Whats your favourite Papa roach song?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassopotomus_2, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Broken Home

3 vote(s)
  2. Last Resort

4 vote(s)
  3. Dead Cell

2 vote(s)
  4. Legacy

1 vote(s)
  5. Never Enough

0 vote(s)
  6. Between Angels and Insects

10 vote(s)
  1. Hey people , ive serched far and wide but i cannot find a bass tab for the song Papa roach - Legacy

the song is of the special edition version on the Infest album. number 12!

i cant find the tab anywere!!

does anybody have it or know were i can get it??

2. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    "Broken Home", man :D that song rips ... the lyrics are a bit "dramatic" in it, but oh well - Tobin lays down some functional lines in that one. and nah, i can't say i've seen the tab anywhere, but it's probably not very hard to figure out. i assume you've got a 5 -string, so just there with headphones on with the bass cranked up for an hour and you'll get it.
  3. Well the thing is, ive only been playing bass for about 1 month. i cant really figure out what notes are being played by just listning to the song.

but if anyone finds this tab PLEASE tell me.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    are you funkopotimus? Optimus Prime? what´s with the names!

Between angels and insects is a cool song... i don´t like the band that much but i give them credit for that song
  5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    angels and insects rule. well papa roach are cool but on the film clip for A&A the bass player stands ther and throws the geetar to the left but since he has a strap on it goes right around his body and comes back. its sooo cool! i tried it and i smashed the light in my bedroom.hehe
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    That is a cool scene. My question is: Isn't he using an instrument cord? How does one throw the bass around oneself like that with a cord attached to it?
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    well... it´s a music video... so... there are no cords... :)

but i can guess he uses cordless remote system or something
  8. aren't all the lyirc about disfunction or some sort of depression? and why wasn't thrown away on the ballad? it's the heaviest song on there.
  9. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    no offence but pappa roach are major ripoffs. they have ripped off greenday for the only song of theirs that i have heard and they have probably ripped off alot of the other cool bands around today. my advice is listen to a band that actually writes their own music but if you like them i have no problem with that.
  10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    But there is a cord -- you can see it.
  11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    there is a little ity bitty lead that goes from the geetar to a little pack on the back of the strap. that sends signals to a little thing at the amp and then it goes into the amp and out. so yer thats how it happens
  12. Well, according to my Physics teacher, there is no way that he could throw the bass in that direction, mainly because of the weight and distribution of weight in the headstock and neck. Plus, Tobin just stands there as he slings. The head would smack into his right leg as it came round. Therefore, my Physics teacher and I came to the conclusion that the video is doctored.

Now, in the Static-X video for black and white, when Tripp Eisen slings his, he does it body first, under his right arm. This would work, as the the body 'drags' the neck round the guitarist.

Last Resort = Brain Stew by Greenday.
    Between Angels And Insects = Main riff of Spiders by System Of A Down.

Coby Dick sings about depression and being an unhappy person. Yet he makes more money in a week than I will in a year. Basically a fag-end nu-metal ripoff band.
  13. actually.....

I don't think the video is doctored at all of him slinging his bass around....

I have live footage of Blink 182 and Mark Hoppus does the exact same thing, mind you this is taped off of a live performance. So it IS possible....
  14. i have an idea maybe coby sings about depression because that's what he went through as he was growing up. yeah maybe that's it. that's what art from everclear has been doing. remember 'father of mine' and how in the hell does 'between angels and insects sound anything like 'spiders'
  15. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i agree with the opinion that coby uses depression as a hook for angry young attention-seeking black t-shirt wearing teens seeking to reinforce their "image" by listening to suitably "depressing" and "hardcore" music. and why not ? a lot of other bands do it too. KoRn started the whole goddamn thing ... but by bringing that up, i hope i haven't opened up another round of Fieldy bashing ... ;)
    this nu-metal sh*t incorporating "heartfelt" lyrics is really just as shallow and marketable as Britney Spears and N'Sync. i hate Papa Roach. i DESPISE Linkin Park - remove the detuned riffage and you have the Backstreet Boys, more or less. the only decent nu-metal bands out there IMO are first and foremost Tool, Deftones, Mudvayne and Nothingface. doubtless there's a few more, but these four are the ones i feel are actually artists whom are in it for the MUSIC and aren't making it for the market, so to speak.
    more bands should take the Pearl Jam attitude of, "we're making music for ourselves, f*ck what people think. we're happy."

just a few cents i had kicking around :D
  16. OK, there's a section of the 'Spiders' riff that goes like this:

Take away the open D's and you have:

Between Angels and Insects goes like this:
    (I transcribed it to my 4 string, Drop D)

So, you have two riffs with Open D's in them, and the same interval spacing and fret spacing.

Spiders came out in 1998, by a cool band with a credible background. B.A.A.I. was released by a band who used the a simple Greenday riff to get famous.

