what's your 'favorite to play' cover ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Sep 28, 2002.

1. hey, club bassists.....

what's your favorite cover tune of the evening?

some songs are just a notch above in terms of

fun to play
  2. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I'd like to play "Roundabout" by Yes. Ain't gonna happen, though.
  3. roundabout - :cool:

aint gonna happen - :confused:

very cool song..... what keeps your band from playing it? (many possible reasons.... just curious)

4. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith. Fun song and a GREAT bass line.
  5. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Mr. Cab Driver by Lenny Kravitz.

Actually, I like doing lots of stuff by Lenny.

Rio by Duran Duran.

Concrete Jungle by Bob Marley and the Wailers for its off-timing feel.

I could go on and on. How can anyone pick just one?
  6. "Synchronicity II". Not the most difficult song, but I enjoy playing it, and we always get a good crowd reaction. I've been lobbying the band for more Police covers (really pushing the Stewart Copeland angle with the drummer), but nothing so far. I'd like to do "Demolition Man" or "Walking On the Moon".
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I like "Stones tunes". Not because of the degree of difficulty, but of the fun to play and sing backup. (dogs Beware!) 'Dead Flowers", "Let it Bleed". The joy of the rock experience.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sweet Emotion
    Brown Eyed Girl(the drummer and I play it with a much funkier feel than the original)
    I fought the law
    Lucy in the sky with diamonds
  9. just practiced this one for the first time with the band fri nite...

steely dan - josie

:eek: :eek: :eek:

i absolutely cannot wait to play that onstage... i'm quite certain it will become my favorite.

for now, 'play that funky music whiteboy' is always a blast, and a crowd pleaser, too.
  10. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Always dug playing Roadhouse Blues by the Doors for some reason. It's always the highlight of the set for me and wish it was longer.
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wow, I have a ton of em, but here are a few in no random order:

You Can Call Me Al--Paul Simon
    Sweet Emotion--Aerosmith
    Blackeyed Blonde--RHCP
    Brown Eyed Girl--Van Morrison
    Time Stand Still--Rush

Hmmm, brain fart going on, I can't think of my other faves at the moment.:rolleyes:
  12. hey ryan...

i saw paul simon's band do "call me al" on 'saturday night live' many years ago.

terribly cool song, you guys do that one live?
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I haven't been in a cover band for a while, but my last band GUM! played a few covers. These were some of my favorites:

Peg Steely Dan : Need I say more? All of us absolutely loved playing this song except my brother Pat who had a serious mental block with the sax part (that he played on guitar - and it sounded great).

I Want You Back The Jackson Five : Three of us were brothers, all singing hamonies with voices that blended and complimented each other like only siblings can. It was almost like cheating. Throw in a funky-ass bass line that's a blast to play and an exhuberant front man (Pat) and you've got a recipie for success. My brother Peter sang lead vocals on this song and has an outstanding range. He hit every note every time. This song went over extremely well with all audiences universally. And as a bonus I got to sing the part at the end "Ooooh! Just one more chance to tell you that I love you baby! (baby) Baby (baby) Babyyyy!".

Sweet Emotion As stated above. I didn't play this in GUM! But in Gimmix, a butt rock band I was in in the late 80s early 90s. Always went over well, and we had the harmonies absolutely nailed. Me and the drummer blended extremely well in vocals, and absolutely LOCKED in rhythm. Crowds love hearing this song.

Little Miss Can't Be Wrong The Spin Doctors : Got me to flex on my slap chops, even more so than "Peg". Lots of fun playing this song, an athletic one for sure - I used to go nuts.

The Distance/Never There Cake : Sometimes it's fun to roll the tone knob all the way back and go for the "wearing mittens" sound. Fun songs all the way and Peter loved playing the trumpet parts on the guitar.

Hell Hole Spinal Tap : Yes, in GUM! we played this song as a staple in our sets. We often opened the show with Hell Hole. Guaranteed a great reaction from every musician in the bar.
  14. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Stain of Mind - Slayer - Not many people know this song, but it is a blast to play.

Disposable Heroes - Metallica - I love this song.

Greeting Song - RHCP - Really catchy.
  15. FunkyDom

Aug 31, 2002
    Are you gonna go my way - Lenny Kravitz

16. hmm, most fun...

screw up song...

we have a neat version of britney spears - hit me one more time..(just a little bit punked up;) )
    And a very fun version of grease, summer nights (also a bit changed)
  17. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Man, I would love to play that song live. That is some serious fun!!
  18. philbiker...

peg would be a kick!!!!! i might have to see if the band is up for it.

:D :D :D
  19. Domino - Van Morrison - We do a couple of Jazz breaks in the middle, switching to a swing beat with an improvised walking line - FUN STUFF!

One More Heartache - Paul Butterfield Blues Band (also covered by Robben Ford) - a real motoring groove when its on.

Assassin of Love - Willie DeVille - we turned this into a Dire Straits style thing - really bounces..

Moondance - Van Morrison - walking, walking, then punch the chorus - cool!

Pretzel Logic - Steely Dan - just love the song, some nice chord changes to play around.