1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats your favourite bass with an ALL TUBE head.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkyFrosty, Feb 19, 2008.

1. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    C'mon fellow tube'eds whats your favourate bass to plug into your all tube head and why......

Mines a CS Fender Jazz, cause I just love it's bottom end and classic midrange through the old tube heads.....

Your turn.

Frosty.

2. Surprisingly, I've never played one. In all my years of playing I've only seen SS or hybrid amps. Eventually I want to play a Mesa 400+.

3. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    It's gotta be a P-Bass.

From my memory - you can't beat the mid-range overdrive on these things through tubes.

4. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Mar 19, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Its a '92 Ric 4003 of course, with the "vintage tone cap" mod in place to give that distinctive bridge pup bite (no reference intended to your avatar). I run it into my SVT-CL/SVT-810E and it can range from the crisp attack of Chris Squire to a soft warm jazz tone.;)

5. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    my mia jazz. but i just bought an old precision last week so i'm just starting to play around with that through my 400+

6. I really love playing my mustang reissue through it. Great high end and well-rounded low end

7. Fender P-bass. In general I think passive pups sound better with tubes.

8. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    +1
    I've been spending a lot of quality time with a new Reeves Custom 225 using a variety of cabs and basses; Bartolini loaded Yamaha RBX 1000, MM Stingray, Ric 4003, MIA Jazz, MIA P, 80's G&L SB1, and IMO, overall (as with all of my tube amps) the passive basses seem to bring the best out of the glass bottles.
    Add AlNiCo drivers to the mix and you get old school vintage ecstacy.
    Of course, I'm pretty "vintage" myself. ;)

9. I got 3 I'm in LOVE with. Sure my P-bass w/ flats sounds great. But so does my EBMM stingray 5!!!!!!! Now I just got a MIA AM. Series JAzz & this sounds superb also!!!!!! So a fave amongst these.................tough choice right now I'd have to say the 'ray!

10. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

An ancient SVT and an ole TBird (76 or earlier please). The pure joy of Deep Cutting Ballsy Growl. There ain't nothin like it.:smug:

Rezdog

11. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Pretty much any classic-style passive bass, but especially a Jazz bass with flats or '51-style P-bass with Tele pickup.

12. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm with Frosty...my Custom Shop '64 Jazz Bass. Turn that tone back to 50% and listen to it thump. Just heavenly.

13. HH Stingray, the mix of new and old works so well!

14. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    My LTD, because it plays so great! Gonna make it a passive bass with nordstrand pickups though....

I'm just in doubt about which pickups...

Either big singles VVT
    or
    Dual coils with VVT and a series/parallel/single switch per pickup...

Ow and an NV would be nice too!

15. sparrow

sparrow

May 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Can you describe the tonal difference between passive and active?

16. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    For me passive basses seem to bring out the best in creamy breakup out of the tube heads, active basses do add a certain bite and attack to the tube heads that sounds very good "in the mix" though.

Frosty.

17. P-Bass and/or StingRay (4/5, Sterling)

Love it.

18. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    P-Bass

19. With my 400+ a more modern sounding, kinda growly monster like my Traben is awesome. If I am using a SVT and want to get a more vintage, rounded sound then nothing can beat a Jazz or maybe a P.

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Can't beat a P-bass through an SVT. I'm biased so I really loved my Spector through an SVT. The tubes really accentuated the maple growl of the Spector. It would really cut through the room.