1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's your PA situation tonight?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Nephilymbass, Aug 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Playing at the Calico Room in Wilmington NC. Small PA but plenty for the size of the venue. Weird thing about this place is the soundguy doesn't use a board out front like most places. He mixes with an IPad that he walks around with. I think it's pretty awesome. Even the venues we play with top notch pro PA there's always people running back and forth between the board and the stage if there's any kind of issue. This guy brings his iPad on stage between bands and if there are any issues. Pretty cool IMO. IMG_3137.JPG

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    What year are you typing from ;) . EVERY pro PA has iPad mixing control these days - only old obsolete PA's don't.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  3. Lol most of the places we play use PA gear that's at least ten years old.

4. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Trucked in on the backs of dinosaurs I'm sure ;) .

You can buy a 12 channel digital mixer with wireless iPad control for $190 shipped these days :wideyed:.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Venue we're at every week does the iPad mix thing via a digital mixer. Our main FOH guy(and system owner) is currently touring the world as FOH for a metal band.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    IMG_3082.JPG Here was my PA situation tonight. Doing sound not playing though. Great Hendrix Trib band with Leo Vigil on drums, Pete Roberts on bass Ralph Woodson as a Jimi... Wow!

PA is 4 way with EAW subs and Renkus Heinz tops. All time aligned and Industrial EV power. System kicks serious butt.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Nephilymbass likes this.
  7. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    ^ I see it killed the grass LOL

kittywithabanjo and Nephilymbass like this.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    it had to be gone by the end of Leo Vigil's drum solo. Good lord that guy can play!

Actually that space is watered daily but it gets a lot of event use this time of year. Fourth show I've done there this season.

9. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Yeah, we employ the same SE all the time now. Easy set up, just gets his tops and single sub with one monitor, rest of us have IEMs.

Board consists of a Mackie snake/input thingy and his iPad. Then we each just download the app and control our own monitor mixes via iPhone. He just chills in the back or walks around and we control whatever we want on stage. Beats using the talkback mic and constant adjustments for sure

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Nephilymbass and s0c9 like this.