Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your favourite Yes song?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Aug 13, 2004.

1. How many of you listen to Yes? I've been listening for about two years (my ears are so sore... so sore! :D) and I was wondering what a) other people's thoughts are on Yes and b) what your favourite song is.

Mine are Perpetual Change, Time and a Word, Close to the Edge (of course :D) Roundabout, uh... pretty much most of the stuff on Yessongs and the Keys to Ascencion disc I.

Have any of you done a Yes song as a cover?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

That's a very difficult question to answer. It's like saying ..."I'll have only one Lays Potato Chip!" You can pick a favorite album, but even that's difficult.

3. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    But, if I had to narrow it down to one, I'd go with "Yours is No Disgrace." Mainly for the Howe guitar part.

I saw Yes a couple of years ago at the Symphony Hall in Birmingham, England. They opened with this. It was stunning to see it live and in that setting. The whole show was fantastic, but the opener was my highlight.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Seen All Good People

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo. i have a hard time picking a favorite album - toss up between tales and drama, probably.

sheesh. i like a lot of yes songs a lot.

a venture
    starship troopers
    soon(ending of gates of delirium)
    tempus fugit (i really enjoyed playing this out live too, fun song)
    revealing science of god

i also like minddrive and the other original tunes on the keys to ascenscion cds.

wow, i'm going to go listen to some yes now :).

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw the live version of "And You & I" on the TV Show "Old Grey Whistle Test" in 1973 and that was the first time I'd heard Yes and it really amazed me - I have nostalgia for this now, as a period when I was hearing music that seemed different, unusual and that nobody else knew about!

Nowadays everybody's heard of Yes and it sounds quite tame to me!! ;)

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Heart of the Sunrise

Starship Troopers

8. I'm with JT on this everything on Tales and Fragile.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The "IGet Up, I Get Down" movement of "Close to the Edge.

Bye the bye, I've got a lucrative project offer where the brains of the thing wants to do a lot of Yes stuff. He can cop all the Wakeman stuff faithfully on his multitude of keyboards.

Squire is just one of those bassists who foxes me, technique-wise. I guess I'll have to look into the VHS "Play Bass Like Chris Squire"...........(yeeyahuh, "like Chris Squire"....right :rolleyes: )

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I sat here & thought about it, & thought about it,, & then someone reminded me of, "Heart of the Sunrise"

SHARP!

DISTANCE!!!

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yeah, Heart of the Sunrise is up there for me. Close To The Edge is my #1 though.
    He can play scales really really fast huh? :bag:

12. Roundabout, It was the first yes song I ever heard.

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

+1, I also like the bassline.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Same here; still recall buying that album in 73 or so...'cause the cover looked cool.
    When I heard the 1st tune("Roundabout"), I thought, "...wow, what the heck is this?!"

FWIW, I loaded "Siberian Khatru" onto my mp3 player(relatively 'short' piece)...it rocks.

Bruford's "5 Percent For Nothing" is a little out there. ;)

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I can't believe noone has said, The Fish, yet...

16. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Big fan of Tempus Fugit.

17. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    The last 4 minutes of Starship Trooper blows my mind with it's mellowy goodness.

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

These are my favorites too. It's impossible for me to name a single favorite.

19. I have a soft spot in my innards for Awaken from Going For The One, hearing all seventeen minutes of it for the first time on my local rock radio station's new music program on a Sunday night, drifting off to sleep. When they whipped that one out a few years ago during the Union tour, I just about melted.

Other than that, I'll say the entire Yes Album, Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, Heart of the Sunrise, Siberian Khatru, The Gates of Delirium, and (of course) Tempus Fugit.

Somebody also mentioned Hold Out Your Hand? The whole side one of that album is classic.

20. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Wow - that's a tough question....

Perpetual Change
    Circus Of Heaven (from the much maligned Tormato)
    To Be Over
    Dear Father
    Yours Is No Disgrace
    Parallels
    The Ancient: Giants Under The Sun ( I love the acoustic peice in the middle)
    Heart Of The Sunrise

Sheesh... There's so many more.