Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your poison?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by balembic, Nov 11, 2003.

1. get in touch with my inner child

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. make a living

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. collect fine works of art

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. get chicks(guys)

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. get away from my real job

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. have the biggest instrument in the band

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. entertain myself

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  8. satisfy my need for wood and wire

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  9. pay bills with extra money

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  10. lose money with extra bills

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  11. cover my inability to dance

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  12. tease the carrots

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  13. just be different-explain

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. balembic

balembic

Oct 17, 2003
    Huntington, WV
    I know I'm new so don't flame me for this poll. This has got to be the best board around. In the past few weeks that I have been following this board I have learned 1000 times what I could learn here on the streets of West Virginia.

The thing that has suprised me most is the desire to be or the owners of 6, 7, and 8 string basses. My Friend Dave Pomeroy answered it best in this Q&A.

What is the advantage (if any) in a 6 string or 7 string bass? I can see a clear advantage in a five string, but not in these others. I have even seen pictures of a 10 string which looked much more trouble that its worth.
    -----Ted Fifes

Dave's Answer
    Hi Ted. Great question. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the bass. The 5 string made a lot of sense because it expands the range of the bass downwards, which was a reaction to keyboardists extending their lower register.

8 and 12 strings are different because the fundamental notes are the same, with the addition of high octave strings, one per note on a 8 and 2 per note on a 12. I often play these with a pick.

The 6 and 7 are primarily for those who want to play above the 'normal' bass register. I often jokingly refer to them as "get you fired" basses! I used them on my record as guitaristic solo instruments, but I rarely if ever bring them to recording sessions unless it is a VERY unusual project. To me personally, the 7 makes as much or more sense than the 6, because at least you have 2 extra strings as opposed to one, which seems like an invitation to disaster, especially as it is usually tuned to an high C. I have experimented with different tunings on the 7 which give you a little more flexibility.

Having said all this, I have seen a number of bassists do amazing things with 6,7 and 9 string axes, from total slap madness to chords/ walking bass simultaneously. Again it all depends on how you hear the bass and what you want to do with it. Hope this helps...

Good Luck, DP

My question is, How many of you are sitting on your couch on Saturday nite playing your 6,7,8, etc string bass while others are out paying the bills and very happy with 4 strings.

EDIT:
    While they may seem a little unrelated, my point is that sometimes rather than just playing we spend too much time thinking "I wish I had one more string" or "I really need 1000 more watts" or "If the grain on my top was deeper, I would sound better". My example of 6, 7, etc.. string basses was taken from my situation where reading this board was causing me GAS for one. Until a couple of weeks ago when I got to play a seven and I realized, why in the world would I need that.

I just wanted to spark discussion on why we do what we do. Not to put down anyones choices. Kinda like the guitar player in my band. He has purchased at least 15 amps in the past four months. I can't tell if he is on some quest for the perfect tone or plain ol' collecting amps. I think his wife wants to send him to a psychiatrist to find the answer soon too.

2. What more can a person ask for? To beable, to make a living, with something you love!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    At the moment it's entertain myself! I guess it always has been, but I agree with Treena -

What more can a person ask for? To beable, to make a living, with something you love!

I would love to make a living out of playing bass. It's just that I couldn't right now - but would love to some day, and it is a dream I am working on (slowly....)

4. I voted for "To get the chicks", of course! :p

Seriously, I don't know. It's just a need that I feel. I would feel incomplete without making music. And if it wasn't the bass, then it would be something else. It's just that the bass first attracted me, in part because it wasn't as popular as the guitar or drums, so I thought, more playing opportunities for me! :D Now I stick with the bass 'cause I simply love its rich, warm voice.

About your question on the number of strings, I feel like I have all the range I need with my two fretted 5-strings. I don't think I have the technical ability to blow it on a 13-string instrument, and I'm happy to hold down the groove, and I can do the occasionnal solo on my wimpy little 5-string. I surely love to hear some bass virtuoso tear it up on a extended range bass, though! :bassist:

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I play Bass just so I can hang out on TB and check out the ombudsman's avatars.
    :ninja:

6. PERVERT! :D

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    In the few instances where I've been paid, I've adapted my playing to fit to the situation regardless of what bass I use. I usually do bring my seven to those gigs as it's most familiar to me and I play better with it than my fours. In my experience, the bias against extra strings seems to be fading away, as all nonsensical things (that don't involve religion or politics) usually do. ;)

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Entertain myself/express my music to peeps.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i play bass for all the above reasons...

except to tease carrots.

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

PERVERT!

Who said they were his?
    ---
    To entertain myself.

Je m'amuse.

Don't bother yelling out names of songs you want to hear, I could care less.

;)

11. I'm the only one that voted tease the carrots. I'm a individual !

12. i wanna rock. (ROCK!)

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I play bass for the enlightenment of the mind.

14. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    He stole your girl's ? not that there's anything wrong with that !!!!!:eek:

15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

shhh, we swap sometimes ......

16. See, we like to share everything... Except our basses, of course.

17. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    real nice. nice selection also.

18. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    It's funny that you put the "cover my inability to dance" option on there. That's usually my response when people ask me about playing bass.

So I had to vote for that one, naturally.
    But I really play for myself ...and maybe just a little for the ladies. :D

19. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I play for the love of playing!

I don't make any money from it. :(

But that's fine by me, you couldn't pay me enough to stop playing.

:D

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cyanide, definitely.