Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's your personal best for number of songs learned in a short period of time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CJ_Marsicano, Dec 7, 2001.

1. how many songs in how short a time have you had to learn for a gig?

in my first professional band, i auditioned on a friday, got the job, was handed a 40-something list of songs, learned about 30 of them all day saturday off of records or in a couple of cases, from memory, wrote the changes out on notebook paper, and was pretty much prepared on sunday for my first formal practice with them, considering that i'd already known about ten of the songs beforehand, not counting the few i had to learn for the audition!

2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    wow thats alot of songs.but i think i would rather spend my time making my own stuff up and/or learning one or two really hard songs. i had this one band and we hade like a 60 song set list, but i didnt like any of the songs(and they were all covers). then i had another band that had like 15 realy good origanals. which one do you think i had more fun in;)

3. that's a pretty bad attitude, son. i learned a lot in my year and a half with that particular group, definitely one of the best groups i ever played with. why only travel up the one particular road?

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I don't think I've ever been thrown more than a song a day so I guess the most I've learned is about seven in a week.

I learned 4 Zappa-like songs in 5 days once which was definitely my biggest challenge. Riffs that followed guitar solos, off timings, insane changes, jazz like lines I never played. The band provided me with those "oh so useless tabs" for the basslines. There's no way I'd have been able to do it without them.

5. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    A while ago I landed a house gig with a top 40 / country band on a Sunday night (Jam night) that started on Tuesday. I learned about 30 tunes Monday afternoon, did my final gig with the old group Monday night and about another 12 tunes Tuesday afternoon. (then we did a bunch of different tunes Tuesday night. Luckily the Keyboardist gave me numbers.)

6. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    first of im not your son and dont try and belittle be by calling me that:mad: . i wasnt trying to take the wind out of your brag bag, i was just puting up my opinion. and im not just going one way , i try to make each one of my origanals different. its cool to learn songs in your room and play them but giong to gigs and making money off of them without the artists' permission, not cool:mad:

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    First I must say... I see trouble coming......

Second, I must say I think this is a sad view of covers. Playing covers IMO helps the bands whose covers are being played. More exposure. I don't think there's a band in the world that would mind, and not feel honored by someone performing their material. Being able to earn money from that is the way the majority of musicians earn their livings.

It's hard enough for us to earn money playing. If musicians had to start paying others to play their songs.... well, I can't really seem to picture any good scenarios that being the case.

Sorry for the sarcasm here but going by the above idea I guess we would best stop singing Happy Birthday, The Star Spangled Banner, any song ever played at a wedding, etc., etc., - if we couldn't get the author's permission.

I understand peoples choices to play only originals if that's how they feel, I do think it's wrong though to knock others though who would prefer getting payed to play others music, as opposed to working for the Post Office. And of course, yes, the ultimate way to earn money playing music is to play your own and do it.

8. first of all, i called you "son" because of your age and because of your attitude. you're entitled to your opinion, but the way you delivered it was dissapointing.

second of all, most clubs that hire any kind of live entertainment usually get licensed through ascap and bmi and pay flat fees so that bands can play whatever material they please.

third of all... walk a mile in my shoes. when you have to play cover material for a general audience to make a living, then you can talk.

i'm sure you can solo... but can you play with a group. i don't mean in a group, but _with_ them, as one cog in the machine? i'd like to hear how you'd really do in a group situation that calls for playing songs rather than flash. i've seen a couple of cover bands where the bassist kept playing fills and parts that weren't there in songs... needless to say it was the same bassist and he didn't last long in either band.

9. joe,

domo arigato, danke shoen, thank you!

cj

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LEEPRESSONNAILS

How much money have you made playing originals? I have been in 3 different originals bands, and none of them ever made a dime. Yeah, it was fun writing our own songs, and I love composing a bass line for a new song, but originals don't pay the bills unless you make it pretty big, and sometimes don't even then, due to bad business deals.

I don't make my primary income playing bass, I'm a professional geek. I play for the joy of playing in front of people. But the little money I make is nice, especially now that my wife is unemployed.

