whats your favorite type of bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nickname, Jul 5, 2005.

1. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    what type of music do you play?
    what guitar(s) do u own?
    Do some of you use different brands for different guitarS?
  2. I have a green StingRay. I like the sound and feel of DR Highriders.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Dingwall Voodoo Bass Strings.

I play both kinds of music. Reggae & Soul.

Stuff I currently have:

Dingwall AB1
    PRS EB
    Fender Precision 1973
    Fender Jazz
    Fender Jazz fretless
    Stratocaster (heavily modded)
    Alvarez acoustic

The PRS gets Rotos.
    The Precision gets D'addario (however you spell it)
    The Jazz Fretless has half flats currently, but sometimes Nylon tape wound
    The Jazz gets DRs
    The Telecaster gets more D'addarios
    The Strat gets GHS.
    The Acoustic gets whatever I'm feeling like
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Flats :bassist: Labella Deep Talkin' Flats and D'Addario Chromes are my current strings. Both sets have the 105 E.
    Country, rock, oldies ... sorta in that order.
    I own a cheap Samick that I use for testing effects.
    For bass, I mainly play 4 string Fender P basses.
    No, but I do use different brands for different styles. I prefer the LaBella's but I have been using the chromes for a slightly brighter tone for rock.
  5. caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    Pirastros on almost all of my Status basses, sometimes DR HiBeams, DR HiBeams on the Moon fretless, D'Angelico steels for rock on all basses.
  6. fat flats

fat flats

Jul 6, 2005
    mid east NY
    so far Diaddario Chromes 50-105 set

what type of music do you play?
    blues,rock,?trance? but with instruments

what guitar(s) do u own?
    Basses:Cort B4, used to have Peavey T40.
    Guitars:Danelectro DC59 early reissue,Epiphone PR350s

actually no. I use the chromes for my bass, phosphor bronze for acoustic and nickle wounds for electric.

I have tried Ernie Ball hybrids for bass, DR for acoustic.
  7. TriplePowerMax

Jul 2, 2005
    I use Elixir Nanoweb for my bass (Ibanez RB 650).
    What type of music I play?
    From funk, blues and rock'n'roll to trash, speed, power, progressive (especially) and other kind of metall.
  8. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I really like the T-I Jazz flats and the Labella deep talking tapewounds.

'84 G&L SB-2 with the T-I flats has a godly wooden sound. I think I'll never change those strings.

'05 G&L Tribute L-2500 with LaBella tapewounds. Hs the greatest wet rubber/burp with a bit of twangy if you look for it. I also have an old heavy roundwound G string on it to help keep it from hiding in the mix. I can lay off and have it sound nice wich is way better than trying to dig hard to bring it out. Hate the "disappearing G string" phenomenon. I don't even remember what brand the G is. It's pretty heavy though, might be a light D string :D .

I play classic rock, blues, oldies and pop. Fingerstyle or with a pick. I don't play any slap.
  9. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I play alternative rock & power/pop on both fretted & fretless Fender MIJ Jazz Specials...strung with Ken Smith Tapercores. They sound like Rotos, but have better bottom & are more consistent in quality.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

1. Roundwound... usually steel but sometimes nickel
    2. Mostly rock (most flavors), also R&B, funk, punk, blues, C&W, etc
    3. Currently: Fender Roscoe Beck 5, Sadowsky P5
    4. Absolutely. I haven't found an overall favorite string, but I have certain favorites for certain basses. I've even found strings that I don't like on one bass but like a lot on another.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Another vote for the Smith Tapercores.... nysbob is right on.

I also like Sadowsky Bright Nickels, LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels, DR (Fat Beams, Hi Beams, Lo Riders), D'Addario EXL, Elixir Nanowebs. And I guess I still like Rotosound RS66es, but they do seem to die quickly.
  12. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I like GHS Pressurewounds on my Warwick rockbass corvette and Ernie ball flatwounds on my Warmoth '51 P. I play a little bit of everything, except metal.
  13. Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    Current set up

SX Custom Bass:
    Ernie medium gauge roundwounds

Ibanez Artcore:
    XL flatwound chromes
  14. Elixer Nanoweb .050-.105's on an MIA Fender Jazz Bass with Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickups.
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thomastik-Infeld Superalloys
    Rock, Funk, Blues, Pop, and Jazz
    1997 MIA Fender Jazz

16. lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    Rotosound Nickel Roundwounds .45-.105 every time :)
  17. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I liked D'Addario Prisms when they were around...havent tried the XLs yet, but I loved the brightness of the Prisms on my Warwick Corvette...sounded like heaven

Right now, I have a set of SIT Rock Bright Stainless strung up...they aren't that bad really.

I'd say my next set is gonna be a back of XL Prosteels...heavy gauge probably
  18. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Rotosound Swing Bass on my Ibanez SR885. I use it in classic rock and hard rock music. I'll occassionally use DR strings but they aren't as common in the music shops around here.
  19. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Whats your favorite type of bass strings?
    - As I get older, I've found myself moving to a more 'traditional' sound. I recently put D'Addario Chromes on my fretless, and was surprised at how much brightness they retained, so I ordered a Super Long 5 string set of the same for my fretted bass. My favourite roundwound string was/is DR Nickel Low Riders.

What type of music do you play?
    - A grab bag. Everything but country and metal.

What guitar(s) do u own?
    - Lakland 55-02 Standard, Warwick Streamer Bolt-On fretless 4, Beaver Creek BCB05 ABG

- When the Super Long Chromes come in, it'll be all D'Addario, all the time.
  20. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I play mostly classic rock in the vein of Yes, Rush, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Genesis, etc.

For me, strings have to be stainless steel and roundwound. Anything else just sounds dead to me. First choice is Rotosound RS66 LC's (.40-.95). Second is DR High Beams (.40-100), and then Ken Smiths (.40-.95). I sacrifice a bit in not being able to get certain tones, but I really don't want them to begin with. My Alembics can pretty much make up for the less than "perfect" string choice, as can my Pedulla. I just can't take half rounds, flats, nickel wrap, etc. They just have no life to them to me, but hey, to each their own. And yes, I like light to medium light gauge. Standard gauge (.45-.105) feel like telephone cables to me - too hard to bend much, and I do a lot of that as I am more of a fingerstyle player than anything else.

The only problem using such light strings is, in my experience, is that it's sometimes difficult to get a bass set up properly, without buzzing. My '73 Jazz and '79 Musicman gave me fits getting them set up with the Rotos. Ditto my Bongo (I'm still tweaking it). My Alembics are a bit more forgiving, and I've got them where I want them. Same goes for my Gibsons and Pedulla. My Ricks? They were designed for low action if you ask me!