1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what's your next bass going to be?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Jun 5, 2019.

1. DistortedBass

DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Schecter Guitars Endorsee
    Big thanks to you for watching!

2. Happy with my P and Warwick CS Trujillo, but I was wanting a Pedulla again for a while since my first was purchased well-used and had problems...and now Michael P. retired, so a matter of getting one while they’re around...but I fell in love with Ken Smiths...but the PRICE....gotta save for a year or so! LOL

3. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    A white pb-70 fender precision from Japan. It's perfect for the project I've got rolling right now. I've got about another 300.00 to go before I have the cash. I grab a 20 here and there, or take some band money and stash it. Once I get the money I'll pull the trigger. I thought I would have the rest by now, but things are tight so no cash for the kitty for the next month or so.

4. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Being honest, at age 66 going on 67, it’s doubtful I’ll be buying another bass. If I’m going to buy anything, i’m Really intrigued with agedhorse’s Mesa Subway D-800 and do away with my rack. Of course, If I replaced the power amp with the Subway, the rack would still have my Eden Preamp, power supply, and tuner, and drop about 25lbs in the process. Looking at the design of the Subway however, it looks like it would be more than adequate on its own. Unfortunately, neither the 2 GCs or Sam Ash stock this head, and for $1,000, I want to play it for a while before parting with cash.

pcake likes this.
  5. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    A Fender American Deluxe Dimension

Edgetone likes this.
  6. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Sonic blue CV P

Robert Darby likes this.
  7. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    After buying a brand new Ibanez in Aug, 2018, my New Year's resolution for 2019 was a custom made boutique bass. And well, we all know how those go...

What I didn't imagine in 2019 was buying a 33 year old P style bass for $65, investing $183 in it to bring it back to life, and it becoming my best player. I also didn't envision two weeks after that purchase, fixing a 7 yr old Ibanez SRX2EX2 bass right there on the pawn shop floor(loose knobs:laugh:), walking out the door with it for $150, and it becoming my 2nd best player.

Of course after 42 years off and on playing bass, I never imagined playing flats either. But I've now sworn off rounds. And I never imagined having a P style bass after my first bass way back in 1977. And both of those happened in 2019 as well.

Which leads me to this, Dean Guitars...

I'm friend's with someone who actually has a Dean Signature series being released in their name sometime this year. Have even seen one of the prototypes done in a metallic paint that matches their car. I thought to myself, might be cool to check out one of their instruments later when it comes out. But then with my recent purchases, and modding, and falling in love with P style basses, and flats, even that has changed.

Then it happened...
    Someone commenting on a post I made here, shared with me that there are several Dean Bass Guitars that are on sell, like almost 50% off on sale, and are great for modding too!

All of these are in the 200 - 250 range...
    So do I go Jazz, P/J, or P?

_all.
    I'm really leaning towards another P style, (the black one, since my other P bass is white) upgrade it with EMG GZR P pups, a Babicz Full Contact 4 String Bass Bridge and flats. Nothing better sounding to me right now than those EMGs in a P bass set up with D'Addario Chrome flats. It just cuts through the mix so well.

But I'm torn, maybe I should buy two? Then which two? P and Jazz? or P and P/J? Definitely want the black P to go with my other P, kind of yin & yang , see pic below. Or I could buy 3, P, P/J, and Jazz. But I'm already in enough hot water at home. I will not have any peace until Christmas if the delivery guy shows up at my doorstep with 3 bass guitars.

all_rs.

Or I could forget all of that and go with one of these for a P/J setup, I really love that off white,
    Yamaha BB234...
    _all3.

Why does buying "economically" priced basses have to be so hard?
    I won't even start about my next rig...
    Still trying to figure out how to slip that one in un noticed.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  8. Fathand

Fathand 21st Century Distortion Man Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    I don't know what I'll get next. I've got my bases covered, so I might just go bonkers with a plain fingerboard 6 string fretless or something... it would at least give me something to work on, for a very very long time :laugh:

Clark W likes this.
  9. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    One never has it covered, one just thinks they do :laugh:

Fathand likes this.
  10. Fathand

Fathand 21st Century Distortion Man Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    That is very true. I'm trying to live the lie, though :D

Clark W likes this.
  11. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    I bought, fixed, and modded my first bass this year. Now I've turned into a bass modding junkie always looking for something I can get cheap, dump some money into, and make it better than it's ever been. I think I need some counseling or something.

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Ahhh....GAS? Gear Acquisition Syndrome

mr zee likes this.
  13. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Yeah, but its more than just gear acquisition. It's also about having something no one else has something identical to. And taking something that is barely adequate and making it something worthwhile.

mr zee likes this.
  14. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    S7300801 - Copy.JPG Some kind of Jazz 5 . I have a Talman 605 P/J that I love as my main and an SX Jazz 4 with a 4 band Audere and Duncans . I'm wanting to do it on the cheap so either a Sire V3 or a new Squier Classic Vibe 5. This picture was before the Duncans and Audere .

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  15. Robert Darby

Robert Darby Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Gas problem solved! And yes the covers are staying on. Its going to be my one finger MoTown special. 20190605_210416.

CLMSHQ, Clark W, Nashrakh and 2 others like this.
  16. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    I've got a ridiculous number of basses and the only thing I'm lacking is a legitimate vintage Fender, perhaps something from the '60's in reasonably original condition. We'll see...

mikeswals, Robert Darby and 19sixty3 like this.
  17. Robert Darby

Robert Darby Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Yea I was going to get a real vintage but I decided to go with a reissue. I am really glad I did go reissue on both. I think a vintage or custom shop I would be nervous having one stole or damaged. I am really impressed at first I thought Fender was doing the gimmicky thing and trying to sell these reissues with cheap parts. But, I am really impressed with both. Just a little feedback on both the 62 jazz is killer. I chose to go with the 63 p bass over the 62 based on reviews. I kind of like beefier necks and the vintage burst is even better in person. Fender came out with the 60s just lately though. I like to buy used and you don't really see any of those so far just to new I guess.

18. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    For gigging purposes, a nice reissue is actually a better choice than the genuine vintage model. My favorite gigging basses are realistic FrankenFender tributes I've put together. They look, sound like, and feel the way they're supposed to, but are typically lighter weight.

Robert Darby likes this.
  19. Rich48

Rich48 Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
    B0C5FA7B-CA11-457D-8EFB-AA37DDB075EA. Leaning toward this Maruszczyk Mr. Tee. I’m just not sure I want to drop $1500 on a bass I can’t try that has so little press or reviews.

Bassmike62, Clark W, Nashrakh and 2 others like this.
  20. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Probably a Ric 4003S/5 in walnut...