there was a lot more for me to learn as well. I’ve been lurking here since ‘06 but I don’t think I officially joined until ‘07 or ‘08. I’ve gone through periods of daily usage to periods where I might go a couple months without logging on. Overall, it’s a nice place to hang one’s hat; I just wish some of the older crowd stuck around or wasn’t outright banned.

19. Lagado

Lagado

Jan 6, 2020
    Bullfrogs. I was brought here by bullfrogs. I was looking for information on my pair of
    Calabresi's, so I was typing in the address of my favorite site; TalkBullfrog, and the autofill brought me here. I thought I may as well give it a shot, there may be someone here who knows about bullfrogs, as well as the base guitar.

20. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    Behind you!
    Besides the first reason, the hope that my meager contributions have actually helped at least one person, and the simple camaraderie of being part of the greater community of bassists...

I like window shopping in the classifieds as well. I've actually bought and sold stuff via the classifieds and met some super cool people in person through it. If nothing else, that just reminds me that behind these words we see on the screen are actual human beings with thoughts, feelings, etc. Through the veil of digital communication, we often forget that behind these words are people.