What's your opinion on Genz Benz cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by reel big bassist, Sep 2, 2000.

1. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000

I was wondering
    what you guys think about genz benz cabinets.
    My main concern is reliablity. I became concerned about this
    when I read the Thread "Genz Benz."
    In the thread "slam" wrote
    "The main problem has involved having resistors
    come off the crossover during a gig, causing the cab to not work." That is a major concern for me. After all we all want our equipment to function right. To reinforce my concern "TCollins" had the same problem. So I would like to
    if any of you have experienced a similar problem. Because I am
    really considering the 2x12 xb. Which is the cabinet that "slam" and "tcollins" had problems with.

I know sound is subjective but I would like your
    opinon on that too. They seem like a really good
    company. Yea I'm really considering the 2x12's. I am also
    considering their 15 cabs, so any opinions on them would be
    appreciated as well. Any opinions on any of their cabs would
    be appreciated. Thanks.

Looking forward to your replies,
    Greg P

P.S. Catch 22 rules!!!
  2. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Hey it's me again,

I was wondering if anyone has compared
    Genz Benz's stardard series to their xb series.

I am considering one of their 4x10's as well.
    A good thing about the XB's is that they come with wheels.
    Although, wheels
    wouldn't be that hard to install on their
    standard series. What really draws me to
    the xb series is their sensitivity rating.
    The 4x10 in the XB series has a sensitivity
    rating of 104! The 4x10 in the standard series
    has a sensitivity rating of 102 still relativly
    high. So I was wondering. What do you guys think
    about the different series. Advantages & Disadvantages.

Reel Big Bassist

P.S. I also like the porting on the XB series.
    Catch 22 rules :) Gotta love ska

[Edited by reel big bassist on 09-03-2000 at 04:17 PM]
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think the GB's are excellent bang-for-the-buck cabs. I have a 210XB and a 12T. I've decided to sell both because they're my third choice as far as rigs to use on gigs behind my AMP BH-420/Modified Yorkville 115 (EV)/ Yorkville 210 rig and the Ampeg B-100R.

The XB's have lots of bottom and a crisp top end, not as much low mids as I'd like. I play mainly fingerstyle and slap with mainly fives with low B's. The 12T (12" w/tweeter) sounds nice but it can only do some much as far as volume due to physical limitations.

Hope that helps.
  4. I spent 4 hours at Chuck Levin's Washington Music trying out different 4x10 cabs. The Genz-Benz 4x10 XB, IMO, blew away all the other 4x10 cabs they had on display. Hartkey, SWR, Peavey, etc., they just sounded better to me.
    Then they brought out the 6x10 XB!!! I bought it and I have not had any problems with the cabinet at all!!
    Just trust your own ears and wallet!!!!!
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Excellent advice, Chuck.
  6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I use a Genz Benz 210XB as an alternative to my 8X10 cab when I'm playing smaller rooms. There have been no problems with the crossover or any other components. It is very solid.

This cabinet is ALMOST big enough sounding to use as a stand alone at medium volume. The specs say that it goes down to 50 Hz. It's no Acme or EA, but matches or outperforms Peavey, SWR, Ampeg and others I've tried. I agree with Brad that the punchy mids aren't quite there, but it does have a pleasant, balanced sound.

I paid $350 for this as a demo with full three year warranty. I've owned it for over a year. It is an above average cabinet for the price.

[Edited by Bob C on 09-04-2000 at 11:43 PM]
  7. TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    I presently have two GB 4-10TXB cabs - The cab that lost the resistor is currently at the dealer where I bought it and is being repaired(under warranty). Even without the resistor (which I understood to be part of the tweeter circuit)-this cab sounded great. I was instructed by the dealer to turn the attenuator dial to the lowest or "off" position. I never had any problems with the rest of the speakers.
    The GB 410TXB is one of the best cabs I have ever owned in spite of the broken resistor.
  8. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I still use my GB (now without the tweeter) and it still pumps. Maybe you should see if they make them without the tweeter.