Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your job and do you enjoy it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Yeah I like my job.

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Nope, my job sucks.

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I'm a carrot farmer, it's a living...

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I have a terrible, terrible job which I hate, today I was pretty close to walking out... But I need the money to go to the Academy of Contemporary Music this September. So I didn't. :( But I realised that I'm spending nine hours a day doing something that I hate, that has no meaning and that really isn't important to anyone.

I work in a small engineering firm and just operate the machines and linish things and cut things up on a big saw and things like that. The only plus points for the job are that it's only about 5 minutes from my house by bike and I get paid £5 an hour (yes I know it's a tiny amount, but it's the best there is around here).

So yeah, who enjoys their job? Who doesn't?

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    we are in-house models for vidal sassoon's creative academy here in london.

it pays well, and we get free haircuts, but it's pretty boring :(

3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    What does that entail BA?

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Its ok, I guess. Not much money but I determine my own hours. Made more with my own business before the dot com bubbleburst, but things were a lot more hectic and I had no time for music, at all. And I'll be recieving a tax refund, for the first time in years!

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Intellectual property attorney. Thumbs up.

6. I am dishwasher. As many may think I dislike the job, they are very wrong. I enjoy my job working in a restaraunt. The hours are very flexible, free food, reduce priced food, cool people, and attractive female co-workers(nearly 75% of them).

So, those are some important factors.

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I work in the IT industry...

My main responsibilites include answering phones and troubleshooting problems through them and going out on location and fixing computers/phones/faxes.

My company is migrating from Novell network to Microsoft and I am in charge of the team which oversees all the servers. That part is very cool but the customer support part is not.

I´ve been doing customer support for way too long, 6-7 years now.

I have been given odd assignments doing technical stuff at work, that includes working with the IP telephony system, Cisco switches and routers, Novell and Microsoft servers etc. But not nearly enough, I want to do that stuff full time!

Dislike: Customer tech support, pay not all that great
    Like: Tech stuff.

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I am in intermodal transportation. I am an equipment control coordinator for a large stevedoring company. I actually preferred working in vessel operations as a vessel superintendent. (with the exception of the whacky flex time schedule that is necessary to work ships) Equipment control has it's up's and down's - it can be boring as can be for days at a time and it can be very fast paced and super high stress at other times. At least it's a regular mon-fri job, though. Equipment seems to be kind of a niche position in this industry and I've been doing it awhile and know my stuff - for some reason a have a good reputation for what I do here. Over all, I like what I do.

9. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    Well...there are really 3 different aspects of the job.

1- In-house activities. This could include being a model for an instructional video, a demonstration model for a class, doing photo shoots for new product lines and magazine ads, and in-house shows (such as the huge 50th anniversary show in february). The money varies from £50 to £200 for a video.

2- Seminars. Since Vidal Sassoon is one of the most well known and respected hairdressing companies/school in the world, they are invited to give seminars at other, crapper hairdressing academies. They need models to go with them. We get free travel and about £100 for these jobs.

3- Catwalk shows. This is our favourite kind of job, but we rarely get to do them because we are not professional models, and Vidal Sassoon prefer to use agency catwalk models for shows. The kind of catwalk work we usually get is for example in a hair show, where we showcase our hair :D
    Catwalk work usually pays about £100.

All this sounds a bit silly, and it is really, but it's fun. And it pays really well for work that we only do after school and on weekends :)

10. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I guess I have a love hate relationship with my job.

I work as a IT project manager at a large wall street investment bank. I like the new project work, system design, business analysis, & the fact that we are doing stuff that no one else on the street is doing. But I hate the ongoing support work...My IT brothers know what I mean.

I dont live to work though....I work to live. Playing bass in my band is what really does it for me & my job makes that all possible by providing me with the funds to buy basses, amps, record, take lessons, pay rent on my rehersal space, buy my broke a$$ guitar player his strings, etc....

11. Im a 3rd generation carpenter. Long hours and tough physically..kills the social life. But the pay is good, gets me outside alot and the people for the most part are quite a joy to work with.
    I might want to try something else in the future...but i dont really see any point in leaving a job i have a good salary and high ranking as a foreman for now. :hyper:

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    LOVE my job. I work in a small, indepently-owned music store. I get plenty of time to sit on TB, while getting paid, and get to practice as much as I want while on the clock. I also get paid my hourly while I'm giving lessons, where my students also pay me. Basically, I set around doing nothing, and get paid. I'll have to enjoy it while it lasts, though, because I'm going to start at a bank as a teller in the next few weeks. :(

13. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Why are you changing jobs? I would love to have your job :( The music shop here is kinda crappy and all the guys are brothers and whatnot... So not much chance of getting work there. :crying:

14. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I sell cars (Mercedes). Hours aren't too bad. Nice office. Great money. Cool people to work with (picture 30 guys in shirt & tie in a frat house and you'll get the idea.)
    On the downside: 100% commission. I don't sell, I don't get paid. That creates plenty of stress on a bad month, but I'm pretty good at it so that's rare.

And I get to roll a Benzo on the weekends!! :hyper:

Peace,
    Fo'

15. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I am a carpenter/framer and have been for 10 years straight now. It is fun at times, and really sucks at other times. I can't beat the money, so I won't be looking for another job.
    The worst part about it, is being held up because of the weather. It is snowing today, and I am at the roof stage of the house. I am my own boss, so my hours are flexible to a certain extent.

16. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm a network administrator. I'm also an artist (fine and commercial) and I just got an advance on a novel I'm writing.

Plus the occassional gig, but music is more my hobby now than my job.

I love three out of the four jobs. The network admin thing pays well, but it's just too stressful and I'm feeling burnt out. If the novel flies, so do I. :)

17. i sell plastics.... vacuum bags, sealers, etc... whoo hooo... the overly exciting world of plastics...

oh and then there's the side job.... :cool:

bills paid, food on the plate, and some serious GAS issues....

18. We still work in that stuff...
    Only time we actually call it a day is when there is a thunderstorm and lightning is flashing around.

It makes for some real misearble days sometimes.

19. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I work at Musician's Friend. The work is hard, but the pay is low so it kinda balances out.

I work here for the discount, no question about it.

20. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I DO know what you mean, & that's EXACTLY how I feel about it.