Papa Roach are so cool:rolleyes:

Riffs? Linkin Park don't riff. They just put up a wall of guitar 'noise', so that the vocals become the main focus:D

And do you know why[/]i those bands you listed are decent?

Tool - Not nu-metal. Art-metal, or prog-metal. Too musical for the mainstream.

Deftones - Invented Nu-metal, but without intending to. This is proven by their experimentation in later albums.

Mudvayne - Ditto Tool.

Nothingface - Hardcore Motherfukkers.

I'd like to throw System Of A Down on there, and Pantera, cos they do it for the beer if nothing else:D
  17. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Panters, what by your definition is nu-metal, then ?
    i'm not challenging you, but what bands would you deem to be nu-metal ? it seems to me that any modern metal that is just a tincy-bit experimental falls into this classification - shed some light on my darkened outlook, buddy ?
  18. Nu-metal is, to me, the following:

Fake aggression, and/or the peddling of 'I was a depressed kid' angle. I don't mind people doing this, as long as it isn't the main focus(I'd prefer someone who was like, 'Yeah, I had a ****ty life, but I've dealt with it and now I'm through' type thing. Not 'I was beaten up cos of my hair, pay me!' type thing.

Additionally, the music side of constant repetitional style, like, all the songs sound the same, or at least similar to a breakthrough hit. Also, ripoffs seem to be a staple factor in nu-metal today(Union Underground anybody? They might as well be called Static Zombie).

That's about it.
  19. Hey!
    #1: Money is not what makes everyone happy. Sure, it makes life a bit easier.. that does NOT mean that it makes you happier. If you had a dysfunctional childhood, that sticks with you. Why not sing about it? Why don't you go sing about your hard life?

#2: Who cares if they copied other bands a bit. Hell, who knows if they knew it when they were in the process of making it. Who cares though? I don't. I enjoy the music and that's what matters. Don't go all bitter because they made something similar to another band and became famous and you're still on your ass at home. You should respect the time they put into their stuff man.

I don't hear how Between Angels and Insects sounds like spiders? I've heard both a number of times and I don't hear it. Sure.. they have a similar way in being played, that's about it. How many bands the same chord progression of 1-3-4 or jazz's 2-5-1-1?? Who gives a ****? It's good music and if you don't like it, don't listen to it and don't bother trying to turn people away from it if they do like it.

Linkin Park's guitarist doesn't even play most of the guitar stuff. It's mostly replayed by the DJ.

That swinging of the bass is done when they play live. It's crazy.

There's my 20 bucks. :)
  20. OK, here are my replies:

To #1: I don't sing about it because my life does not matter in the grand scheme of things. I do not feel the need to tell anyone about my hardships, because I know there will always be others who've had it worse. Coby Dick does not seem to know this, and his so called childhood depression is not that bad. In fact, its a cliche. Split marriage, child becomes vagabond, etc. Get original. Plus, seeing as Papa Roach are so commercial, money should make him happy. Hell, if he's serious about his depression, why use a fake name?

To #2: Ignorance is bliss. For the ignorant. If a person does not know anything about music, they buy BAAI, thinks its good, whatever. However, this work that is giving so much pleasure is quite clearly a rip off to people who know the industry, and so it is simply a tool used to sell records. Papa Roach didn't intend for it to entertain people, they just wanted to get a tune they thought was catchy and use it to sell records. No better than someone like Britney Spears or N'Sync. If you enjoy music solely because of the music, fine, I can't do anything about it. But there are people who actually care about ideals, and rights, and justice, not just whether 'it's an awesome song'.

BTW, it takes considerably less time to rip someone off than to write your own stuff. I appreciate the original band for getting them famous, and not suing.

Finally, those Jazz things are a standard. They are what musicians solo over, and form the basis of a song. Both the ripped-off riffs by Papa Roach are main riffs of other songs, used again as main riffs in Papa Roach songs. It's not like I was saying "Papa Roach ripped off the 4/4 snare hit from (most punk songs in existence)!"

Look, if you want to buy Papa Roach albums, fine. I just don't think you can go around defending them, and comparing them to bands that are ultimately superior to them, not because of musical style, but the way in which they made the music, and the ideals behind the music. For example, I might hate a Fugazi song, but I would think it is an ultimately better song than a Papa Roach song that sounded like 'Walk', simply because one is representative of the band's work, not a rip-off.

Linkin Park - What's your point? I said they had no integrity, and you just proved me right.

Swinging the bass - So what, I was wrong. It's still a trashy gimmick. How does it add to the music? It doesn't. How does it add to the image? So that kids can say "Tobin's a better bassist, he can throw his bass around!"

This part is purely my opinion, but I think that if someone likes a band simply because they put out a 'banging tune', and not because of the integrity of their ideals, beliefs, or the appreciation of their work for how it represents the artist, then they have bad taste. But then, a lot of pop bands wouldn't be famous, including pop bands like P Roach, Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit.