What's your favourite Flecktones tune?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ras1983, Aug 16, 2005.

1. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Since i started playing bas 14 months ago, i have been getting increasingly interested in jazz music, and music as a whole. I was very lucky in that i discovered the flecktones by accident right before i started playing bass, and i began listening to their recordings. I can honestly say that my personal favourite is Stomping Grounds. Many people quote Sinister Minister (which is my 2nd fave), but to me Stomping Grounds defines what the flecktones are all about - one of the best and tightest bands in music today. i especially love the instrumental 'challenges' that the band members take part in. :D

What's your favourite flecktones tune? Why?
  2. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Me, I dig Stomping Grounds too.

Also among my favourites are: Vix 9, Flying Saucer Dudes, UFO Tofu and Almost 12.

But there's so much great stuff from the Béla Fleck and the Flecktones, they all come as a close 2nd. :smug:
  3. My favorite is "Blu Bop".
  4. "The Message" ... among others.
  5. Lochs of Dread, Far East Medley, Magic Fingers and countless others !! :)
  6. i dig ufo tofu and the sinister minister.
  7. I have only heard (in depth)
    1st record
    Flight of the Cosmic Hippo

Of those, I'd have to say
    Flight of the Cosmic Hippo
  8. For some reason I always get a kick out of listening to "Sleeping Dogs Lie" from their Left Of Cool album. I was so excited when I found that my college's library has a whole bunch of their CDs. :)
  9. reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Snatchin'! I tried to transcribe the song to play it with my band, and... well, let`s just say I died.
  10. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The Sinister Minister... you guys crazy? =)
  11. alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    I'm a big fan of the two "off the top" songs from the Little Worlds tripple cd.
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Too many, although I'll mention 2 that haven't been named yet-

"Hurricane Camille"(Debut album)-
    ...Victor plays the head w/ Bela; nice walking/swinging bass by Vic during the solos.

"Life Without Elvis"(Ufo Tofu)-
    ...Time Signature varies; pretty cool head, too.
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The 1st time I saw the 'Tones live, they only had the one album out, so they played everything they had plus a couple of soon-to-be-released "Hippo" tunes.
    After they ripped through "Blu Bop", I recall thinking, "...damn, a funkier version of the Dregs".
  14. I still dig 'Sunset Road' - and the one that gets me everytime is 'Celtic Medley' - Victor plays some beautiful fretless on that - my other fave to play along to, and I still can't nail that bloody triplet run - is 'Monkey See' - also on 3 Flew. The best studio album is Hippo - IMO - and another classic on that is their version of 'Meshelle' - again Vic's fretless work on that is gorgeous - though, dare I say it, I did notice one bit after his solo when he's back on the bassline where...he plays slightly out of tune...I'm just glad even Vic is human - sometimes!

15. Oh man. There are so many good ones.

The little worlds album in general never ceases to blow me away.
    Big Country
    At Last We Meet Again
    Spunky and Clarissa
    Sojourn of Arjuna
    New South Africa
    New G Whistle

those are probably my favorites.
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    A couple that weren't mentioned:

Flying Saucer Dudes
    Bigfoot (on the Live Art album. the original came out on a Pre-Flecktones Newgrass Revival recording in the 80's)
    UFO TOFU - a very underrated tune.
  17. I'm a huge fan of Poindexter, and pretty much everything previously named.
  18. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Stomping Grounds and Vix 9. They're both catchy tunes, instrumental fireworks aside.
  19. Big Country (great fretless, and he manages to work Continuum in there - very cool!)

Sex In A Pan - my band does that and the only people that cheer in the bar are the other musicians (and they cheer loud), everyone else just stares (do I hear crickets?)

Hoe Down is great.

My favorite is probably Vix 9. Especially the live version. Great tune.

I think their best studio album is Three Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.