Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your opinion of Snagg?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Le Basseur, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...interesting, Lo-Jack for your bass!!

:hyper:

;)

Without knowing how much they charge for it, I'd be hesitant, but if it's cheap enough, it would be worth it. Might even be interesting to see if they would do an OEM deal....make it a "feature" on basses...

:meh:

3. Trick is installing the thing at the factory. If all you have to do is peel it off and stick it onto something else, it won't work. If it got embedded between laminations building the bass, that would be very cool, if it didn't affect the tone.

Randy

4. Comes standard on all carvin guitars.

5. By the way, it doesn't work like lo-jack, you can't track the instrument with it. Its more like the chips implanted in pets, if I'm not mistaken. Someone with a reader can scan the bass (pawn shops, places where stolen gear would be dumped) and check if that one is listed as stolen, hold it, report it to police, etc. But you couldn't track the bad guy to his lair and catch him red handed by tracking the chip.

The carvin assembly line has probably got readers all over the assembly line, so that's how they "track" the progress of the bass.

Randy

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I knew that, I was just kidding...and yeah, in a bigtime outfit like Carvin, that makes some sense.

We make do with a stamp in the neck pocket and on the heel of the neck...we're a bit more "lo-tech" here...

:bassist:

;)

7. Wasn't sure if you were kidding, but I figured good chance a lot of people might believe it....

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    No sweat, better safe than sorry!