Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats your pick for overall best bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassistGod, Aug 22, 2002.

1. G&L SB-2

6 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. Lakland Skyline 55-01

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. Warwick Corvette

6 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Peavey Cirrus

21 vote(s)
    18.9%
  5. Peavey Millenium

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. USA Fender P bass

21 vote(s)
    18.9%
  7. USA Fender Jazz

28 vote(s)
    25.2%
  8. g&l 2500

16 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. conklin groovetools gt5

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. So which bass would you choose if you had these choices and limited funds..cough, cough... like me?

I'm looking at buying a new bass, and just when I think I've narrowed one down, I suddenly want a different one. Sort of like what happens with girlfriends.

By the way if you want to ramble about why you chose the one you did, especially if you own it, feel free to ramble on about it. I soak up bass reviews like a sponge.:D

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    G&L basses are great, and their pickups destroy Fender's on low end.

Besides, the two pickups in that baby gove you a ton of versatililty.

Peace
    Nick

3. Well, I want to say the Peavey Cirrus because it sounds so darn good, but the Fender's are classic and you can't deny their overall usefulness in many situations. The Lakland is great, too, but I think I'm gonna go with the Cirrus cause of it's versatility.

If you're willing to spend that much on a bass, though, you should keep checkin' around for others. Ever try a Spector? You should.

4. Yeah I've tried them, but they sound anything but classic to me, and I'm not to keen on their appearance either......but then again my preferences seem to change with the wind lately.

5. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    El-Rick-von-berg-man-stein-feld.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cirrus' don't really sound like a classic either. But that is my choice. It is the most versatile, and IMHO the best, in your poll. I own a 6 and it is killer.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

You didn't mention anything about 'classic' sounds in your post!!! Oh, and if the Spector doesn't sound classic - how can the Warwick be on your list???:confused:

If classic is high on your list (rather than best overall bass) get a Fender P-bass!

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - you have left out a whole lot of great basses - where are Ken Smith, Alembic, Tobias/ MTD, Fodera, Sadowsky - many people would say that for "classic" - Sadowsky is the only choice! But you have loads to explore yet! ;)

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Voted for Fender Jazz. I would have liked to see a Sadowsky there though.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what's your price range? i added a couple to the poll that i felt were missing and required. what do you think about ricks? one of them should be up there too.

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I voted for the G&L SB-2.. I think those are great basses... However.....

If you want to go used... you could get many great basses... just a suggestion

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Limited funds.. cough cough was mentioned.

Everything listed is fine, depending on what "you" want. My answer to the question would probably be the 55-01.

13. Bruce Lindfield

I just re-read and didn't realise he was talking about the Skyline - the normal Laklands are more expensive than Sadowskys over here!

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Maybe I should send my 55-94 to you, Bruce;)

15. Bruce Lindfield

Well I'm sure I could sell it for you in Britain at a huge profit!;)

16. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Of those you mentioned, Cirrus would be my choice.

17. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The Peavey Cirrus, then the MIA Fender Jazz.

18. Used is definitely a better option for me because of the limited funds and the more bang for the buck. Might as well take this opportunity. By the way if any of you fine gentlemen own one of these basses and is thinking of selling it, give me a shout. I'd rather buy one from a fellow talkbasser than through ebay.

19. I would have to say Cirrus -- I have a passion that borders on the obscene for my Cirrus V -- they're gonna be burying that honey with me when I go I think :)