What's Your Favorite.....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by krash311, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Hey, I was just wondering what some good types of bass strings are. I have been using GHS boomers on my bass, but I want to try something different. Please let me know what types of strings you like to use. Thanx!
  2. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm a DR guy. Marcus Millers, Low Riders and Hi-Beams in that order. If DR's aren't available Rotosound 66's and Ken Smith Rock Masters are alternatives. By the way my favorite strings are really Flatwounds but they don't cut through the band mix very well so I don't use them anymore.
  3. welcome to talkbass, krash311. are you using GHS because p-nut uses them? that's why i tried them out (big 311 fan), and i didn't like them. oh well. i'm a strong believer in ernie balls, i love the sound and they're relatively cheap. but i'll be trying out DR lo-riders soon though, so my loyalties may switch...

btw, fill out your profile. it helps to make suggestions if we know what kind of gear you play through.
  4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hmmm..I've been having trouble finding strings that sound "right" to me. I always seem to come back to Fender strings. Just today I bought Fender Superbass strings, which are nickelplated steel roundwounds. I´ve tried GHS boomers, Blue Steel, and the other day I bought DR Low Riders but I was disappointed with them. They just didn´t sound right, I felt as if there was a lot of *wah* and *umph* missing from them. Besides "hearing" the bass, I want to feel my nuts shake when I play :D In my opinion the DR´s couldn´t do that for me. So I´m back to fender strings.
  5. Everyone use what I use:

D'Addario EXL 165

-45 - 105

Excellent, consistent, not expensive.

6. i've only used 2 different types; DR's and GHS, i have DR's on right now and i think i like those better.
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Thomastik-Infeld JF3*4 Jazz Flats and AB3*4 Acousticores.
    Rotosound "Tru-Bass" RS-88LD/EL tapewounds.

That's all I've ever tried :)
  8. I've always been happy with GHS's. They sound good, and have a great "Feel". The pedullas I have now are great strings, taper B,E,A,D, Stainless Steel. Have a Blue Steel look and sound to them (same manufacturer?) But are a little hard to move around on. EB's are good, second choice if I can't find boomers. D'addario's seem a little fragile to me, I play with a heavy hand.

9. GHS Flatwounds have done it for me. They cut through in my band because i have a single guitarist (who doesn't use musch distortion) and a keyboard player. The thump gives our sound more presence and an extra push.
  10. Right now I have a set of DR Marcus Miller Fat-Beams on with a 105 E. They are probably the best sounding strings I've used on my fretted, they seem to feel the best for slapping, but for some reason playing with my fingers is very hard. I seem to get tripped up on these strings a lot more than I used to. I wish this wasn't the case because they sound so nice, but I'll be going with something else when these go dead. Maybe my opinion will change after some more time with them.

D'Addario Prisms are what I've had the best experience with so far (sound is almost as nice to my ears as the DR's, although different, and I had a set that lasted for longer than I can remember). I'll probably go back to them but I might experiment with something else.

On my fretless 5 I have Rotosound Tapewounds, which are extremely large (.135 - .115 - .100 - .75 - .65) and I love them. I probably won't need to replace them for awhile and if I do I won't hesitate to spend the money on them again.
  11. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    These strings are astonishingly good. I've tried a ton of strings, and I thought I'd try Roto's again. I'm glad I did. Very thumpy for stainless rounds, and plenty bright, too.

Like Dave B., I like flats, but I also like stainless rounds. Roto 66's have everything I need except long life, and they seem to be lasting pretty well this time. I've been using Fast Fret, and maybe it really helps with string life. We'll see.
  12. That's one hting i have noticed, is My new D'Addarios lack just a wee bit of ....umm...balls on the E string...just not as booming as i'd like.
  13. TI Jazz Flats for my fretless, and I haven't bought new strings for my fretted yet, so I'll figure that out later.
  14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't know if these are available in the U.S. - but these are MY strings for years now.

Pyramid Pyrasound stainless steel .035-.095
  15. jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    I still experiment every time I have to change strings to find the right ones. I tried DR Highbeam and Sunbeams, Dean Markley Bluesteel, Ernie Ball, Elixer, GHS and Fender. I prefer nickel plated roundwounds for most applications and so far I'm settled on D'addario Slowounds. XL's are pretty good too.
  16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I've used EB slinkies for years. 45s. Plenty of meat. Decent lifespan. Don't break. What more can I ask? My only recommendation is to pick something and stick with it. Different makers have different tensions even at the same guage. So, that means setting the action and intonation everytime you restring unless you use the same guage and maker. I play about 120 dates a year plus rehearsals. I restring a bass every 3-4 weeks. (Slinkies are also cheap so that makes them better) I don't have the time for a complete setup every time.

My guitar player uses DR exclusively. I tried lowriders at his suggestion, I could NOT get the bass (G&L L2500) set up properly using those strings. I finally slapped another set of slinkies on it. Worked fine. DOn't know, might have just been me. I am kind of glad I didn't like them. If I recall they were fairly pricey.

17. I have never been disappointed with a set of DR strings. I have yet to try the Marcus Miller Fat beams, but I love Sunbeams and Hibeams. It does, however, seem to depend on the instrument as much as personal preference. IMO, different strings sound better on different instruments. I think that D'Addario XL's just sound right on my P-Bass, but all my other basses get DR Sunbeams or Hibeams.

I have also heard good things about TI Jazz flats but I can not tell you from experience because I have not yet tried them.
  18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Slowounds on my 4 string P and J's
    XL's on my 5 string MIA J

Anyone have Slowounds on a 5? Id like to try them,looking for input on how the B feels with Slowounds.
  19. Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    Rounds: DR Lo-Riders
    Flats: D'Addario Chromes
    I prefer medium or heavy gauges.
    I haven't tried yet Slowounds and TI flats but I am going to.