1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's your favorite string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by InternetAlias, Mar 19, 2013.

1. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I don't mean the brand, I mean, B? E? A? D? G? ...C?
    I think every decent bassist has something he could call a 'favorite string', which he likes the most because of timbre, or ease of playing, or something :D
    The question might seem awkward, but I think it'd be an interesting thing to discuss, especially when explained why. Aside from position and 'what the song really needs', we all have preferences on 'which string to play this note on?' if we have to choose.
    To me it's mostly D (60 in my case) - it is just perfect on my fingers and the position it is on my jazz is very delightful to play. Yours?

2. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Funny. I saw the thread and was going to sarcastically say D, because, well it is.

3. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    My friend (he plays a piccolo 6 string bass - which is otherwise called a *****r) says his favorite string is 4th, thus, D. What's so special about D? So far, 100% of us have voted D! Also, to add on to my reason for liking D the most - using the A string as a thumbrest feels so natural in the position I play!

4. lol, I was going to sarcastically say G strings :D - but seriously, I don’t have a favorite.

5. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    You don't have a favorite or you never really thought that you enjoy playing on one string the most? :D

6. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    open "A"

7. I liked my old homebrew one sting bathtub bass, it could have been a D - but seriously, I really don’t favor any one string over another.

8. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

Jan 3, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    "A" string is my favorite thickness/timbre.

9. I like B the most, but I'm falling for the E and C at the moment.

10. BAce

BAce

Jul 31, 2012
    Don't really have a favourite, but if three of 'em broke and I was only left with one string, I'd want it to be the "A"

11. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    It took a whole 4 posts for this one to come up. You beat me to it. :)

12. redhed

redhed Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kinda taking a liking to ERNIE BALL's new cobalts....

13. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    A from the fifth fret up sound best on my bass, combination of attack and tone is killer. But as always the open E gives it a run for the money.

14. "A"

15. redhed

redhed Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Oh sorry! Didn't read it first!

16. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    I love all of my strings equally.

17. walldaja

walldaja