Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your preamp and why did you get it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve_man, May 18, 2002.

1. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Why did you choose that preamp that you have now.

Thinking in the future about giving my effects loop a bit of tubey sweetness and looking for suggestions. Suggestions don't have to be a preamp

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    SansAmp RBI - tubey warmth without tubes.

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

A lot of trial and error...and checking out various pre's. I now own quite a few which I use for various situations.
    In the past I have used:
    Yamaha PB1
    Pearce BP1 &2
    SWR Grand Prix
    Kern
    Custom Rack Mounted Neve Mic Pre
    SansAmps (a couple of different models)
    Trace Elliot (the big one...forgot the name)

Now I am using:
    Raven Labs MDB1 and PHA1 (my main performance pre's)
    Avalon U5
    TL Audio Ivory series Mic Pre
    Avalon VT737 Mic Pre
    Joe Meek Channel Strip
    ART Tube Mp

all serve different purposes, and each colors things a bit differently.
    If you are looking for some nice warmth, with features and a "pro" sound....it will cost you...but check Demeter, Aguilar, Kern, Euphonic Audio (EA) and Raven Labs. I am right now looking at picking up the new Raven Labs Universal Instrument Preamp...which is killer!
    Max

4. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I picked up a used Sadowsky outboard preamp late last year. It runs on a nine-volt and is smaller than a box of kitchen matches.

Reasons: impeccable reputation of Sadowsky, preamp generally regarded to be ideal for smoothing out passived Jazz and Jazz-style basses, portability and convenience.

Very pleased with the purchase, but admittedly didn't do a whole lot f comparison shopping...

5. Bass Pod. Why? So I didn't sound like every other bassist on planet Earth.

6. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I have 3 pre's I have used at various times:

Trace Elliot GP12SMX
    Ampeg SVP-BSP
    Ashly BP-41

Right now I'm using the Trace for my Modulus Q5 and the Ampeg for my Yamaha fretless.
    I picked the Trace because it is a top quality, well made pre with a very smooth sound and immense tone shaping possibilities. It also has the best, smoothest compressor I've ever used. As far as the Ampeg, I thought the channel switching capability would be cool; turns out the overdrive channel sounds like pure crap used by itself, but when combined with the clean channel and turned down so it doesn't overdrive, it is a nice and punchy preamp.
    Of course, none of this will matter when I finish my all tube preamp that I'm building from scratch! Does anybody else around here do crazy things like that? Or am I just nuts?!

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    SWR Interstellar Overdrive

it has that perfect blend of real power tube warmth and swr clarity.

but right now, i'm just using a bellari la120 as a preamp because the swr is in the shop. thank god my bass sounds awesome DI'd, cos my rig still sounds really good.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Right now I'm just using my Sansamp bass driver DI. Soon to be at my doorstep will be a carvin DCM1500 and I've been looking around for a good rack pre-amp.. I'm thinking either Ampeg, SWR, or Aguilar... such tough choices

9. SWR Interstellar Overdrive.

1) Active EQ (both cut and boost)
    2) Double DI, one for board, other for bi-amp rig
    3) Lots of voltage on the DI
    4) Grind by footswitch control
    5) HiFi response in flat mode
    6) Quiet electronics

The first 3 items are the real big points for me. The grind is nice, but I really don't use it much.

My previous preamp was the Alembic F-1X which was nice, but I didn't care for the Fender tone stack. Search the archives here for lots of discussion on this, including my graphics.

The single DI on the F-1X was pretty weak, much more so than the unbalanced out. I always run fully balanced XLR connections, and the F-1X was out of gas for this. Its DI is apparently tamed down to not be too hot for a mixing board.

The IOD also has a standby switch, even though mine is currently broken. I like power and standby switches on the front of the preamp.

I would buy this preamp again, should mine get destroyed or stolen. I wouldn't buy the F-1X again, but this is just personal opinion on my part.

10. I's gots the Ampeg SVP-BSP...I picked it cuz it's got the tube, overdrive channel, and channel blend capabilities.

11. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I have an Ampeg SVP-Pro. I bought it because I used to own one several years ago and since I sold it, I have missed it. My reason is simple....it has a nice overdriven tube crunch and also sounds nice and clean when I want it to. The "footswitchable" eq comes in handy for some extra midrange boost (or whatever "range" boost you want or just a volume boost) when required. Has a good DI for the board also. Again, the reason I chose it is that it gave me the tone I wanted and was not too expensive:)

12. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Mine is a Carvin Pro Bass 15. I bought it used for $99 because it was cheap, and because I knew I could get a schematic and hot-rod it til it sounded good. Which I did, successfully. :D

I was looking at a used SVP-BSP today at my favorite music store. It's been there a while. If it's still there the next time, I'm taking it!

13. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    maxvalintino:

Looks like you've been around the block with some great gear. Have you ever given any thought about writing some brief reviews? I for one would like to hear your impressions. I've been searching for anybody who's had any experience with the Glockenklang pre's.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    You gotta clear something up for me. cause your post is incredibly obtuse. :confused:

do you want something like a tube preamp floor box to put into your effects chain, or do you want a full blown rack tube preamp. i'm surprised at the responses to this thread cause people just sorta threw out whatever has a tube in it, when in fact we have no idea what he wants. :rolleyes:

if its any help, here are some links to 1 space rack tube preamps.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47302

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46019

15. Ampeg SVP-PRO - tubey warmth with tubes.

:D

16. Kern IP-777

Incredibly clarity, quite versatile and simple tone controls, not too many controls, great DI.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Right now I choose from these 3 preamps:

a) Alembic F2B: tubey goodness, incredible dynamic range. Currently in need of repair (glitchy connection somewhere, nothing major), but prior to that gave me over 15 years of trouble-free service.

b) SansAmp Bass Driver DI. So much tubey goodness that I haven't gotten around to getting my Alembic repaired.

b) tc electronics 1140: four-band fully-parametric eq/preamp with nearly unlimited flexibility. Typically I use either of the tubey preamps for tone and kick this in for eq tweaks in clubs with weird acoustics, but it's always in my rack and I've used it all by itself in situations where I've traveled light (jam sessions, rehearsal).

18. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Had the SVT2-P pre with 6 12ax7's. sold it and got an SWR head. clarity without sterility is beauty. The aggie pre's are quite the dank also.

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got two units preamp units. A Peavey BassFex multi-effects unit and a Peavey Max. Both are pretty nice to me.

I got the BassFex because I had a need for a quality effects unit but I didn't want to spend a lot of cash at the time. The BassFex's functionality and caliber of useable effects really was more than I was looking for. I primarily use it in the effects loop but as a bonus, I can also use it as a preamp when needed.

The Peavey Max is a very nice preamp IMO. It's an under-rated preamp and it's performance is at a high level. This is a versatile unit that can be picked up at a reasonable price even when buying new. The features include a tube & solid state channel that can be used individually or combined & blended to taste, graphic EQ and a built-in crossover to name a few. Peavey's stereotype of having poor tone does not apply with the Max.

20. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I chose the Aguilar DB 680 because I really like the tubey sound and it cuts through very well. The construction is excellent and it is suitable IMO for just about any kind of music:cool: On the other hand, it's really expensive!:eek: