Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your favourite interval?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Howard K, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Min 2nd: C - Db

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Maj 2nd: C - D

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Min 3rd: C - Eb

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Maj 3rd: C- E

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Perfect 4th: C - F

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  6. Tritone : C - F#

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  7. Perfect 5th: C - G

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  8. Aug 5th: C - G#

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  9. Maj 6th: C - A

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  10. Dom. 7th: C - Bb

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  11. Maj 7th: C - B

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  12. Octave

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    In the spirit of truly pointless polls, I thought this was be a prime candidate...

So c'mon, what's yer favourite interval?

Oh and I'm expecting this'll spark some discussion as my naming of the intervals is probably incomplete somehow?!

:D

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
  3. Same here, and I love the minor 10th (C-Eb in the next octave) as well.

Man, I've probably totally bungled that description of a minor tenth. Please correct me if you want.

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK, I'm now confused, I thought a tri-tone was the interval between the 3rd and 7th of the chord?

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I like the 9th, I guess i should vote for the 2nd. Close second is the major 7th.

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    yeah, sorry i didnt go beyond an octave cause there's only 20 options for each poll ;)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Micro Tonality!

Just intervals!!

Japanese Classical Music!!

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Sorry mods - dont boot me out... I have to say this... bugger off Bruce!!! :D

So will someone explain a tri-tone to me?

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    A tri tone is an interval of a 5b. I think it can be anywhere in a chord.
    Someone will probably have the exact definition for it.

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Certainly Howard :) A tritone is a diminished 5th, or an augmented 4th. Half an octave; 6 semitones. In a dominant 7th chord, 3 and 7 form a tritone. E.g. in C7 - E and Bb. That's a diminished 5th (with the E at the bottom. If the Bb were at the bottom, it'd be an augmented 4th).

Tritone is my favourite too :)

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Tritone means 3 tones. C-D D-E E-F#. 3 whole tones. An awful long time ago it was banned - it was called the devil's interval.

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Aah, I see. For some reason I thought it was just a reference for the 3rd and 7th of a chord?
    Although I must ahve known that because I knew what a tritone replacement was? The mind boggles...

So why is it called a tritone or is that just one of those random music terminology things?

Yep, Henry VIII banned siminished chords altogether didn't he... or so somone told me?

13. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Just like a tricycle has three wheels, a tritone has three tones (or six frets).

For example, starting with G, you go

G# A A# B C C#

In bass terms, thats up one string and one fret.

The only place you find this when working with chords built from a major scale is between a major third and flat seventh (two minor third intervals apart... eg. D to F + F to G#), hence the distinctive sound of the dominant seventh chord (stacking major third + minor third + minor third).

That's a contrast with maj7 chords (major + minor + major thirds) and m7 chords (minor + major + minor thirds).

Wulf

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    There goes wulf, saying the same thing as me, but in more detail :)

And diminished 7th chords are based on tritones. 2 tritones a minor 3rd apart. 1 to b5, and b3 to bb7. So, diminished 7th chords are twice as EVIL! :D

15. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    oh blimey.. tritone.. three tones.. my brain is really working some today... DURRR!

There's two tritones in chords built from a major scale isn't there?
    ...the 3rd to the 7th in the V (dom7), and the root to the 5th in VII (min7b5).

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Howard - yes, but it's kinda the same tritone. E.g. in C - 3 & 7 of G7 are B and F - and 1 & 5 of Bm7b5 are B and F!

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think quarter tone intervals are the only way to go - I think Michael Manring agrees as well!! ;)

18. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yes, of course. I think I'd best stop posting now.

So how many tritone in a harmonic minor scale :eek:

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Oh and I really hate to agree with Bruce :)D), but your naming of intervals could be a little incomplete. All I mean by that is - you should perhaps give both names for the intervals. E.g. Minor 3rd/Augmented 2nd, Augmented 4th/Diminished 5th, Minor 6th/Augmented 5th.