Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your favorite RPGs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, May 30, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The whole thread about video games got me thinking about RPG's. I thought I would make a whole new thread about RPG's. A couple of my favorite are:

Chrono Trigger - Probaly my favorite RPG of all time. Great storyline and great characters. You have endless attacks, spells, combo's ect. which makes this game never boring. Robo is the S**t. I heard there was a CT2 but I've never played it. I also heard something about CT being transferred over to the Playstation.

AD@D Pool of Radiance - This was an NES game and cool one at that. I'm not normally a fan of the "maze" type of RPG's but this one was great. You could be very interactive with the game, by talking to your enemies (and sometimes paying your way out of a battle). I could beat everything expcept the Pyramid.

Final Fantasy 2 - It was the beginning of RPG's to come. I liked the story of the game alot. Lots of great enemies to fight and Kain was the S**t. I liked FF3 (or 6 depending are where you are) a lot too, but it seemed like the story fell off halfway through. The first half of the game is about protecting the Espers, then it seemed like the 2nd half didn't have very much story to it. It was just like, find your friends and go kick the crap out of Keifka. Still a good game though. (And Setzer was the S**t)

Xenogears - My favorite RPG for PSX. Only compliant I have this game, is it feels like the spent TOO MUCH time with the story. It seems like you go through 45 minutes of text to fight one 5 minute battle sometimes. This game got me into Gundam too. (Yes, I really sound like a nerd by saying that) And Bart is........yes you guessed it, the ****

Dragon Warrior 4 - It's like they took everything that made DW3 great and improved upon it. I loved the fact in DW 3 and 4 that there was a passing of night and day. This was when RPG's were starting to have a better story line than the typical "Kill the evil wizard/dragon/knight/king ect." And you know who I thought was the **** in DW4? Healy

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think chrono trigger 2 was actually chrono cross. which IMO was not all that cool.

my fav so far is final fantasy 9, with a very close second being chrono trigger, with ff3 (u.s.) being third.

i sure lub those squaresoft games.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ooh... tough one.

I'm going to be a wuss and declare a tie between ChronoTrigger (could you guess?) and Final Fantasy III.

Warwick5s is right, CTII is actually ChronoCross, which is on the Playstation. I just bought that the other month and haven't really had a chance to get into that far, so the jury is still out. Really weird spell casting system.

FFIII- Wow. The best graphics on a Super Nintendo game, and one of the few Final Fantasy games that could keep my attention. I found 2, 5, and 7 to be somewhat lacking. I just didn't feel compelled to keep playing.

Oh! How could I forget? My favorite non-RPG RPG- Final Fantasy Tactics! I know a lot of people disliked this game, but I enjoyed Tactics immensely. It has more replay value than any other RPG game I've ever played. (Although, technically it's a strategy game in an RPG format.)

Ah, video games, my guilty pleasures...

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Secret of Mana is right up there, too. If anyone has a translated ROM of the sequel, let me know.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Chrono Trigger
    Dragon Warrior 4
    Fallout 2 (Hell yes!)
    Grandia (I and II)
    Final Fantasy 3

My little bro is Waaaaay into RPGs so I have literally a few dozen for PSX, N64, and Dreamcast lying about. Too many to mention.

5. Dungeon Siege
    Phantasy Star Online

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Final Fantasy VI
    Chrono Trigger
    Fallout
    Fallout 2

I really liked Seiken Densetsu 3 (a.k.a. Secret of Mana 2) too, although when looking objectively at it, it's not a very good game after all.

7. Well, the Original Hero's Quest of course! (Though they have to call it Quest For Glory now because of copyright issues).

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm not that much into RPGs, the last ones I played were Baldur's Gate 2 (PC) and Final Fantasy IX (PSX) on the ePSXe emulator.

I like FF, but I don't play it extensively.

9. Often

Often Guest

Oct 4, 2001
    Stockholm Sweden
    Final Fantasy VII - Great atmosphere, great story, wonderful music, fun fighting. I spent an entire summer just playing that game.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I didn't know there was a Secret of Mana II. I really liked the first one though. I also remember this other game that was played exactly like Secret of Mana (though the spell casting was a wee bit different) You had this dog that would change from a huge furry beast, to a poodle, to a robot dog, depending on what part of the game you were in. I think it was called Secret of Evermore or something like that.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Secret of Evermore and Seiken Densetsu 3 (SoM2) really have nothing in common. SD3 is the actual follow-up to SoM, although it plays a bit differently. The ROM can be found in various places, and the translation patch can be found here or here. What I really like with this game is that there final twist of the plot depends on which main character you choose (to be precise, there are three different twists for six characters, so two characters share the same ending).

Try it, you might like it. :)

12. I really got hooked on the Fallout series, especially Fallout 2. They should really make more of them.

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    FFVI (III over here): a CLASSIC

Chronno Trigger: best game on SNES ever

Honorable mention: Ogre Battle SNES (combined RPG and strategy very well... i read somewhere that its on N64 too but i havent played it)

anyone besides me finished that game? (Ogre Battle 1) i got it near perfect

14. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Yes indeed Final Fantasy 3 is a classic. Also extremely hard to find. You dont know how much I paid for it!

15. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Final Fantasy 5 owns. :)
    Chrono Trigger was really good too.

16. Currently replaying Chrono Trigger on the emulator

-Final Fantasy 6 (FF3 for SNES) is one of my faves

-FF 7 and 9 are up there, too.

-Xenogears was fantastic, probably my favorite for PSX, I love the battle system, and the gears are just BADASS!!!

Superduck, I know where you got your avatar now! I know I had seen it somewhere!

17. Emerald_gasH

Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000
    TO,ON,CA
    hm...haven't really played that many video games, but when i played chrono trigger i got hooked on it till we had to return it..

that said, i've never played a final fantasy game

*ducks and runs*

18. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I like spyro... lmao. actualy Im not into RPG's that much. Im a first person/sports/racing and third person shooter player. the games im playing right now are grand theft auto 3, tony hawks pro skater 3, NFL 2K2, twisted metal: black, and dave mirha bmax 2. Im gonna get Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (sequal to GTA3. coming this october) and need for speed hot pursuit 2 (coming in summer) Im a big fan of games. I havent been here in a while (not that anyone noticed I was gone lol) I have been at www.gta3forums.com Ill be spending more time here though. :)

EDIT

ALL YOUR RPG'S ARE BELONG TO US!!! lol :D

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I've never played a final fantasy game either.

*Grabs the fleeing gash and holds him in front to block the flames*

In my opinion, Earthbound for SNES was the best RPG ever. Extremely strange, but once you start playing you can't stop. I had to rent the freakin' game 13 times before I could get to the final boss:p

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Explains my user title a lot better too, dun'nit? ;)