Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats your opinion on the MIJ 75 jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Aug 5, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Are they any good? Is the basic construction as good as on US Fenders (Not changeable parts as tuners etc)?
    Would it be better with other pickups?
    Which jazz pickups is best for a warm, fat and round sound?

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I have been impressed with the MIJ 75 RI's that I have played. Overall I think these basses tend to have been built very well. You certainly save a bundle relative to the new MIA ones and I don't think that there is a huge quality sacrifice. Any "vintage" or "reissue" bass made by Fender tends to be done very well.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I really like mine. It has become my main Axe.

IMO They look great, sound great, and play great. I won't change a thing on mine. :)

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Excellent basses.

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks guy!
    I´m going to play one as soon as the store opens.
    Lets hope its not sold already.
    Whats a good price on a used one these days?
    They are pretty rare here in Sweden.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I got mine for $425 US Dollars, with no case.

7. They are indeed, and most of the used Japanese Fenders I've seen, have been in the ~7 000 kr range. Might be dearer, though.
    How much is the one you're thinking of, and in what store have you found it? Tip Top?

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It was 7800:- ($780) and not that impressive to play. I wont buy it... I think...but it is so pretty...

9. I bought a Japanese Telecaster a couple of years ago just as they started to finish the manufacture. I remeber Japanese versions costing about 50% of the USA ones. Generally they were extemely well made (probabily causing a few problems in differentiating against the higher priced USA models - after all why did they stop making these?) and had querky design stuff like fat necks and old ststyle design features, and of course a range of preCBS model remakes. In my opinion this should be 50% of the new USA Jazz price - and that's the discouted price not list. Anything else is just too much and they're selling it for rarity value as you can't get them now.