What's your (music) Story?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JerseyFunk, Mar 17, 2004.

1. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    For me it started when I was about 8 (1978). My Dad had a 1963 Fender Jaguar guitar which I started taking lessons on. This continued for about maybe a few months but I couldn't stick with it. My next dive into music was in school. Fourth grade was when band insturments were introduced. So I took up sax-a-ma-phone. I played alto from 4-6 grade while also taking Piano lessons. 7-8th grade I played tenor and baritone sax but that got old and my parents bought me a Korg Poly-61 keyboard since that was the instrument I had the most interest in. That's when I started playing in a band with a couple of guys. Back then the cool keyboard songs were Jump and I'll Wait by Van Halen and Seperate Ways by Journey to name a few. Our Bass player rarely showed up for practice so I started filling in on the songs that I wasn't playing keys in. That's when I found out I was a Bass player. Back then Geddy was my Idol. He was playing keys and bass and I did my best to emulate him. Been playing Bass ever since.
    What's your story?

2. took piano for a year or two in elementary school, hated practicing every day. finished grade one and quit.

started playing guitar in gr. 8, loved it.

took gr. 9 music, started on french horn.

gr. 10, wanted to be in jazz band, so i picked up the trumpet (same fingerings as fr. horn) and joined percussion ensemble

gr. 11, a friend needed a bass player for a band, and knew that my sister owned a bass and i played guitar, so he asked me.

same time, guy who played bass in all the school groups stopped playing, music teacher recruited me and taught me the basics of playing jazz.

still playing guitar, bass, ukelele, banjo, etc......

that's my story.
  3. I took band in 6th grade and played the trumpet, friends got in the way of that and the teacher was wierd so I quit and didnt take it the next year. After or before that, cant remember which, maybe during, I got a Jr. Drum set for my birthday from my whole family. I decided I didnt want to do that and quit. I wish I didn't. Then in 7th grade I decided I wanted to do that but my dad never got me lessons to help me learn so I quit. But last year in 8th grade my friends were getting a band together and no one at all played bass so I begged my dad for months to get me one and finally he suprised me and did (but I did type ups ome 400 cassete tapes to earn it) and now here I am.
  4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Played sax in year 7, hated it. In Year 11 one of my friends was getting singing lessons for a play he was in, we decided to start a band on the strength of that and I said I'd play bass cos it was a bit different, it seemed everyone played guitar (and sucked) and I didn't know anyone who played bass. So I started playing, that was just over four years ago, and this September I'm going to the Academy of Contemporary Music to do a Higher Diploma in Bass Guitar Performance.

5. Started bass in 8th grade, formed a band shortly after. Started drums last year, formed a band shortly after. Started guitar this year, formed a band shortly after. i still play all 3 and all 3 bands are still together (though the first is in need of drums at the moment, which means im playing them and going bassless until we find a drummer). Im in 11th grade.
  6. Played French horn in school band in 6th grade. Never liked it. Was almost talked into bass by a friend who played guitar, but that never went through. In 8th grade, I bought The Best of Jimi Hendrix, and I went out and bought a guitar. Flash two years later to Ocotober 2003, different guitar playing friend and I are talking about us playing together, and how nobody plays bass. That night, a bass playing girl I know from another town mentions that she is selling her bass, so for $100, I got a rogue! A month later, I buy myself a Fender Precision and Fender bassman combo. Here I am today.
  7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I was crafted by the finest Earth scientists in an apocalyptic future. I was sent back in time to avert an alien invasion by locating their advance invader forces operating undercover in our society, and eliminate them. Secondary objectives include: the destruction of the evil Dr. Beezobulo's doomsday device; Apprehending the Exploito Corp. chairmen; and phase out the popularity of reality TV and dating shows.

