What's your "Gigmobile?"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Mar 9, 2004.

1. I don't like driving big things, nor do I like little vehicles either. Years ago I used my convertible 88 Mustang as my rock ride. I would have to drop the top to put in any cabinet I was using (a Marshall 4x12 for guitar or a Sonic 15+2x10 for bass). I could bring one person with me.

My last 2 cars have been Subaru Outback Wagons. These cars rule the Universe! You can stand a 4x12 up in the back. The 60/40 seating lets another person sit in the back even if you have stuff that's long. Loads of cargo space, leg room, head room. It's the best.

What are other people doing?
  2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Chevy 2000 full size pick up
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Audi A6 Quattro 2.8
  4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager. My backup is a 2001 Kia Sportage.:D
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    2002 Mitsu Galant
  7. :oops: well i drive the ol' shaggin wagon...

Hehe, I'm joking, I don't drive, I get my permit in 1 month though :)
    watch out!!!
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    2000 Volkswagen Golf!

I can fit my massive head, my 4x10, two basses in their hardshells, our PA and speakers, my guitarists extra crap, and all of my bags, clothes, and other miscellany that go with us to gigs. And a passenger in the front seat.

Hatchbacks OwNz0r.
  9. bos

Jan 21, 2004
    When I just need to haul my bass/guitar gear I just load it all into my trusty '87 Subaru GL Wagon but If we need to haul the chopped Hammond A100 (think b3 w/o the legs) and leslie I often opt for the ford Aerostar Extended length minivan... its amazing what you can cram into that thing! - entire hammond + my bass rig + guitar rig and even some of the drum stuff!

-- Paul
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    After test driving a Mini Cooper S, I want one really really bad. As soon as I'm out of school (this winter), I'll probably start looking for a used one.

If the size is too much of an issue, though, a Subaru WRX wagon would be my car of choice. I've never driven a Subaru I didn't like, and a WRX, even in wagon form, will whoop up on most other cars on the road.
  11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Subaru Legacy Wagon

I can fit whatever rig in there, doesn't use up alot of gas, and is all-wheel drive.
  12. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    ME 2!

I get my 4-space SKB and 4x10 cab in the back hatch with the hatch cover in place without putting down the backseats. Bass goes across the backseat through the driver's side door and tucked between the rear bench and the bucket seats. Works great and you wouldn't even know that there was several thousands of $$$ of gear in the car

Here's a shot of my rocket:
  13. I use my 85 Toyota Xtra Cab Pickup. I've been able to carry my 4x10, my guitarist's 4x10, and a fair amount of my drummer's set in there no prob. The only downside is I don't have a topper for the bed, and it rains a LOT where I live, so I normally end up having to throw all my gear in either my drummer's truck, or my guitarist's and ride with them to gigs.
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My gear fits in the 528i.
  15. When I got my current Outback Wagon, I just kept looking longingly at the row of WRX wagons. Functional hood scoops are cool! :D

I would definately kill myself in a WRX though, those cars are Telephone Pole Wraparoundingly Delicious!

PS. Bad gig car- 1998 Trans Am. But it does go fast.
  16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A small Ryder when we're on the road -

Otherwise, my Chrysler PT which has 32 configurations for the back seats/spaces -

17. 68 VW deluxe bus... perfect for surfboards, gear, kids, sand, dogs, plywood, you name it . It's a sweet safari camping mobile too.
  18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I'm with DirtDog & SuperDuck:

GTI baby!!
  19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Damn that Siff guy, he beat me to it! But I got interior shots!! :D

...the rear seats fold up against the side, the flat load surface from the back to the front is 72" long by 42" wide, and the tailgate is level with the floor. Just lift it on the tailgate, and slide it in.

My whole rig (Eden D-410XST, D-210MBX, racked Demeter HBP-1 & Eden WT-1000, bag with all the assorted necessary cables & gizmos) fits behind the seats and UNDER the back of the seat, bass rides on the big space between the front and back seats lying flat on the floor. It also gets great gas mileage, and the stereo of doom, drives like a dream, and has more headroom than any vehicle I've ever driven (I'm 6'2", it matters to me! :))