1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

What's your favorite tone knob setting on your Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean775, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Ive been doing full bass, full middle and half treble, but I'm looking for some other settings that people like so I can try

2. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I set my SR5 volume full, the 3 EQ knobs flat (middle detent). In soft moments, I will roll off the highs.

I do EQing at the amp or the input on the mixing console.

mrbaloo likes this.
  3. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    In my "Stingray days", I would generally start each gig flat on the bass and EQ to taste at the amp. As the gig went on, I would do slight adjustments on the bass depending on feedback from the engineer or a need to cut through the mix in certain song parts. This usually was just a small bump to the mids and/or a slight cut to the highs. I left the bass knob alone so that my headroom wouldn't get sucked up.

4. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    On fretless Stingray 5 with roundwounds: Volume full. Ever so slightly roll off mid and high (just barely off the mid dent). Ever so slightly bump the bass (just barely off the mid dent).

5. Pandastylebass

Pandastylebass The Moon Machine

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Same

6. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I'm not knowledgeable about the specific frequency bands and bandwidths on a Stingray EQ, but I would suspect the heavy boosting of these knobs could ultimately cause mid-low and mid-high bands to appear cut in your mix.

7. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I never boosted everything on a Ray. If you learn where the middle is (no detent on the 2 band ray classic), start there. I had my bass a little past the middle and the treble a little back. It was the sound from all the classic 'Ray records..Sade, for example. Exact same tone.

SJan3, 16notes, lowdownthump and 3 others like this.
  8. BubbaZed

BubbaZed

Apr 25, 2014
    Tallahassee, FL
    I like my Ray bassey sounding with a bit of punch. Full bass, treble off and the mid from a quarter to full. My amp is set flat.

9. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Usually flat, slight slight mid bump as needed.

10. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    So the treble is full off and the bass is fully on? That actually sounds pretty interesting, I'll try that out later.

11. BubbaZed

BubbaZed

Apr 25, 2014
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yes. I used to play with the mids off too. You do loose a bit of the StingRay growl. I want a bit more punch so I upped the mids too.

12. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Mine is a two band. I generally like it with the bass dimed, and the treble up about half way

SJan3 likes this.
  13. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    When I had 3 eq rays I always bumped the mid and bass a bit from center and rolled off the treble a little, now I only have 2eqs and I usually have the bass about 3/4s up and treble in the middle. Sometimes I move the bass but pretty much never touch the treble... Amp is usually flat...

14. Mine is a 3 band SR5. I usually run the volume about 90%, treble and mids flat, and bass flat too or a slight boost but not much. A little goes a long way.

15. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    3 band -- Slight bass boost, mid and treble flat

2 band -- bass slightly over center, treble centered.

Grapevine921 and AngelCrusher like this.
  16. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

I take advantage of my SUB Ray4’s (2-band) versatility while looping and use different EQ settings for each layer- usually full cut for the chords, then bump the bass up halfway for the bass line, then cut it and roll on the treble for the melody.

Playing with others, I’ll usually cut both to begin with and then roll them up evenly until I find my ideal presence in the mix.

Seldom if ever dime the bass unless it’s demanded of me. Too much boom.

--^@

17. I used to have the bass on full, but backed it off to a little past the mid-point. during the show if I think I need more bass I will boost it a bit. The treble at the mid point but I will boost it if I do some string popping. I used to have the mid at the mid point or a little boost. But, the drummer owns the PA and runs it with a low and high boost so I put my mid on full to compensate. I am happy with these settings. I have a 1990 SR5.

18. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    I love setting my knob on my Stingray.

Kanoley19 likes this.
  19. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Mine’s a 2-band. I love the no center-detente, because I can’t feel where flat is and don’t get any preconceived notions that way. Just twiddle the knobs until it fits the mix and be done!

Morrighan likes this.
  20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    I don't have a stingray yet

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021