But... my luggage got lost on the way back through time so I've just been chillin' for a bit.
  8. Began taking Steel Guitar lessons in the fourth grade..10 years old I think.
    Took lessons for four years.
    During the second year I was playing around West Texas with a country band. (at age 12)
    I took lessons until there was nothing else the teacher could teach me. I could pretty much sit down with a strange group of pickers and play anything they threw at me.
    Of course As a teenager, the steel wasn't cool.
    A fellow named Royce Porter (who is now a well thought of writer in Nashville) taught me a few chords on the guitar. Didn't do much with that other than get together with some guys and dream about making it big with a band.
    In the Army in Europe in the early 60s ... found some guys to get a band together..but nobody played the bass, so I volunteered. We wound up traveling with the USO around Europe for a year doing a Beatles imitation show among other types of music variety shows. No better audiences than soldiers away from home!!!
    In 1967, all the members got out of the Army and back in the states. We all met in Connecticut and got the band back together. Did 4 years on the road around New York state and the New England States playing clubs and bars and opened two or three concerts. Paul Revere and The Raiders was one we opened that I remember well. This all cost me two marriages so I quit for 25 years. Got back into the Bass two years ago with the church choir. That is my cuurent gig, and very satisfying. Feeds my music and faith desire. SWMBO is in the choir so we can do it together.
    My $.02
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I Heard a couple 'o rock tunes 'n said: "...whoa!"
  10. was handed a guitar at age 6,gave it to my brother he got prettyy good on guitar,so by the time we were about 12 we had drums and bass added to the house we would have this all day jam sessions,with a lot of friends coming over
    he taught me some 12 bar blues ,started
    taking lessons at age 12 for bass, quit after playing for few years,picked up a bass to play in church at age 32,now play in victory in heaven blues band,for the last 4 yrs,been taking lessons for about 6 yrs now
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Piano from 9-11
    Recorder (mandatory in school) from 10-12
    Guitar for 6 months
    Bass for 6 years and counting
    Vocalist for 2 years and counting (backup and lead)

1 year stint on Tuba in High school.
  12. ThatOneGuy

Jan 2, 2004
    I started playing the DB in the 4th grade and I still play it today and 3 yrs ago I bought a bass guitar because my friends wanted me to play in the band they were starting. I can't play any other instruments :( but hopefully I'm going to start learning the guitar this summer. :D
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No interent in anything musical until I turned 17-ish. I tried the bass at age 17 as a way to meet girls. Lost interest in playing after the girls never flocked to me.

Picked it back up again two years ago, at age 30 at the urging of a close friend. Been playing steadily ever since. My musical life is full of regrets as I wonder how much better I would be today if I had been playing continuously the past 17 years. :(

14. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I decided I wanted to play music.

That was apparently too lofty a goal, so I settled for badly playing music instead.
  15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Check this out, this is a good story!

My brother and I both got plastic mickey mouse guitars for Christmas almost every year as young children. They never lasted a full year in one piece, hence the reason we got them every year, we loved em!

I was about 8, and my brother 9 back in the very early 80's. and we went on a bike ride. We heard a loud band playing in a garage, so we invited ourselves, and stopped. It was awesome, we both knew this was something we wanted to do, so we went home and begged dad for a real guitar and amp. $40 later, Dad came home with a pawn shop special for us to share, it was a beaut. We beat around with that for a while, and after a year or so, my brother kept on the guitar, and I decided to move to something else, bass. The rest is history.

The cool part of this story is, just a week ago, I figured out who the bass player in the garage band was that inspired us. Not for positive, but I am pretty sure it was Pat Del Turco, TB's own "Cheezewiz". The era was the same time Pat was playing in a band with the garage owner / guitar player in that band. Pat and I have become pretty good friends over the last year or so, and neither one of us knew of this until recently. I thought when I met Pat a year ago, it was the first time we had met. How cool is that?
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That is definitely a cool story.

I met the guy that made me want to play bass at the Tower Records in Tacoma one time.....Duff McKagan.

17. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    These are all very cool stories...Keep um coming :bassist:
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    In 4th grade i took up trumpet. Did it until beginning of 7th grade when i got braces and i lost interest due to the fact that it wasnt enjoyable to play anymore.

In the middle of 8th grade my friends and i decided to start a band. None of us played anything, so i chose bass.. and yea. We have been playing together WELL for about a year now and have 3 originals out so far.
  19. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I tried the piano when I was 9 (I think) and I didn't like it.
    I started playing classical guitar when I was 12 and loved it. I quit when I was 16 but started again when last fall. I also started playing electric but I sold it to be able to afford a bass. Now I want it back.:(
    I started playing bass when I was 14 and that's my favourite.
  20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Around 8th grade my Dad (bless 'im) bought my brother and me a couple of cheapo acoustic guitars. We gave up, thinking we didn't have enough talent (in reality, the guitars had terrible action).

In high school (1976), my brother and I made friends with classmates who were in a rock band. My brother convinced my dad to buy him a good-quality acoustic guitar and he began taking lessons. One Friday night our friends' rock band played at a party in our garage. They left their gear overnight. My brother and I helped ourselves to their gear the next day. He was strumming some chords he'd learned. I picked up the bass, and discovered that I could figure out bass lines to simple songs such as Train Kept A Rollin' and Sunshine Of Your Love. So, I convinced my dad to buy me an inexpensive electric bass. I was self-taught for the first few years, but eventually took some music theory and fretboard lessons from a guitarist, and a couple of music theory electives in college.

Note: I didn't choose bass because my brother chose guitar. Fact is, since being a huge Beatles fan as a kid, I always liked the bass lines to songs... it's the instrument I wanted to play.