1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats your Opinion on Stringing BEAD?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, Apr 8, 2009.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Just for fun I was thinking of getting a MIM Jazz 4 string and trying it strung BEAD. of course I would have to file the nut a tad to get the strings to fit , but what do you guys think?

2. I think you won't have a G string. Kind of like a stripper raised in a Catholic family.

3. I did it on a cheapy bass. It was cool as a backup to my 5 string. In the end I found I played the G string more than the B. Of course, take into account that I am going through a 4 string pase and the 5er has been neglected lately.
    On a side note, I just barely had to file the nut on for the b string and when I restrung it to standard tuning everything worked fine.

4. kdog15

kdog15

May 31, 2008
    Baltimore
    go for it. I have a MIM jazz, and an american jazz set up like that. I love it, and have never missed the G. I also play in a band where my guitarist is down tuned, so take that into consideration too.

5. MarkyDynaBass

MarkyDynaBass

Mar 19, 2009
    Melbourne
    I've been swapping between standard and BEAD on my DynaBass for years without any issues, no filing, no tuning hassles when swapping back.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I did it to a Ric 4004Cii, brand new. Risky? Nah, it plays great, so great, in fact, I sold my only 5 string. Idk how the mim Fender will hold up, but the Ric seems to be made for this tuning. (i used a .125 B string)

7. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Thanks guys, I think I'll do it.

8. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    Used to do that too. Now I don't need the low string anymore but it worked just fine back then.

9. It's a good idea if you never plan on using the G string and will always use the B string.

Just get a Squire Affinity 5 string. They're alder now -- the old ones were agathis -- and, from what I've heard, pretty good quality. I'm considering getting one myself.

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I did it with a EB/MM Sterling a few years ago and I loved it. I am thinking of doing it again soon!

11. lanceropolis

lanceropolis

Mar 10, 2009
    So. Cal
    +1 on this. I have a fiver, and I use the B string so rarely (but it is nice to have). I use the G string (insert your own witty comment here) a ton.

12. Hi.

A great way to play the low bottom without the need of a wide neck and/or tight string spacing.

The only downside IME is sometimes the need for the bridge relocation (Ibby GR) and the lack of BEAD string sets.

BTW G-string only adds 5 notes to the other end of the fretboard so it's not a big deal, not to me anyway ;).

Regards
    Sam

13. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I'd be lost without my low B. If I had to choose between the G and the B, I'd definitely go with the B.

I love my 6-string, though... Best of both worlds :)

14. if you are thinking of that tuning then i would recommend at least a P bass neck... jazz is just to narrow

15. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    You only lose 5 LAST notes on G string when you tune BEAD. You can find "most of your g string" in other positions of the neck. So what's the problem?

If you need 5 more low notes - that's for you.

16. A word of caution that i haven't seen posted: watch your neck for changes...I had a Geddy Lee jazz a few years back that i strung BEAD, and the neck actually started bowing because of the extra tension. It did fine when I restrung it EADG...

17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    BEAD is generally *less* tension than EADG, the B & E strings are the lowest tension, espcially the B.

Anyway, BEAD is a fantastic tuning for more low end, metal, and blues.

18. I'll do it With my Stingray soon.