Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats your idea of a "Wide" 5 string neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, Dec 13, 2004.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    its all in the title, i need some ideas for a 4 string-just- became- a- 5 -string project

2. Something like an MTD Kingston, Lakland 55-94, Fender Roscoe Beck 5, or a Warwick Streamer Stage I..., etc... 19mm string spacing, assymetrical neck profile (sometimes).

3. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    A 2.25" fivoid would roughly match my 4 string preference of 1.75".

4. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    As someone who grew up on a 4-string and later switching over to a 5-string, I need wider spacing on the 5's and I do prefer an asymmetrical neck. 18-19 mm string spacing works great for me and I am not comfortable at all with 17mm. In case you don't know, 19mm spacing is standard for the 4-string basses so you may or may not have a hard time adjusting to narrower spacing.

The neck on my F Bass BN 5 is my favorite with my Roscoe LG 3005 being very nice too but in a different way.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The nut on my Squier Precision Special 5 is just over 2 in. That's a pretty wide neck for a 5....it's the same as my Ibanez SR406 6 string.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nut width of 1-7/8" (minimum)

String spacing at the bridge of 3/4" (19mm)

7. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    2nd that! When I specc'd out my Stambaugh, I settled on 2 1/8" at the nut, 3" at the 24th fret, and 19mm spacing at the bridge.

.... Its PERFECT!!!

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I second-1 7/8- 19mm.
    Also warwick 20mm. wide neck is great too.

9. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i was thinkin 2 1/8th at the nut also, 19mm spacing.

i figured i have a really nice maple birdseye fingerboard, and a couple extra strips of purpleheart, might as well make it a 5 string.

now for pick ups....there goes my lindy frailin P pup : /

must find suitible replacment idea!

10. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    Warwick Broadneck option (19mm).
    you can get all of their bolt ons with this option or if you got the dough you can get yourself a nice Streamer Stage I which is a neck through with a neck that has these specs.

11. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    air, im done buying basses for a while, i have 3 im building at the moment, 4 string fretless, 6 string jazz, and a 5 string fretted.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

2-1/8" at the nut sounds very cool. I'd love to try one!

I own a Warwick Streamer Stage I. I usually prefer bolt-ons, but this has good punch for a neck-thru. I definitely prefer 20mm spacing to 17mm. Heck, I have to say that I like 20mm as much as 19mm (not that there's a big diff).

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Actually I don't like wide spacing - makes the reach too far on a 6. I got used to 17-17,5 mm, I can even slap on it. Whatever works for you.