Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your favourite FUNK album and why??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 31, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I don't own any funk albums and would like to buy one (eventually more). Please give me recommendations as to what you think is the best FUNK album ever made. It should not only contain great bass playing but also the compositions should be outstanding. It will be interesting to see how many posts choose the same album.

Thanks! :)

2. Incognito - "Last Night in Tokyo" 1997 (Ithink ;) )

Recorded live in Japan (surprise surprise!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

Not only stellar playing from Randy Hope Taylor (Bass) and Richard Bailey (Drums) but ALSO one of the finest live albums I have ever been lucky enough to hear. :) :) :) :)

It doesn't get much better than this IMHO.

3. My definition of funk may be a little different. IF IT IS FUNKY, I CONSIDER IT FUNK!

That said:
    George Duke - "Face The Music"

With honorable mention to:
    The Clinton Administration - "One Nation Under a Re-Groove"
    Herbie Hancock - "Thrust"
    Karl Denson's Tiny Universe - "The Bridge"

Funkiest Album without a Bass:
    Melvin Sparks - "It Is What It Is"

4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I agree that anything by Larry Graham is well worth listening to, Graham Central Station was an incredibly funky band. Or get anything by James Brown, it doesn't matter who is in the rhythm section, they're all very tight. Get some old Parliment or Funkadelics albums, also try most of the stuff by Earth Wind & Fire (Verdine is a monster player).

One of my all-time favorites is a kind of recent album by Tower of Power called Oakland Zone. Just listen to Rocco Prestia and Dave Garibaldi .... amazing :bassist:

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Nothing wrong with Larry Grahm, but I have to go with TOP's Soul Vaccination Live, tighter then a pair of size 4 leather pants on Rossanne Barr!!!!! But there are plenty of great Funk Albums out there.

6. [​IMG]

I give it up to the Chicken Leg. Amazing album.

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    [​IMG] I'd have to go with this one for the sole purpose that I love the band, I listen to it often and people forget about these guys quite a bit. :bassist:

8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    This one (The Meters Anthology) will keep you moving for a while: :)

[​IMG]

9. I never got into ChimChim's...it was their first on Rowdy, and their first after their guitarist and keyboardist quit. I want my Fishbone with the original lineup! :crying:

My choice:
    [​IMG]
    ...but not just for funk...listen to Servitude for unrelenting rock.

10. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thats a really good one also. I love Swin and Lemonmorange (?). Chim Chim's is just less ballady in my opinion but Chim Chim's does have a touch of punk though. :eyebrow:

11. Definitely this one.......Larry Graham rocks! :D

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'll take your Meters collection, and add the Parliament 'Tear The Roof Off collection'.....or any P-Funk/ Funkadelic album.
    As a kid I bought all the early Sly & the Family Stone albums, so they probably the albums that influenced me the most on funk......along with the Philly/ Atlantic/ Stax/ Motown stuff the was on N.Y.C. radio at the time.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Stone Jam - Slave
    Stellar Fungkt - Slave

Mark Adams is a monster on those two!! And for a different kind of funk, The Sun Don't Lie - Marcus Miller.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That is a hot cd!! Rocco is in fine form on this one!! Early Kool & The Gang has some seriously funky stuff on it! " Who's Gonna Take The Weight"!! 'Funky Stuff', Jungle Boogie'!! Anything by Lakeside! Jimmy Castor Bunch!

15. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Good call on the Meters' Anthology, great grooves through and through. Zigaboo is one of my favorite drummers, too.

I'm going to have to recommend Maceo Parker - Life On Planet Groove. Another great live album, and while it is not extremely bass heavy, it does have great playing, and you can't help but start moving to it. His version of "Soul Power" is worth the price of admission alone!

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Future Now" by Pleasure.

17. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Great album!!

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    James Brown is the funkiest dude in the multiverse. He invented funk.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Two albums that really helped me get on the Funk path were
    AWB's "White Album",,,w/ "Pick Up The Pieces", "Got The Love", "Person To Person", "You Got It", "Work(To Do)", etc.
    AWB's Cut The Cake...w/ "Cut The Cake"(contains 'bass solo') ;), "School Boy Crush", "Groovin' The Night Away", "Why", etc

At that time, I guess, there were arguments whether these albums were Funk or even funky; maybe they fall more under the R&B/Soul umbrella. Definietly not as raw as Sly, Graham Central Station, or Herbie's Headhunters band, etc
    Another early semi-Funk classic for me was Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow..."Do You Know What I Mean", "Thelonius", "Constipated Duck", etc

Blow By Blow reminds me of these two Funkers(in name only, that is)-
    Fred Wesley & The Horny Horns-A Toot For Me, A Blow For You
    Fred Wesley & Maceo Parker-Say Blow By Blow Backwards

You may also want to flip through Dave Thompson's Funk during your next visit to Barnes & Noble.

20. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    This isn't exactly an album per se, but, the DVD of George Duke's 1983 Tokyo Japan tour is definately my favorite. For those that have never seen it, I encourage you to check out Louis Johnson on bass. Especially on "Silly Fightin'" and the closing number "Shine On!". Wow! :D

[​IMG]