1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's your favourite single piece of gear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassyBill, Apr 26, 2009.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Post just one, please. A bass, cab, pedal, accessory, anything from a strap to a huge amp or a 7 string double neck ;). It should really be something you own, but GAS targets will be okay here as well, just for the heck of it.

I could pick my favourite bass here, or some of the really cool bits and pieces that make playing a pleasure. But as I'm saying there has to be just one, I'm going for my Markbass CMD102P combo. Not cheap, but still good value for me because it feels worth every penny every time that I hear it (or carry it). There's lots of basses I'm happy to play in my collection, but this is the only amp I want right now, although I do use it with an extension cab from time to time.

So, chime in, folks...

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My Kay, that I got for free. Everything else is just gear.

3. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Azola Bug Bass II, amazing instrument.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've had to sell of an awful lot of gear over the last year and a half, and that has really made me take a sharp look at what I especially favor vs. what is "just gear". In the end it is all "just gear" insofar as nothing I own has the sentimental value of that watch that Christopher Walken as a POW kept protected inside him in Pulp Fiction. But I do have a particular fondness for the Hamer Cruise, the REDDI, and the ADK CLA1. I could only let those go if I was totally desperate or if I found something even better as an upgrade. I guess if I had to pick just one, it would be the Hamer. The other two items are expensive, but a replacement would work exactly the same as the ones I have now; whereas vintage Hamers vary in weight, condition, tone, etc., and the 5'ers are hard to find anyway.

5. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    My custom Dolan PH5.

6. My beat up, modded to heck, 100GPB off ebay, name that no-one's ever heard of, P-copy...I haven't played that many Fenders, but I prefer the feel and tone of my "EKS Technology Starfire bass" over all the ones I've tried.

:)

7. ATM, my 98 FNA. Next week, something else, I'm sure. :)

8. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    2330_full.

Sorrry for posting a guitar effect here, but this is definitely the best distortion pedal I've ever owned. No need for another. Makes any guitar sing, at least my strat and my Ibanez Artcore AF95 archtop electric.

To have something bass-related too:

st-b.

9. A set of Bartolini jazz bass pickups I bought new in like 1990. I'm pretty much a one bass at a time kinda guy, and no matter what the main instrument is I eventually gut out the electronics and put these things in, wired straight to the jack. In chronological order: Tokai jazz bass, Ibanez Soundgear, Warmoth parts Jazz(actually the Tokai replaced one part at a time), Ibanez Roadstar II, and now my Warwick.

I've never thought of them in a particularly sentimental way, they just work for me.

10. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    My Birdsong Cortobass #8c-117. The rest is just stuff...

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    My 2003 American Series Jazz, which has noiseless Lindy Fralin pickups and a drop tuner. Several basses have come and gone since I bought it new in 2003, and it's always been number one. Apart from my 2004 Strat and 2007 G&L SB-2, which I also think are special instruments, everything else I own is "just gear" and could be easily replaced.

But the single best piece of gear, in terms of achieving its design objectives, might be the Lace Sensor Hot Gold pickup set in my Strat. How Lace managed to all but eliminate the single coil hum, preserve the essence of Strat tone, and increase the punch and clarity over stock pickups is just beyond me. I've played "boutique" Strats that don't sound as good as mine. (IMO, of course.)

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think it's my 1970's Univox hollow-body, short scale 335-copy bass. It's much prettier than any other bass I own, even my Gretsch Junior Jet and my '63 P.

Univox335copy.

13. my 1996 godin bg4 bass. i currently have a zon sonus fretless 4. a warwick streamer stage 1 nt 4, a fender jazz 4 and a musicman stingray 5 string but my godin is my favorite. l love all of my basses and they are all great in their own way ( that's why i bought 'em in the first place ) but my godin is just, well .... special.

14. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Without question, it's "Baby," a 1939 Mittenwald DB that I inherited a few years ago. I play her every day, despite the fact that she's a left-handed instrument and I'm a righty. She's been a constant in my life for as long as I can remember - Pop bought her in 1947, a few years before I was born.

15. Right now its got to be my Korg PX4B. I love that little box. Cool sounds, shed out on diff rhythms, plug up the ipod and jam, record myself, etc. anywhere from work to the airport, even on a roadtrip on a coach bus.

16. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That's good to hear. I have my Dad's Slingerland drums set up in my spare room and they get played pretty frequently by us both.

I have one of those, too - useful little gizmo, indeed.

17. Etingi

Etingi

Nov 3, 2007
    67 Guild Starfire
    75 B-15N
    They sound alright. :)

P3120392-1.

I love the Pyramid Golds too - they're my perfect match for the Starfire.

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Man! I have some really nice stuff, but there's only one thing that I absolutely need my CountryMan type 85 DI box. I can play (and love) a bunch of different basses, and amps, but I think the DI is absolutely indispensable.

19. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    my fingers