What's your first impression of someone playing a P-bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Guss, Oct 26, 2002.

1. I've got a squier p-bass that I play on. It's my only one. I've been playing for two years, and think i've outgrown it. What's the first though that enters your head when you see someone playing this bass?

(I wasn't sure wether to put this in "Off topic" or "Basses". sorry)
  2. Depends on how bad you suck.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    My first thought with any live music is anticipation, "will it groove", "will it be tight", "wonder if that babe can sing too" :) etc.

Once the first impression is there and the first few bars are played I may start looking for details, both visual and aural. I don't care much what kind of instruments are played.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I only care about what comes out of the amp.
  5. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    ive played a squier protone p/j for the past 5 years or so. people tend to laugh and ridicule me, and my bass, when i pull it out of the case. ive not had one person make fun of me, or my bass, after im done playing, on the contrary, the same people who were insulting me before they heard me play are the same ones who compliment me after. so what im saying is, this has taught me not to pre-judge someone based on their equipment, but rather wait til ive had a chance to evaluate their actual playing. i wouldnt worry too much about the fact that you play a squier. worry about your playing, and people wont notice what youre playing after awhile.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    working stiff
  7. Pretty handsome guy.

I just finished mine.:D

Rock on
  8. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Like rickbass I let my ears judge. I've heard people playing all sorts of inexpensive basses with amazing chops.
  9. I played a Squier Affinity (bottom-of-the-line) P-Bass at a few gigs. I didn't get any bottles or tables thrown at me.
  10. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Like smoke? And flames?

That's what comes out of mine... :(
  11. " rookie.. "

sorry.. but that's the first i think when i see someone with a P-bass.. i think it's because most beginners start out with a p-bass clone..
  12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Uhhhhh, "That's a Squier P-Bass."

Hey 'doX, how long before I'm not a rookie anymore? I've been playing since 1995 and still use my MIM P-Bass very regularly. ;)
  13. Some one playing a P bass.
  14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    At least its not a Rogue.
    Like X said, Ive played Squiers at gigs, and no one has said(or threw)anything at me.
  15. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Same question! I've been playing since '52. My instrument of choice is a P bass copy.

Oh well, nothing wrong with being a rookie. :)

16. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Depends on the color, of course.
  17. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Since this question is in regards to someone playing bass, let's put this in Bassists.
  18. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    This topic IMO is'nt really about bassists, to me it's more of a miscelanious type thread. If the mod's there disagree then just kick it on back over this way.
  19. i see p basses as generic basses for generic bassists unless the generic bass is pumping out the funk.
  20. I think it sets the level I expect from the player. So you should be able to impress someone more if they expect you to be a simple root note player or the like

Just the same, when I see I player with a high-end bass, I expect a higher quality of bass. For instance, I was a bit let down all in all when I saw Trik Turner's bassist playing an FMT V.

Be impressed by the bass, not the player is worse than be impressed by the player, not the bass.