Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's your opinion on this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kenbuntu, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
  2. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    anyone? bump?

3. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    I no like it.
    Why? you thinking of getting it.

4. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    maybe...but is there anything else out there that is cheaper that is good? bcause the specs for that bass arent that bad man.

5. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    The specs look good. I just don't think it looks great. How much is it.

6. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    400 but wiht tax 460(canadian dollars) and it looks ten times better in black. look for a blk finish in it and youll love it man

7. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    You're right it does look good in black. I usually like red better than black basses. I can't think of any other bass off the top of my head.One will come to me soon.

8. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    so what kind of music do u think this'll be good for??

9. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    eh
    probably punk and funk but it's hard to judge from the specs.
    Don't take my word for it. But that's what stingrays are good for.
    What do you play?

10. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    i've played the five string version, quite nice but knowing it's yamaha, it'll need a set up. go for it. tight string spacing though, well, on the five anyway.

11. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    hey T_T have you finally found a way of getting a new bass without selling your old one for a price you won't get?

or have you wrecked your old one on purpose yet?

good luck on your campaign :)

12. looks pretty good...i'm not sure how much 460 canadian is in USD though

13. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    $372.80 american

14. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I played one at GC. I liked it pretty well actually. The spacing was wider than a J, IIRC, which is a plus in my book. The neck was quite round, and a little on the fat side - not my cup of tea, but the overall playability was good. I managed to get some pretty good sounds from it, but don't buy into the maketing hype - it's nothing like a Stingray. That said, I've always liked humbuckers, and this bass delivered about what I expected in that department.

Anyway, my memory is a bit fuzzy now, but I do remember being impressed with the bass in an overall sense. It depends on what you're looking for, but as a first bass or an upgrade from a starter bass, I think this would be a solid choice. If you don't mind buying used, I'd check eBay for an RBX774. The 774 looks basically the same, but has better build quality, and, I believe, a 35" scale. You could probably get one used for the same price as a new 374.

The RBX374 seems to be pretty common around here, so if you have any larger shops in your area, chances are good that they'll have one. So look around a bit, it's always smart to try before you buy.

Edit: Just did a search on the 774, and apparently they came in both active and passive. If you decide to check them out, make sure you know which is which.

15. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I own the 5-string version of this bass. It is a great sounding (if you like humbuckers), great playing (right out of the box) instrument.

It hangs well (balance) and I've received a few compliments on the looks of it.

I don't know if you will find it's equal for that price Canadian. I'll bet anything of similar quality will be higher in price. But there are some nice cheaper basses out there. Any chance of you heading to the states to do your shopping?

Oh, and I got the red one.

Good luck!

:D

Joe.

16. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    yamaha makes good basses, good specs for the bucks, but i dont like the look of it, but up to you what you want :)

17. 15% sales tax? :rollno: those crazy canadians

18. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I really like the look of those... yamaha basses are well built and are very reliable for the money. I play yamaha and wouldn't mind owning another. I've been thinking about getting one of those bad boys. I like it in silver better than red, but whatever...

19. Gawd Blimey that's an ugly Mo Fo!!!!! :meh: :p

20. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    thx for all the help..and i would get a 774 fookgub, but i cant seem to find one over ebay..can u post a link?