Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your favorite type of strap and how low do you adjust it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nate Dawg, Sep 9, 2000.

1. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    OK, so we've had "What's your favorite ________?" questions before, but I was just wondering what the rest of you consider your favorite type of strap? Do you have an expensive padded one because your bass is heavy, or do you use a cheap nylon one that cuts into your shoulder?

Do you let your bass hang low on you, or do you like to have the strap short and keep the bass up high on your chest?

I guess another question that could be asked is whether you prefer to play standing or sitting...

Personally, I have a cheap nylon strap that I use with my heavier bass. It gets tiring sometimes, but I like the balance I get better than the suede one that I use with my lighter bass. I also prefer to have my bass slung low on my body, although I have been experimenting with it up higher.

2. After years of playing with a 2 1/2" wide nylon strap about 4 months ago I got a Levy's 3 1/2" wide padded leather strap. What a difference. The old strap really dug into my shoulder and it'd be pretty painful by the fourth set. The new strap is much more comfortable. I recommend it highly.

I play standing up most of the time, even at rehersal. I only play sittng down when I'm practising by myself at home. I keep the strap adjusted so that the bass is at the same height as it is when I'm sitting playing without a strap. Not real high, not real low, right in the middle.

3. well... I have been using a cheap nylon strap until august... then I bought a D'addario Planet Waves strap that locks onto your strap buttons and has pad...
    but to tell you the truth I don´t like it much better... I´m always changing the pad´s position and it doesn´t feel 3 times more money better than my old nylon strap... but I guess it´s better for my shoulder though... :)

and I strap my bass same height as MM...

[Edited by The_Bass on 09-09-2000 at 08:43 PM]

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    On my Jazz I use a wide, padded Fender leather strap, much more comfortable than nylon. The body of the bass sits on my stomach, also well padded :D

On my Starfire I use a nylon strap but it is a much lighter bass. I also wear it lower and hold the neck at more of an angle because the body of this bass is very large.

Mike

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have Levy's 3-inch-wide and 3.5-inch-wide leather straps that are fine, but somehow, I prefer their heavy-duty nylon straps with suede ends. The ends are real thick leather and hold well. They cost 8 or 9 bucks, and I have one in each bass case. I think it's the simplicity that attracts me to them. Mine are all black, but I've seen red, blue and other colors. They're plenty wide and stout, so you don't get the same fatigue that comes from the narrow flimsy ones.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I use a Carvin Deluxe Guitar Strap.
    My last strap was Dimarzio Quick Release, and 1 plus was the retaining system (buckles) but hurt a lot on the neck becaus it was 2" nylon.
    I use my bass just a bit over the stomach. just a little lower than sitting.
    If im gonna do lots of tap/slap y use it higher.

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I use a couple of different straps mostly a 2" plain jane strap will do, but I have a Jazz bass that wiegh's in at around 13 lbs so I use a wide padded one for that bass.

8. Years ago I had a D'Addario leather strap - 4" wide - and nothing but one big single piece of leather. That was the best strap I ever had and I sold it with the bass *&%$@!! They aren't available anymore so I have contacted a local leather guy to make me one that is similiar.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a thick leather strap, probably about 3" wide, with a thick cotton underside. It's great, because my 10-1/2 pound Spector doesn't get as tiring to hold after a few hours as if I used a non-padded strap.

But it's starting to get a little worn, so I may have to replace it eventually...

10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I had been using an old nylon strap that I have had forever, but I recently bought a Levy 3" strap that looks like it will send the nylon one into retirement. :)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can't recommend the "Comfort Strapp" highly enough - this is very padded and the only way I could play a 6-string. I go for very high and these are adjustable all the way. Can't think who makes them, but I'm sure you can buy them online. Before that I used a very wide black leather strap but this was nothing like as comfortable. I think what makes the difference is the material - like whatever wetsuits are made out of, but thicker and very light.

12. I use a Peavy padded strap, almost like the D'addario Planet Waves ones (actually it looks exactly like one). I use it on my Fender Jazz 5 String (That guitar is HEAVY). I'm thinking about buying a cheap strap to leave with my Ibanez GSR 200 (That thing is really light) so I don't have to reach into my fender case just to get my strap, but that requires MONEY.

