1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

whats your opinions on acoustic basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JamForChrist, Sep 1, 2008.

1. i want an acoustic bass. for like 400-700$. um i like blues(stevie ray vaughn, not country), jazz, jam band, so something bright and smoothe but not too dim. WHAT WOULD YOU ALL RECOMMEND?
    also, ive never even played an acoustic bass, do you need an acoustic bass amp or regular amp. also, can you play slapbass just as easily on one? THANKS

2. For what you are describing I'd say you'd be further ahead with a regular ol' electric bass.

If you do go ABG (acoustic bass guitar) you will need to amplify except practicing alone at home. A regular bass amp will do. An ABG cannot be used unamplified when playing with other musicians.

ABG's do not slap well.

I speak from direct experience. YMMV.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to all of that

4. thanks man that helped alot. im just oigng to head up to gutiarcenter tonight, last day of labor day sale there. im either going to upgrade my amp from a crappy "acoustic" brand that im dissappointed withl. or im going to buy an acoustic/electric bass. any way i thought this thread never got made so i made a new thread with the same topic. DONT POST HERE ANY MORE. because the other one has more replies so ill keep that one going. peace yall thanks

5. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    in my limited tiem playing the acoustic basses, i find that the low price ones are crap-more so then low price electrics. only the high end ones sound good. and they are harder to play