11. back on course...

when i did that first formal practice with the group, they were rather shocked that i had learned that many songs in a single day! i think that solidified my position there for the time being...

12. embellisher,

thank you!

cj

13. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    whats up with all you people bashing me just because i dont care if i make money from playing. embellesher nice to see that you have stooped to a new level of name calling. if all you people play for is to make money and not for yourself, you shouldnt be playing.by the way not to over glorify myself but i can play very well in a band situation. i love to make intricate songs as well as very basic songs. i dont get the same feeling when i play other peoples music. im going to be the bigger man and not hold a grudge. i diddent mean for my statment to be offensive to you but if it was im sorry. i hope you accept my appology.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LESSPEANUT

No offense intended on my part, if you haven't noticed, playing around with puns on each others usernames is kind of a little game that a lot of us play around here, originally started by one of the stalwarts down in the DB section, DEADPUKESPRAY(Ed Fuqua) and quite often engaged in by SPAZZBLOW(Jazzbo), DURRL POWER(Chris Fitzgerald), EMBEZZLER(Me, in case you couldn't guess) and others.

But I can see where guys(and girls) who play covers for a living could take offense to your remarks.

15. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    thanks for clarifying that for me you cool in my book;)

16. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    still waiting for a post from you cj

17. i accept your apology.

however, my statement of how you need to walk a mile in my shoes insofar as playing covers still stands. trust me on that one, being in a cover band is a learning experience in and of itself.

18. So far I've read this thread with some interest - I decided to inflict my opinions on the group - please take what you like and leave the rest.

I've already done five years of playing covers - but it was some time ago and I'm a lot smarter now than I was then ;)

Until you have a couple of gold records under your belt, people don't pay musicians to play what they want - they pay for what they want to hear. Club owners want the club filled - that means getting (and keeping) the bar packed and as some really wise person said earlier, getting the girls on the dance floor. No girls, no packed bar. If the girls don't dance nobody does.

My own style tends to be a little too melodic to play covers so I'm trying hard to tone it down - I didn't learn this lesson years ago and have a tighter focus now and am more intolerant of folks who don't know what they want to do with their band. If folks want to play in a garage for a few years that's fine - but the question I ask these days when someone wants to build a reputation in town is "how are you going to get to where you want?".

Original material is fine - and having altruistic musical motivation is also fine but it usually doesn't put food on the table. People pay to hear what they want to hear.

I play mostly power blues these days - Clapton, SRV, Johnny Winter, Elvin Bishop. My second favorite is '50s and '60s stuff (Little Richard is the King of Rock and Roll). I like that kind of stuff because - you don't have to be real smart (or real talented) to play it and sound good, and (most important) everybody likes it. I'm still looking for the right gig, after auditioning (and auditioning for) several bands. Last weekend I had a singer in a prospective band tell me the greatest musical influence of the 20th century was Jon Bon Jovi :rolleyes:

I must have missed that - hair bands were never my thing. They had an interesting Bon Jovi/Journey/Poison/Travis Tritt mix that pretty much guarantees they're gonna stay a basement band :(

Anyway, high musical ideals are great - but a dose of reality injected into those dreams probably isn't a bad thing. My hat's off to folks who play Top 40 covers - been there, did that. Don't like it, but I do understand that in order to get recognized people have to recognize what you're playing - at least until your band's name will pack the bar all by itself :D

My other pet peeve? Poorly-thought-out sets. You get the folks on the dance floor and keep them there, but after a couple of high-energy numbers folks get tired and would like to slow down and/or get another beer. Much as some bands hate to play "Open Arms" or "Wonderful Tonight" the girls just love it and it gives people a chance to catch their breath.

Do you play "Shout" in the middle of a set? If so, what do you follow it with? Do you open your first set with a ballad if your primary focus is rock? I hope not. I see an awful lot of talented people who could be a little more popular if they paid a little more attention to what they played and when they played it.

sorry for the rant,

allan

19. Go Allan_G. That wasn't a rant, it made perfect sense. May I unofficially award you a gold star for the post that made the most sense of the day. I'm gonna print this thread.

Mike J.

20. You should have been there...

allan