Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your opinion on ESP basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Jan 29, 2001.

1. I recently came across these basses. They certainly are eye-candy, and the specs match up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The top one looks pretty nice, I'm not a fan of the F line though. Looks :eek: to me.

ESPs are pretty well made, and the stock electronics are about like any other bas in their price range, ok to start, might want to replace them down the road.

I'll tell you one thing, though, I would never consider any ESP because of that cheesy plastic inlay with the model number at the 12th fret.

I know, looks aren't that important, but I could not live with that.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I agree with Em-Bel. The top one looks purdy, the others are suitable for a halloween gig and that's it.

I think that the ESP J series (the ones that look like Jazz basses) are pretty good, although nothing remarkable.

Will C.:cool:

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I always thought that the F series were best suited for Batman.

5. SantasCabanaBoy

SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    My friend bought an F-Series a few days ago. He is an experienced bass player who picked it up as a backup instrument and he has nothing but good things to say about it.

6. No worries mate, you can order the fretboards with normal inlays or the ESP logo at the twelfth fret.
    I presonally think that the F-204 in the Copper finish,or Black Cherry, look real nice, as do the other B-Series:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Tom Barney (currently on tour with Steely Dan) plays a quilt-top ESP both on the "Two Against Nature" album and on stage. But it's not one of those ugly ones posted here. Must be OK, if Fagen and Becker will allow it on stage with them, although they give Barney a ration of crap over it on the DVD of the same name.

8. I like the ESP Standard Series B1's...the ones with the BassLines humbucker. Those look really nice. Sorry I'm too computer illiterate to post a pic :)

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    im not a big esp fan...they just dont feel right to me the 2nd i pick them up..i dont think the craftsman ship is all that on them either...but thats just my opinion...i also think they have a weak sound and lack the umph i like that my fenders have...but hey im a fender kinda guy..if you like the esp go for it..i also dont see many people playing esp basses for some reason

10. gothbass

gothbass

Jan 15, 2001
    hey PanteraFan, I have been checking out ESP basses along the LTD line. The F series definately caught my eye. Sure the other basses in the B series have merit, but for anyone who wants serious onstage presence, I place my vote on the F series. You also might check out some of B.C. Rich warlock line. Wicked basses, kind of pricy though.