What's your phase ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AllodoX, May 31, 2002.

1. So... what kind of phaser are you using ? :)

Myself, i'm using a George Dennis Stereo Phaser / volume pedal.

This baby was handmade in Czech, and is 100 % kick@ss ! :D

It has 4 knobs and an optical-controlled rocker.

the 4 knobs are : rate, depth, feedback & minimal volume. the 'feedback' button gives a bassballs-like swoosh to the sound, if it is turned up.
    the optical-controlled (!) rocker has 2 functions.

when the led is lid, it controlls the blending of the phased signal and the clean signal.

when the led is not lid, it is a standard volume pedal.

if you push the rocker way down, it presses a small switch that turns the phaser on or off.

the unit costs 75 Euro ( about $ 65 ), and even tho it's not specially made for bass, it keeps the lows in VERY good ( hear the demo for proof ;) )

for a little demo ( 1.45 mb ) : http://www.allodox.nl/media/phaser.mp3

demo = mr.P -> Phaser -> Aria Pro AB30 amp.line out -> Sound blaster Live! value.line in -> Steinberg wavelab 4.0 -> mp3

EQ was done on the AB30 only, no additional, digital EQ'ing was done on the PC.
  2. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I use the classic Phase 90. I was sold after trying it out one time, and didn't feel the need to try any other phasers out.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    EHX small stone and Boss ph-3
  4. benevan

May 2, 2002
    I love phasers! Probably my favorite effect. I owned a Doppleganger which is incredible but I found myself never using it except to mess around with, so I dumped it. That was before Lovetone "closed shop". I'm looking at the prices they are going for now and am kicking myself. Oh well...

Right now I own an Akai Intelliphase and a Ross Phaser and use the Ross (my guitarist has "borrowed" the Akai). Can't be more pleased with either.

If anyone is in the market for a phaser, you owe it to yourself to check out the Akai. It's analog, true bypass and it is going for $40-$50!!

I have serious GAS for a Sobbat Phase Breaker...
  5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Man, I need some modulation effects. I've been using my buddy's Akai intelliphase for gigs lately. It's a great sounding phaser, very subtle though. I dig the moogerfooger 12 stage, as well as the small stone alot too. If I buy one any time soon, It'll most likey be a small stone
  6. My MXR Phase 90 has an exceedingly chewy grind that I dig. It accents the upper mids somewhat so can be prone to feedback if you use a whizzer or something (I don't.) Very bass friendly and used by many players which has to say something...

What I REALLY would love is an envelope controlled phaser; THAT would be very cool. Hey Big Feet!
  7. c'mon people.. lets hear some samples !

i had the guts make an mp3, so now it's your turn ! :D
  8. vintage '70s MXR Phase 90 (script logo) is my phaser--I've got to get it modded with true-bypass.

I also have a univibe clone as part of a Captain Coconut 2 made my Foxrox. It's great for guitar and cool for bass.

Sobbat Phasebreaker II is supposed to be the bomb. I could see getting this one day too.
  9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, CLICK HERE this is the boss in "step" mode.

AND: CLICK HERE ALSO (need flash for this one) it's the small stone and the bass balls.
  10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool! Those devils crack me up.
  11. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I just picked up an Akai Intelliphase. It was only $40 at zsounds.com. I still have to play around with it, but it seems like a great deal if phaser is your thing. It is analog and has a true bypass so it doesn't junk your tone like that boss and Dod stuff can. There is two sounds I like so far. A lightly effect tone with all the knobs on low gives you a faint warble at the end of the notes that is cool.
    Also I like the wacked out sound of every knob cranked, it make an almost watery warble.
    I can see its limitations but it is a nice toy.
    It seems to me it would work best for slower,heavy music or spacey jam oriented stuff.
    I give it a thumbs up.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"It's just a silly phase I'm going through" - 10CC from "I'm not in Love"

13. Another PHASE 90 user right here :D
  14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    allodox- does the george dennis drop out when you switch it on at all?

i was reading reviews on harmony central, and someone reviewing the non-volume phase unit said that it did...

(and do you have any experience with the volume/chorus effect? i'm REALLY interested in that one...for some reason my comp won't d/l the george-dennis.cz site :mad: )
  15. uh.. if you mean that the volume drops if you press on/off.. no it switches on clean without popping, clicking or other sounds.
  16. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    okay, then it must of been a freak unit or bad reviewer or something.

does anyone know how many stages the mxr 90 and boss ph-2 are?

my guitar player is lookin in to gettin a stomp box phase. and i can safely assume that he's goin after that incubus phase sound.

i know that the incubus guy uses the mxr and two boss ph-2 units (well "super phasers" but that is what the ph-2 is called, right?).

anyway, i also know that the akai intelliphase is 4-stage and cheap AND TRUE BYPASS.

so i'd like to know if the mxr and boss phasers are 4-stage, as well.

also, if anyone has played all three and can compare them, that would be appreciated.

geez, you would think that I'M getting it or something...

17. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Bass Pod Pro model(MXR phase 90). Money,Money,Money,Money...MONEY!
  18. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i've got this figured out now:

intelliphase: 4-stage

phase 90- 4stage

ph-2: 12-stage.

4-stage: "funkier", dirtier, etc.

12-stage: smoother.

my friend is more into smoother sounding phasers...

is there any other 12-stagin' phasers besides the boss and moogerfooger?

the moog' is WAY out of our league...

is the george dennis unit 4- or 12-stage?
  19. I would KILL for a touch-sensitive phaser ala' my Phase 90. I seriously dig envelope controlled fx. The Akai almost touches on that...not really tho'.