13. My choice of strap depends on who I'm playing with.
    <p>If I'm playing with a metal band I'll use my black leather strap with the metal studs, if I'm playing with a punk band I'll use my fuzzy cheatah print strap, if I'm playing classic rock I'll use my leather Fender strap, if I'm playing Funk I'll use my fuzzy black feather boa looking strap.
    <p> My favorite strap is my cheap nylon one because you can slide it up or down on your shoulder. I like to move around a little bit.

14. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    2 1/2" leather Levy's straps are the best all around in my opinion.
    I bought a blue note Nylon and Pad adjustable deluxe blah blah blah and I'd trade 10 of the blue notes for 1 of the Levy's.
    Never tried padded leather stuff, but I'm happy with the basic 2 piece leather strap. Call me crazy...

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm with Bruce on this one (and no, I'm not on any medication...;) ), nothing beats the Comfort Strapp (they spell it with 2 p's...). Completely and totally adjustable, and easily the most comfortable strap I've ever owned in 20+ years. It adjusts easily for playing position, and then stays put once you get it where you want it (you know, the angle the bass is at when it's hanging on your shoulder). They're a bit pricy, (~$40) but if you have a heavy bass, you'll be VERY happy that you spent the money. I got both of mine at Bass Central, I'd imagine that any of the similar places (Bass NW, LA Bass EX, etc) would be able to get one for you. At one point, I was playing 6 hrs a nite, 4 nites a week, and never once did I get shoulder fatigue....and my bass is HEAVY (~12 lbs). Try that with a cheap nylon strap........... :D

As for the rest of the question. I always play with my bass on a strap and hanging. My reasoning is that I'm going to perform standing up with the bass on the strap, and if I practice differently from that, it will make my performance that much more difficult. I even bought a special chair (it's called a "computer chair", got it at Office Max...weird lookin' gizmo, you kinda kneel on a pad, and there's another pad under your butt) that lets me "sit" and have my bass hanging as it would when I'm standing. The bass hangs sort of "mid-chest", not TOO high, but definetly not very "rock and roll" looking either.

16. I use one of them big fat leather straps. It's probably the 4th or 5th strap I've gone through looking for something comfortable.
    Anyway, I play standing most of the time, with my bass hanging right at...ummm...between stomach and crotch. :D :p

17. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Nate Dawg. Sup.
    Thats funny. My name is Nate.
    A good friend of mine that happens to be black nick named me Nate Dawg.

I like the Comfort Strap.
    I wear my bass really high.

18. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Wide, padded straps are the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Those narrow, nylon guitar straps cut into my shoulders and do nothing to alleviate the weight of standing a long time with the bass. The wide, padded straps are more expensive, but they are worth it. Anyway, everything to do with bass guitar seems to be more expensive.

The only time I play seated is when I am at home practcing. I rehearse standing because I want to be able to play the same way live as at the rehearsal. I wear the bass lower than Billy Sheehan does, but higher than Duff McKagan, maybe about like Jason Newsted does. Personally, I just don't see how anyone can play a bass convincingly with it hanging nearly at the knees.

Jason Oldsted

19. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I am surprised no one mentioned the neotech straps. I have three,all with dunlops. My 6er is hung high. the jazz and a/e guild are medium and the stein is low...

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    SlapDaddy -

Extra credit for the Dunlop Strap Lock mention. Don't leave home without them, I never do. Used to use the Schallers, but had a nightmare experience with them one night, damn nut that hold the locking mechanisim on the strap worked it's way off....quick hands saved the day and the headstock :eek:. They hit the trashcan the next day, been Dunlop's ever since. They are held on with a C-clip instead of a nut, can't work its way loose. I'm using the counter-sunk ones, as I have the button on the horn on the BACK of the horn, not at the point. Makes the strap lay flat as it goes over your shoulder that way, when it's on the point, the strap will twist and put more weight on one side of the strap.