1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

whats your idea of a "Wide" 5 string neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, Dec 13, 2004.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    its all in the title, i need some ideas for a 4 string-just- became- a- 5 -string project

2. Something like an MTD Kingston, Lakland 55-94, Fender Roscoe Beck 5, or a Warwick Streamer Stage I..., etc... 19mm string spacing, assymetrical neck profile (sometimes).

3. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    A 2.25" fivoid would roughly match my 4 string preference of 1.75".

4. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    As someone who grew up on a 4-string and later switching over to a 5-string, I need wider spacing on the 5's and I do prefer an asymmetrical neck. 18-19 mm string spacing works great for me and I am not comfortable at all with 17mm. In case you don't know, 19mm spacing is standard for the 4-string basses so you may or may not have a hard time adjusting to narrower spacing.

The neck on my F Bass BN 5 is my favorite with my Roscoe LG 3005 being very nice too but in a different way.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The nut on my Squier Precision Special 5 is just over 2 in. That's a pretty wide neck for a 5....it's the same as my Ibanez SR406 6 string.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nut width of 1-7/8" (minimum)

String spacing at the bridge of 3/4" (19mm)

7. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    2nd that! When I specc'd out my Stambaugh, I settled on 2 1/8" at the nut, 3" at the 24th fret, and 19mm spacing at the bridge.

.... Its PERFECT!!!

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I second-1 7/8- 19mm.
    Also warwick 20mm. wide neck is great too.

9. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i was thinkin 2 1/8th at the nut also, 19mm spacing.

i figured i have a really nice maple birdseye fingerboard, and a couple extra strips of purpleheart, might as well make it a 5 string.

now for pick ups....there goes my lindy frailin P pup : /

must find suitible replacment idea!

10. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    Warwick Broadneck option (19mm).
    you can get all of their bolt ons with this option or if you got the dough you can get yourself a nice Streamer Stage I which is a neck through with a neck that has these specs.

11. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    air, im done buying basses for a while, i have 3 im building at the moment, 4 string fretless, 6 string jazz, and a 5 string fretted.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

2-1/8" at the nut sounds very cool. I'd love to try one!

I own a Warwick Streamer Stage I. I usually prefer bolt-ons, but this has good punch for a neck-thru. I definitely prefer 20mm spacing to 17mm. Heck, I have to say that I like 20mm as much as 19mm (not that there's a big diff).

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Actually I don't like wide spacing - makes the reach too far on a 6. I got used to 17-17,5 mm, I can even slap on it. Whatever works for you.