What's your phase ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AllodoX, May 31, 2002.

1. So... what kind of phaser are you using ? :)

Myself, i'm using a George Dennis Stereo Phaser / volume pedal.

[​IMG]

This baby was handmade in Czech, and is 100 % kick@ss ! :D

It has 4 knobs and an optical-controlled rocker.

the 4 knobs are : rate, depth, feedback & minimal volume. the 'feedback' button gives a bassballs-like swoosh to the sound, if it is turned up.
    the optical-controlled (!) rocker has 2 functions.

when the led is lid, it controlls the blending of the phased signal and the clean signal.

when the led is not lid, it is a standard volume pedal.

if you push the rocker way down, it presses a small switch that turns the phaser on or off.

the unit costs 75 Euro ( about $ 65 ), and even tho it's not specially made for bass, it keeps the lows in VERY good ( hear the demo for proof ;) )

for a little demo ( 1.45 mb ) : http://www.allodox.nl/media/phaser.mp3

demo = mr.P -> Phaser -> Aria Pro AB30 amp.line out -> Sound blaster Live! value.line in -> Steinberg wavelab 4.0 -> mp3

EQ was done on the AB30 only, no additional, digital EQ'ing was done on the PC.

2. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I use the classic Phase 90. I was sold after trying it out one time, and didn't feel the need to try any other phasers out.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    EHX small stone and Boss ph-3

4. benevan

benevan Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    I love phasers! Probably my favorite effect. I owned a Doppleganger which is incredible but I found myself never using it except to mess around with, so I dumped it. That was before Lovetone "closed shop". I'm looking at the prices they are going for now and am kicking myself. Oh well...

Right now I own an Akai Intelliphase and a Ross Phaser and use the Ross (my guitarist has "borrowed" the Akai). Can't be more pleased with either.

If anyone is in the market for a phaser, you owe it to yourself to check out the Akai. It's analog, true bypass and it is going for $40-$50!!

I have serious GAS for a Sobbat Phase Breaker...

5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Man, I need some modulation effects. I've been using my buddy's Akai intelliphase for gigs lately. It's a great sounding phaser, very subtle though. I dig the moogerfooger 12 stage, as well as the small stone alot too. If I buy one any time soon, It'll most likey be a small stone

6. My MXR Phase 90 has an exceedingly chewy grind that I dig. It accents the upper mids somewhat so can be prone to feedback if you use a whizzer or something (I don't.) Very bass friendly and used by many players which has to say something...

[​IMG]

What I REALLY would love is an envelope controlled phaser; THAT would be very cool. Hey Big Feet!

7. c'mon people.. lets hear some samples !

i had the guts make an mp3, so now it's your turn ! :D

8. vintage '70s MXR Phase 90 (script logo) is my phaser--I've got to get it modded with true-bypass.

I also have a univibe clone as part of a Captain Coconut 2 made my Foxrox. It's great for guitar and cool for bass.

Sobbat Phasebreaker II is supposed to be the bomb. I could see getting this one day too.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, CLICK HERE this is the boss in "step" mode.

AND: CLICK HERE ALSO (need flash for this one) it's the small stone and the bass balls.

10. Blisshead...that was so silly; I loved it!

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool! Those devils crack me up.

12. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I just picked up an Akai Intelliphase. It was only $40 at zsounds.com. I still have to play around with it, but it seems like a great deal if phaser is your thing. It is analog and has a true bypass so it doesn't junk your tone like that boss and Dod stuff can. There is two sounds I like so far. A lightly effect tone with all the knobs on low gives you a faint warble at the end of the notes that is cool.
    Also I like the wacked out sound of every knob cranked, it make an almost watery warble.
    I can see its limitations but it is a nice toy.
    It seems to me it would work best for slower,heavy music or spacey jam oriented stuff.
    I give it a thumbs up.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"It's just a silly phase I'm going through" - 10CC from "I'm not in Love"

:D

14. Another PHASE 90 user right here :D

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    allodox- does the george dennis drop out when you switch it on at all?

i was reading reviews on harmony central, and someone reviewing the non-volume phase unit said that it did...

(and do you have any experience with the volume/chorus effect? i'm REALLY interested in that one...for some reason my comp won't d/l the george-dennis.cz site :mad: )

16. uh.. if you mean that the volume drops if you press on/off.. no it switches on clean without popping, clicking or other sounds.

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    okay, then it must of been a freak unit or bad reviewer or something.

does anyone know how many stages the mxr 90 and boss ph-2 are?

my guitar player is lookin in to gettin a stomp box phase. and i can safely assume that he's goin after that incubus phase sound.

i know that the incubus guy uses the mxr and two boss ph-2 units (well "super phasers" but that is what the ph-2 is called, right?).

anyway, i also know that the akai intelliphase is 4-stage and cheap AND TRUE BYPASS.

so i'd like to know if the mxr and boss phasers are 4-stage, as well.

also, if anyone has played all three and can compare them, that would be appreciated.

geez, you would think that I'M getting it or something...

:D

18. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Bass Pod Pro model(MXR phase 90). Money,Money,Money,Money...MONEY!

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i've got this figured out now:

intelliphase: 4-stage

phase 90- 4stage

ph-2: 12-stage.

4-stage: "funkier", dirtier, etc.

12-stage: smoother.

my friend is more into smoother sounding phasers...

is there any other 12-stagin' phasers besides the boss and moogerfooger?

the moog' is WAY out of our league...

is the george dennis unit 4- or 12-stage?

20. I would KILL for a touch-sensitive phaser ala' my Phase 90. I seriously dig envelope controlled fx. The Akai almost touches on that...not really tho'.