what's your favorite technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by linebacker51, Nov 13, 2002.

1. fingerstyle

101 vote(s)
  2. slap

30 vote(s)
  3. pick

15 vote(s)
  4. two-handed tapping

13 vote(s)
  1. pretty self explainitary. my fav is slap even though i play fingerstyle more often
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Where's the "all of 'em" option? I'm not voting until I can express the fact that I like to have a big bag of techniques so that I can always pull out the right one for the moment.

Wulf ;)
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah this shows a bit of closed-mindedness to me. ;) I like using my thumb in conjunction with fingers, for double plucking and how about one-handed tapping, false harmonics, raking, palm slapping or muting or maybe some people would say Ebow'ing! ;)

I could go on - lots of ways to make different musical sounds!!
  4. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Another "all of 'em"-vote here.
  5. Basho

Basho Guest

Fingerstyle - just comes more naturally to me. Although I do occasionally throw in left-right slaps... usually when we're jamming without a drummer.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  7. i play mostly fingerstyle, and i slap wen its appopriate. i do some two hand tapping at home wen im just fooling around on the instrument. lately,i actually started playing with a pick, since i figured its better to learn as many styles as possible.even though i really dont like most genres were a pick is used (punk and stuff),i just decided to learn using it to be well rounded. i also do the ryan martinie finger slap on fretboard thing sometimes.
    man there r so many different ways to play bass, haha, its great.
  8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Fingerstyle (with the *very* occasional slap/pop)
  9. Fingerstyle mostly for me
  10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Right on Bruce, tell 'em how it is :D

Yeah, I voted fingerstyle, cause it generally does rule...

For example, I wouldnt call false harmonics a playing technique, I'd call it a chops technique since you'd be hard pressed to play an entire song using harmonics... and before everyone jumps in with a zillion examples of songs played entirely in false harmonics, there's no need, I'm sure they exist, but that's beside the point!

Does anyone actually practice two hand tapping?
    I just cant make it sounds good - I mean even listening to people like Stu Hamm use it I think it still sounds messy and clanky.
    I mighht tap a double stop above the opctave while fretting a note down below, but all this playing two parts at once, just doesnt grab me really... if i want to play two parts at once I'll learn piano.. they sound better :)
  11. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    A little - I haven't got any songs that are part of my active repetoire at present where I use it, but having a few 'two handed' chops was handy when I was demonstrating how the bassline worked against the chords in one of our tunes a month or two back.

The keys guy was missing for that rehearsal and I need to fill up less sonic space when he's around, but it's a useful trick to have in the bag...

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Hmm, I see where you're coming from, but it still seems like a great deal of effort for what is essentially a pretty aweful sounding technique.

I've never heard anyone make it sounds genuinley nice! It's generally just overkill IMO, of course.

I mean even when MM did it at that whatnot we went to at the basscentre it sounded messy to me, the tone is just poor in comparison to more standard techniques.

Q: do you have any of your bands material in mp3 - I cant download a real player at work and would like to hear some of those tracks :)
  13. The only thing I like to ~try~ to tap is the Charlie Brown theme, it's just plain friggen cool :D
  14. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I enjoyed the tapping Michael was doing - I was suprised how musical something like 'My Three Moons' (the three bass song!!) was. It doesn't sound exactly like other ways of playing, but that's the point - it opens up a whole different palette of opportunities.

Think of the sound of a double bass - sometimes that can be full of what is either 'extraneous noise' or 'richness'... it depends on your tastes.
    I'll have to upload some stuff from our most recent gig (once I've got it copied off my MD). I'll post a notice when I do :)

15. Bruce Lindfield

Funnily enough there is a bass guitar-playing busker who I see all the time in Brighton and who seems to do very well.

Now he plays exclusively two-handed tapping through a small amp with a bit of delay. I suppose the point is that most bass styles won't be heard through such a small amp or sound as good - but the continuous nature that this technique provides (especially with a bit of delay) makes it sound a bit like electronic dance music which is very popular here - it sounds a bit like electronic chill-out music!

Of course the other thing for a busker, is the visual appeal - so I've often seen people standing and staring for ages - obviously trying to work out how the sound they hear, is coming from what the guy is doing!! ;)

They then feel obliged to put some money in the hat!
  16. Ducksual

May 19, 2003
    I'm mainly a fingerstyle player so that's what I voted, sure I can slap (kind of) and use the other techniques but fingerstyle is my main method and hence my favourite.

Weird, gotta try that out, love two handed tapping.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

I'm not saying I like it - the bass tone would be awful for any other purpose - but people are just intrigued to hear somebody busking in the street and making a sound like that.

I think the key to it is the mechanical nature or almost robotic precision - people in Brighton tend to like electronic music better than they do live, real bands - there are loads of clubs which play this kind of stuff and are incredibly popular - people come from all round and London espcially - every weekend there are big queues to get in - but you would have to pay me to go in!

I'd rather go to a small basement and see a live band playing funk or my usual haunt - Brighton Jazz club! ;)
  18. Ducksual

May 19, 2003
    Yeah, but it has to be tried! :p

I cant quite get the sound though, sounds messy for me, but that's probably just my playing :rolleyes::p
  19. If two hand tapping is your favorite technique, why play bass? I'll bet your bandmates love you! :p
  20. Ducksual

May 19, 2003
    It's not my favourite technique as I said earlier, my fave technique is fingerstyle, but you've gotta love two handed tapping, 'tis good fun.

But about "I'll bet your bandmates love you" you are disturbingly close, but they're all 2 years older than me and listen to lots of music I'm not really into at the moment. There's also my hatred of 'root note' basslines which some guitarists (and some bassists) just don't seem to understand.

Ah well, they're all off to uni next year so hopefully I'll be able to form a band and we'll be able to do some grooving :)