Whats Your Impression Of Dean Bass Guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funk$tar, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    I have never purchased one and so far have only seen good reviews! Thinking about purchasing an active Dean bass but not sure if the brand is wonderful yet, im not really convinced!:help:

2. I had a pretty cheap fretless Edge years ago- it compared very well w/a custom Stambaugh and SMOKED a Warwick(both were also fretless, all were 4's). I've only played the one, but swore I'd snag another someday. :)

Edit: Mine had the stock(active)pre; it wasn't too bad- the bass itself- again- was very nice

3. For what it's worth I own basses worth 3-5k and I also have a Dean Edge 5 fretless I've had for about 15yrs and its a great bass. Good fit and fin. Nice see thru red tint. Good neck, fairly flat neck and a good player, and it sounds pretty darn good. Passive and seymore D. PUs. I've sold other more expensive basses while I kept this one. Just sayin!

4. DannyBlueOrigin

DannyBlueOrigin

Jun 19, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Endorsing Artist: Dean Guitars
    Well, over the years I've worked with Dean, they do some LOVELY basses, I'm still rocking my Demonator after god knows how many years, & it stands up well with my Gibson (I play heavy rock, so, yeah :L) different, but still good. They make some top notch instruments! The only negative side is that the Dean guys over in the UK can be a pain to work with!

5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I'm a bass player, I don't do impressions.:bag:

However, I do own a cheap Dean Stylist and must admit while its probably on Dean's low end it plays great and has held up well over the years. I did replace the pickups w/ TV Jones ( kind of a $5 shine on a $2 pair of shoes).

6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Never tried one but if there good enough for Jeff Berlin they must be decent.

7. SuperTbass

SuperTbass

Aug 29, 2010
    Ohio
    Every Dean I've ever picked up was a pleasure to play. The only thing that's kept me from pulling the trigger is the aesthetic aspect, but if you like the style, jump on it!

8. Hard to beat for the money.

9. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I have not played one but the Hillsboro (?) model seems really nice and all the video post of it seem to sound good as well.

10. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    They get a bad rap but based on my experience and those of the posters above me I'd say they are not the garbage people say they are. Maybe in the 90s when everything cheap was pretty bad, but look how folks have changed their mind on Squier? Dean might be too small and obscure to get such a swing in public image.

I had an inexpensive ($200-ish) Edge in the 90s and it was at least as good as anything else. Neck was straight, body and bridge were better than a Squier from back then, it only seemed a little generic sounding because of the generic double soapbars and passive setup.

These days it is the Hillsboros that have my interest. I played the $200 Hillsboro 09, the plain one with a single P pickp, and I was upset. Why? Because for $200 it was put together better than the $280 Squier Vintage Modified I had recently bought. The Squier had the nice Duncan Designed pickup, but pickups are often changed to taste anyhow. The bridge was better on the Dean, the tuners comparable, and the finish especially on the neck was better, all for $80 less. It didn't have the classic look of a P bass, but it sounded like one.

11. I remember a few years ago there was a fretless 5-string Dean in a music store just around the corner from where I lived.

I used to play that bass in the music store whenever I visited there. I don't play 5-strings or fretless basses, but there was something about that bass that just made it feel solid. I really liked the feel of it. It was light, with a translucent black finish and ebony unlined fretboard. It was a very nice bass, but the price this small music store was asking was way too high.

One thing I really liked about the bass was it's flat and wide neck. It was different than the other 5-strings I've played.

12. I've only owned my Dean EAB5 for a couple of months--no disappointed thus far. As already said, for the price-quality ratio it's a sure thing. Not surprisingly, every time I go window-shopping, Deans seem to be the one that always get me.

13. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    +1 on what you get for the money

14. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Entry level deans are better than any First Act type guitars. High end Deans are really nice. I guess my problem with Dean is their middle range basses. Nothing really grabs me. Electronics seem cheap. But if you can find a Dean Pro Edge made in Czech. Those are really a steal for the money. IMHO.

15. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    my kid picked up an active Dean for $40.00 at a garage sale. the wiring was intermittent, but this thing is a keeper!:hyper:

16. I've owned a whole bunch over the years- solid Korean-made bass Guitars.
    Casually looking around for a cheap Demonator now...

17. THRAK2

THRAK2 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2013
    NYC
    I play mostly higher end basses but I have a Dean 12-string bass that I like a lot. Sounds great and is tough as nails.

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Whats Your Impression Of Dean Bass Guitars?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would say medium quality and design.

This was my favorite Dean bass ...

Picture%20301.jpg

19. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Am I missing something??? My guitarist has a Gold flake Dean with a single passive soapbar and it sucks. After a good setup it played alright but that pickup was the worst sounding pup ever. I always played it unplugged because its just garbage and my guitarist won't replace the pup cuz he doesn't like spending money on anything other than amp heads and pre amps.

So, please tell me if I'm missing something. I have a Squier and it will stomp out that Dean any day of the week.

20. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    I had a Dean EABC5 Acoustic/Electric bass.

Unplugged it was pretty good, one of the louder ABGs I've played. It also was set up VERY well out of the box.

Plugged in it was terrible - it was a passive piezo bass, and it didn't really work well.

I've played some other Deans. Some hit, some miss. I will say I have always liked their designs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021