1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's your main?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whiplash71, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Whiplash71

Whiplash71

Oct 30, 2016
    Ok...all your basses have to go, you only get to keep one, which is it and why? Yes, I know that's a horrible thought as each bass has its own character that draws you too it, but I am curious as to what draws one to a particular bass over the others.

I bought my American Standard Jazz as a back up to my RIC about 2004 or so. For the first year it didn't get much play time, it was just 'there'. It was almost forgotten about at times.

After that first year I decided to use it for its first gig and before I knew it, it became my primary bass. I'll go thru phases with the other ones, but the Jazz always comes back to to my hands. It makes the trip to every gig, without fail, even if it doesn't get any stage time for a particular night.

It is reliable, I think it is beautiful to look at, I love the tone and it is simply the one that feels the best when I am playing it. It's starting to show the wear and tear of constant playing over the years, but its still the one.

It has no particular feature that makes it stand out over the others and My other Jazz bass doesn't have the same allure. There is just something about this one just falls into place for me.

What is the main horse in your stable? Any particular reason or is it 'just because'?

drummer5359 likes this.
  2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    A 1985 Ibanez Roadstar II. I bought it new, and for many years, it was my only bass. It has been a trusted companion now for over three decades. Everything else can go.

3. kev451

kev451 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    Hmmm it would have to be my Gibson Thunderbird, I also own 2 Euro Spectors and 1 American NS2 which love but my Tbird has and always will be the one.

tattooSAM likes this.
  4. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    This one:
    IMG_0551.JPG
    Sounds great, easy to play and has a classic sound.

5. basslicks

basslicks

Dec 14, 2015
    Kentucky
    MIA P

bobba66 likes this.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    HaHa... almost don't want to admit this, but started a long post the other night regarding the same exact thing.

I own lots of basses, and love lots of my basses, but over the past 6 months or so I'm finding my my most comfortable bass to be my....

Wow. Can't say it.

Anytime I feel I have a challenging gig or audition, that's the bass I feel safest with, and I'm dumbfounded as to why. It's a MIM bass too. Antigua. Yeah, I still love my Ric just as much as 6 months back, but this thing keeps working it's way into my go-to, most comfortable bass.

7. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    These two.

Attached Files:

• 039.JPG
      039.JPG
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
    lowendrachel, TalHaz and JRA like this.
  8. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    4 String: '95 G&L ASAT

5 String: Sire V7-5

generalduncan likes this.
  9. My main is my 2011 60th Anniversary P, which is the best bass I own. Second is line is a modified MIM P (with active EMG preamp).

drummer5359 likes this.
  10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Fender Highway 1 Precision with MIA P neck. It'll be the bass I'm buried with.

11. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    If such a drastic decision were required, here's the plan:

1) Sell basses here to get a late 80's Steinberger, TransTrem preferred(had one, had to sell it)
    2) Play the Stein and Fame/Hondo at gigs for a month
    3) Come home after work one Friday, drink more than a few adult beverages
    4) Get a silver dollar out of the drawer, go outside, flip the coin
    5) Heads = keep the Steinberger, Tails = keep the 80's Fame/Hondo with factory Kahler
    6) Possibly flip the coin until Tails comes up....

The Fame/Hondo came here as a cheapo, repair case. Put 5 slightly longer stainless steel screws through the neck plate(added one) to re-attach the neck, put on light gauge strings used here, did a couple of tweaks suggested by Eric Haven's forum Bass Tremolo Fanatics , and it plays perfectly. Thrash the trem, up or down, comes back in tune. It came here 5 years ago.... with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders(P-style) and full copper foil shielding(needed a wire re-soldered to fix).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Whiplash71 likes this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

just one? OK: it would have to be my custom built pj: swamp ash, currently with an ebonol fretless fb (unlined, of course), EMG actives, badass bridge, and right now has DR coated strings. i don't play it much (real heavy), but it's so versatile that i'd most likely "save it first in a house fire" situation.

that's probably the truth: but i could 'live with myself' if i had any of my basses as "just one" --- except the fretted instrument --- don't need it. just keep it 'in case'.

Dug2 likes this.
  13. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Fender P Junior PJr.JPG

NoiseNinja and Johnny Crab like this.
  14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I sometimes need or want a five, so I guess it would be my G&L M-2500. But I prefer my four string passive J's, a G&L JB and MIA Fender.

15. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    MIA P...it's never "wrong"

Pet Sounds, bobba66 and Ace Of Bass like this.
  16. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    Wow. That is a lot of love for P's... the GAS is strong...

steamthief likes this.
  17. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

My USA Geddy Lee Jazz.

SiP3m7E.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

1974 Gibson Ripper which I've owned since (wait for it!) April 1974. ;)

IMG_1631.JPG

19. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Any excuse to show mine off.

A 1989 G&L L-2000, made in Fullerton.
    20151115_124632.

This thing is a beast. Those magnetic field design humbucker pickups do anything and everything I need them to. It beat out a Jazz Bass and a Precision Bass. The neck feels great in my hands and it sounds great live and through my home studio rig. The preamp is absolutely killer, with added treble if I want it. Hands-down the best and most versatile bass I've ever owned.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Freekmagnet, Helix, gsgbass and 2 others like this.
  20. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    My Fodera... I'm still paying for it... (just kidding)

Seriously, my Fodera can accurately give me P-Bass (vintage and modern), Jazz (vintage and modern), Modern (soapbar), and almost anything in between.

squidtastic and TalHaz like this.