1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what's your next bass going to be?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Jun 5, 2019.

1. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    I'm just fine for what you might call proper basses.

But last year as a learning exercise I built a crude semi acoustic 6 string just to learn about making guitars, and surprisingly its become my go to for sitting at the desk working out arrangements. No leads and no need to worry about it getting bashed lying about the place (since its not worth anything anyway!). Trouble is bass arrangements I work out on it don't always play on a proper bass.

So I've been thinking: what would it take to make a definitive knockabout bass to sit by the desk getting mistreated. At the moment my list runs:
    headless - because machine heads can get hurt when it gets knocked over
    30in scale - for size
    semi acoustic body - for enough volume to hear

2. Either one of the older Japanese reissue mustangs in vintage white, or a Serek Midwestern 2.

3. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Samuel Shen Basses, NS Design, D'Addario Strings
    My GAS List:
    Muckleroy HMC Fretless 5
    NS Design CR Radius 5

4. Marlon Carbone

Marlon Carbone

Jun 20, 2018
    64205167_2362276617388960_8174340409544146944_o-01. It ships today. Should have it in a few days.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. dannydabiker

dannydabiker

May 24, 2011
    1. Cheap as Hell...parts bass from whatever I can scrounge free!

(There is no number two)

6. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    Another P, now with flats? Or perhaps a Ric

7. Quietly planning a custom build. A string-thru, neck-thru 35” scale Fretless 5 string. Chambered Pawlonia body, maple burl cap with matching headstock, lined ebony fretboard, running Dominger Carburator passive pups. Basically combines the elements I love in my current two basses into the one instrument. My first ever bass was a Yamaha RBX-200F fretless, and I still regret selling it to this day!!! Just need the coin now.......

8. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    I don't really want anything.......I'm only posting this because I think this is the first time in my life Ive actually felt that way (It also doesn't help that I'm currently doing some gigging as a keyboard player/guitarist)

9. avi

avi

Jun 14, 2017
    An Alembic that I find at a garage sale for $50
    :D

John M Ewers and Yonni like this.
  10. A Yamaha BB235, any day now. Hopefully by the end of this week or the start of next! received_2394139964161708.

Nikol4ik and pcake like this.
  11. avi

avi

Jun 14, 2017
    Go Thumb!!!

12. kbraker510

kbraker510 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2008
    local used shop has a Gretsch Electromatic Short Scale that looks like much fun. i have two electric six string guitar and a 50 watt tube amp that is collecting dust i might trade towards...

Attached Files:

13. LRH

LRH

Aug 26, 2008
    After picking up a second hand model and being really impressed with it, I just ordered a new SKC Bogart Sport 5-string. Headless, 35" scale, woven graphite neck with phenolic fingerboard, Bartolini J /MM pickups with a coil tap switch and a Noll 3-band preamp. Should be a lot of fun! Due for delivery late August.

If you're not familiar with these German bass makers, check them out - Home

14. Lol, this should get a fire started here. My next bass is gonna be a Wishbass built by Steve Wishnevsky, 32" scale, 5 string fretless. Similar look to a Jaguar. Ordered Hipshot light weight tuners and a Bartolini PJ set of pickups for it. I'm 60, so I'll likely be spending the rest of my life trying to learn how to play it lol.

15. GabeOfTheSpring

GabeOfTheSpring

May 3, 2019
    My next bass WAS going to be a Gibson Ripper. Tracked about half of my bands songs we have recorded on our producer's '73 Ripper and absolutely loved it. But they are so hard to track down and once you find them they're anywhere from like 1,500-2,000 and that is a bit out of my price range since I just bought a new Aguilar amp head and cab for about the same price. So instead I am fulfilling a longtime goal of mine and building my own bass with Ripper pickups that I bought! Can't wait to finish it.

16. Dam brother, hide them bass guitars. When my wife and I split she told me she was gonna take me for everything I had. All I had was a nice set of drums and a 1970 Triumph 650. Them gals can be nasty lol.

17. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Prolly too old to buy another bass. Can afford just about anything, can't really justify it to myself - especially since I play recreationally for very little pay anymore. If I was still making a decent living playing music anymore, than maybe. I have a six vintage basses I am very happy to have. They were new, or almost new, when I bought them.

But if I were to buy another two basses it would like a
    Lakland Skyline 55-02 rosewood board
    MTD fretless fiver with an unlined ebony board.

18. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Ouch! Luckily she is not like that and makes more money than I do. So she will take a lot of what I have, but not because it is mine.

19. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    Just clicked this off my bucket list, it replaced my P-bass I’m now Fender less for the first time in maybe 25 plus years. If I get another, and that’s a big IF it will be another Peavey either a Fury or Foundation.

16BC500E-112A-40D3-9EB5-F81D760E3FA1.

20. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Love the T45! I couldn't find one for a reasonable price anymore, so I did a conversion on my Ibby RB630. Now it's a T45 inspired tonal clone, down to the Q Filter.
    [​IMG]
    Matter of fact, those US Peaveys make nice tonal clones: this Patriot (with added neck pickup) is why I won't get a Ric, either...
    [​IMG]